Possible improvements to the next gen Matriarch 2

Hashishiin

Gold Member
Sal and Co, as well as the Spyderco fanbase, has expressed interest in an upgraded Ma2. I think it is very close to a perfect knife for it's purposes, coming from a big-knife lover, mainly for SD but COULD be pressed into utility if I needed to, just like the Lil Matriarch and unlike the Civilian. I love all rev-S blades though, and am trying to collect each reverse-S model.

The main ideas I see for improvement are as follows:

Stainlessness, this, I hear from everyone, wanting one in H1 (H2, now) or LC200N, but as I said, I like to have one for certain utility tasks... But the new Magnacut L.E.One karambit folder from Emerson and Lionsteel gave me an idea.. I didn't wanna get it cause I feel my ringed Ma2's fill that spot, but.... Spyderco will in the next few years be rolling out Magnacut, and I think this would be a great idea for the knife - it is a strong, tough steel, which is great for its intended application, it has good edge retention which is useful for other purposes, too, like in the garden with wet mulch.
Due to the fact that it is often carried for a long time in a place very close to the body without being moved, even I have had the VG-10 on my satin EDC Ma2 spot up just a little, was really easy to get off, but still. (I am sure the TiCn would help a bit, that's just my extra one). So, a more stainless version would be great, LC200N maybe, but Magnacut would really be the shiz-nit.

Jimping on the hump - the Lil Matriarch has jimping on the hump, the Endura has jimping on the hump, Black Talon II has it... the Ma2 and Civvie do not have this for some reason, why not? I would very much prefer the jimping on the hump. What is the advantage of it not being there? The Civvie is a different story, I'd love to see a comp lock Civvie with all of these traits and a wave, at least an aftermarket, but I digress.

I can use Endura scales on them so the scale/color issue is not a big deal. Kind of wanna put red trainer scales on my TiCN black Ma2, just to look vampire-y. As for what I love, I love the wave, that is a great feature and what won the knife for me over many others. I love it for multiple purposes, too, and just as a collector. I love the ring I installed on both Ma2s and my Lil Matriarch, and my Ma2 is one of the only knives I have that is a true EDC.

What would you do to improve this already great design, for the "salt" one coming up, or would you choose a carbon steel? What would the ideal scale material be? Any changes to the design? :)

Pic needs to be updated, missing two serrated M4 Dodos and my Black Talon II, which belongs with these.

Back