Possible problem with Buck Tarani?

I just got my Buck Tarani 882, and I must say I love it. I'm going to be putting it through the paces over the next few months while my Sebenza takes a rest. I do see one issue with it right away....

Many police officers carry their folders clipped in their rear sap pockets. They literally "sit" on their knives all day long. I see how the blade has a rough "sandpaper" finish adjacent to the clip. I can see how this finish will eventually rub against the sap pocket and cause premature wear on uniform pants.

I've got a few knives that cause excess wear on uniform pants due to the shape of their clips and even clip placement. That's one reason I carry a Sebenza, as it is very kind on my uniform. We shall see what the new Buck Tarani does to my sap pocket. Let's hope I don't have a "Tear-ani" on my hands.

I have to admit I have been more and more tempted to pick up an 882 since first seeing one at the NY knife show.

The knife has lots of eye appeal, has some unique and interesting features, and the price is right.

The liner did seem a little flimsy when I picked it up (but maybe that's because I had just picked up a giant Strider).

There are times when my Sebenza seems too precious to use (or lose), and I have been struggling to pick a factory aleternative for awhile.

I am very interested to hear how you like the 882.

Bob,

I was giving my 882 the one-over last night with a Sentry Systems Tuff-Cloth when I came upon this very concern. The roughened surface of the top half of the blade actually started to "snag" the Tuff-Cloth and drag away its fibers, something I'd never experienced before....

I guess it's a "double-edged sword" -- it provides extra secutity for retaining the knife as it sets in your pocket, but unfortunately will cause some wear on your clothing. That said, after about two weeks of front-pocket carry on my jeans, I have yet to notice the inside liner of my pocket to sustain any visible excess wear.

Maybe a Dremel wheel could be used to "polish off" the surface a bit?

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Gents,

The texturing on the blade assists in two handed opening. This coincides with current defensive tactics techniques.

Do not dremel your knife because it will damage it and void the warranty.

We have had local LEO's field testing this knife for months now and there has been no issues with uniform abrasion.

The biggest concern for abrasion is the texture on the handles. That is why we went with a polymer over a laminate to reduce the wear and tear on clothing.

This knife fits in most pistol mag pouches or knife/ tool pouches if you prefer to keep it on your belt.

I wear one every day in my 5.11 pants pocket and have had no damage to them at all.

Thank you for your comments,

Josh

Thanks for your reply Josh. I'm looking forward to torture testing the knife. It has a good feel, great aesthetics, and I believe it will work out very well. I'll keep everyone posted.

Bob

taranimwr.jpg

Edited to add watermark. Unfortunately, people have been using this image for their ebay auctions without permission.

Originally posted by Cosmic Superchunk
Josh, is there a chance in the near future of seeing this new SBT in a plain edge?

I am still looking into that right now. We have more versions planned, but no definates yet.

I will keep you posted,

Josh

Let me relate a little sap pocket knife carry story. I carried large sebenza in my hip pocket for a few years. One day, sitting around the squad room, I went to pull the knife out of my pocket. I felt a little tension as I pulled, so I pulled harder. I got the knife out and in my hand, and noticed the blade was open about half an inch. I felt my, umm, pocket and found that I had cut the lip of the pocket, narrowly avoiding cutting a chunk of ass out of myself.

Back