Possible New Forging Challange Thread

If you feel like including some less experienced smiths I'll happily have a go with some.

This sounds like an awesome project! I don't get to forge much and haven't done any hamons, but now I want to cut up some 3/32" W2 from NJSB I've had here for a bit and do a chef knife with a hamon! Maybe if I can get that done I can join, but I can't wait to see what everyone does! It would be sweet to see a tanto or wakizashi with a wild hamon!

I'd be interested in participating if you feel I'm worthy and if all the spots haven't been filled. Curious about the timeline though. By when would the pieces need to be finished?

Examples of my work can be found here:
www.aldrichknifeandtool.com
Instagram: aldrich_knife

There was no time limit. The thread would stay active as long as folks were working on their knives and posting the progress.
Other folks who wanted to make a knife from W2 and post their results (and any tips or a WIP) would be welcome to join the thread.

I was looking for some experienced smiths who wanted to use some of this legendary steel but am not opposed to newer folks who think they could do a good job forging it and making a hamon. What makes this steel special is the very low manganese. It produces a very nice hamon.
I'm working on a list and figuring out the overseas shipping rates and will post it and some details soon.

I'd love to participate in the challenge! I've done hamons in 1075, 1095 and W2, but have always wanted to try some of the old DH W2.

I just found this thread.
My brother bought a propane forge and should have it set up by early to mid spring.
I was using charcoal forge before...too much chance of melting the steel to risk it on a legendary alloy.
I have a piece of stag with crown ready to go. Pith cored out already.

I would be interested in joining the challenge.
Will have gold membership again in a couple a weeks, so could send message with address then, or email if required sooner.

MmTeeck.jpeg

r0yjXX9.jpeg

yAgR6wv.jpeg

0NZoO9G.jpeg

h6KTcwq.jpeg

Already have made wooden template for tang matched to the cavity in the antler. :)

U9OYJEz.jpeg

Last edited:
I would love to participate in this challenge, and I definitely like the idea of a charity build. I'm actually right in the middle of a large W2 hamon chopper build.

Travis

I haven't forgotten about this. I have been swamped with Church work and getting ready for the Knife Show in Harrisonburg.
I had a lot of emails and such from people wanting this steel. The reason and intent of the offer was to those who can forge the steel into a nice blade and do a HT for a hamon. I appreciate the requests from new smiths and stock removal folks, but that is probably best done on regular W2. Several overseas folks asked, and I will consider them individually, as shipping can get expensive to some countries.
I'll get on it after the show in April.

Fun story:
I took a heavy bundle of 36" steel bars to the post office Monday. I had taped them together with fiberglass reinforced tape and padded the ends. The label was in the center of the bars. The clerk looked at me funny and said, "I don't think you can ship them like this? You have to wrap them in paper or plastic wrap." I replied that I have shipped an anvil with nothing but a label on the face and a tennis ball taped in the bick. He checked with a fellow clerk and was told there was no rule against shipping without wrapping as long as the item was safe and unbreakable.

I think this would be an excellent challenge and fun to show off what people are thinking, especially in the bowie department. If I make the list, I have some mammoth that would look fantastic with it. Or maybe some bog oak and wrought iron.

Back