Possible dead horse topic re: waist rigs

Myker

BANNED
Hey guys and gals,

Hope um not beating a dead horse here but I'm looking for waist rig suggestions. I've always used a backpack to go hiking but I'm starting to want a little more movement now that I have a little guy to lug with me. I'm thinking a Maxpedition Proteus as a starting point. Where from there? Also any suggestions for belts to carry it all. Thanks in advance for your time. Pics always help.

Have you considered lumbar packs? perhaps mountainsmith day? with strapettes.

I got nothing against maxpedition, infact own a few of their products, I just find them a little bulky and heavy.. besides Redura is awesome.:D:thumbup:

Oh yeah! Fanny Packs!

fannypaack.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:p
I also am not much help as I wear a backpack.:(

Proteus has a bunch of small pockets, instead of a larger compartment, and has no provision for carrying water bottles or a hydration bladder. More for carrying EDC stuff, and the total opposite of what I'd want for hiking. I don't think much of Maxpedition bags or packs in general when it comes to outdoor use.
Also wouldn't want much of anything on a belt unless it has a hipbelt, and/or suspenders.
I use a Mountainsmith Day that is more than big enough for dayhiking, and that I wouldn't want to use without the "strapettes"(shoulder straps). The Tour is smaller, and would probably carry what I need in a smaller package.
What kind of gear are you wanting to carry?

kudos for another mountainsmith user!

get one, I promise you will not regret.:thumbup:

With a little guy to lug around, a bigger bag better than a small bag. A lumbar bag is okay if it is just you, but when you add a kid, the amount of stuff that YOU will be carrying goes up by a lot. You don't say how old the "little guy" is, but if he is old enough to walk on his own you will appreciate having a real backpack for the stuff that HE needs. If he is too young to walk on his own, look in to the packs that are also baby/toddler carriers. If he is big enough to carry his own pack make sure he doesn't have more stuff than you can carry with your pack. Eventually, you will end up carrying everything... I've got two boys (6 and 2) and there isn't a lumbar pack big enough for the stuff that you may need. And if there were, you wouldn't want to carry it...

I love lumbar packs for a day hike. Keeps your back much cooler, when really all you want to carry is water bottles and a little food. You don't need to worry about what belt you are wearing because a good lumbar pack fits so ergonomically that the weight is carried on your hip bones. For that reason, it's really best to try one on in a store as opposed to ordering online, to find the best size (volume) and fit for you.

My favorite lumbar pack is an Osprey that has been discontinued for years. I just looked up the current Ospreys and was not impressed with the aesthetics. Very cheesy.

A good one that is in current production is the Mountainsmith Kinetic II. It's large enough to carry quite a bit of stuff, but still light and comfortable. Again, trying them on yourself is the best bet.
2afjtwz.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys, well the little guy is 18 months, able to walk for a while but needs a good amount of attention and quick reflexes to pick up off the the trail. I'm basicly thinking of about day hike essentials, a little food, water, stuff jacket, multiple tool, bk2, etc.

I'm another fan of the Mountainsmith lumbar series...I have a Tour that I find more than ample for dayhike and edc...I find the strapettes work wonders for dayhikes, and they are easily removed for edc carry...

Thanks for the responses guys, well the little guy is 18 months, able to walk for a while but needs a good amount of attention and quick reflexes to pick up off the the trail. I'm basicly thinking of about day hike essentials, a little food, water, stuff jacket, multiple tool, bk2, etc.

I would definitely go with something that gets the 18 mo old out of your arms. How long is "a while?" If he is anything like mine, you will be carrying him for a substantial portion of the hike, if for no other reason than to have a bit of control over him. Something like this would be better in my mind even if you are only carrying him 30% of the time (but I'd expect the % would be higher than that)...

some good advise here...

I frequently hike with my son (age 5) and have the mountainsmith "tour." It is robust, comfortableand reliable in every way - and "right sized" for me. Any thing bigger than that requires shoulder straps for support and you might as well just move up to a day pack IMHO.

Normally, I can stash enough food, water & outdoor essentials in the vest I wear. But if we are hiking for more than an hour or so, I may carry the lumbar pack with extra water, crackers, MREs etc. I will also use this rig for hiking with my 1yr old daughter in a child carrier backpack (haven't used the kiddie carrier yet...). My normal mode of carry is my "modified vest" that has 2 rear (sewn on, old pants cargo pockets) that fit GI canteens & cups perfectly or an MRE.

The other drawback to lumbar packs (besides the obvious lack of capacity) is the wear of them may obstruct the draw of your conceal carry handgun if you carry IWB like I do. This is a concern for me...but may not be for you. However, I ususally only carry water on the off-hand side so this helps with the draw. In general, I like to spread the weight of the items out over vest, belt and waist-rig as to maximize comfort whilst hiking. I like to have my hands free to grab dogs & kids...

Lumbar packs are a good comprimise if you know your limitations and range. For any serious hiking a quality day pack is better.

I like the maxpedition thermite. I can carry all my essentials in it while using a backpack for sleeping gear, food, etc for over nighters.

I think a high quality, relatively large (800-1000) lumbar pack would suit your needs pretty well. I use one for hunting for just that reason (more range of movement)- it's a long discontinued Dana Design, but still has a lot of life in it :)

As far as belts go I'm in the midst of prototyping a simple Sam Browne-style cross-belt made of 1.5" heavyweight polypropylene webbing for wear over jackets and the like. Should be a pretty good alternative to the lightweight outer belts a lot of folks presently use for carrying their gear since it'll transfer some weight off of the hips without getting in the way of backpack straps if you decide to double-team your carrying options. :)

I use a military webbed belt and hang stuff off of it. Sometimes I go as simple as a Canteen pouch w/canteen, M16 Mag pouch and a Blackhawk E&E pouch. Other times I wear a Buttpack with Y-harness along with 2 canteens.

Good luck with your search.

might look at the Kifaru Scout, or tailgunners. Scout is a pack, but hangs pretty low, tailgunners are "super" lumbar packs that you could add suspenders to if you like.

I use a military webbed belt and hang stuff off of it. Sometimes I go as simple as a Canteen pouch w/canteen, M16 Mag pouch and a Blackhawk E&E pouch. Other times I wear a Buttpack with Y-harness along with 2 canteens.

Good luck with your search.

I too carry 2 canteens with buttpack on a GI belt and Y harness. I've been thinking of adding another pouch though. Maybe a dump style. Probably bigger than the M16 pouch is what I need.

Back