Post counts on HI.... Should we have a commemorative khukuri?

Rusty used too keep a running count on the posts Uncle Bill made and the total posts in the HI Forum.
Things have changed now with the introduction of the Cantina but although it may have changed it has remained the same with the same spirit and camaraderie for which I'm very grateful.:D
I'm sure we lost a bunch when Spark pruned things a while back but the HI Forum is still first in post count as far as I can see anyway.
We have 11,522 threads and 195,428+ posts after this one.
And with munk's increased posting rate he is going to catch and pass me sometime in the future it appears.;)
Munk posts at a rate of 7.86 a day and I've been posting at a rate of 5.17 a day. Rusty would've figured out how long it would be until he was passed but I'm not that good at math.:p
Just a few idle figures but also wanted to notify everyone that we are gaining on the 200,000 post count.:thumbup: :eek:

Should or shouldn't we have a commemorative Khukuri for when we reach the 200,000 mark?
I think it would be neat.:thumbup: :cool: :D

What does everyone think we should choose for such an auspicious occasion or if we should choose one at all? :confused: :D

I for one agree. As in what to choose......let the experts on this forum do that.

I shall just buy one. :D

Astrodada said:
I for one agree. As in what to choose......let the experts on this forum do that.

I shall just buy one. :D

Astro your input is as good as anyone elses. What if everyone decides on a 30" 5 pound Jange or something and yours would've been the deciding vote for a 14" Bura Tin Chiarra? :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

Maybe another twist?

How about individual post models?

It could be done simply...

100 posts and you qualify for a 12" AK marked "Visit the Cantina"
1000 posts and you can get a 14" AK marked "I have a seat in the Cantina"
5000 posts and you can get a 16" AK marked "Cantina Zombie Squad"
10000 posts and you can get an 18" AK marked with your handle and position ie. "Yvsa - Cantina Moderator" or "Nasty - He just sweeps up the Cantina"

Okay, there will be better ideas...but it's a start!

Yvsa said:
Should or shouldn't we have a commemorative Khukuri for when we reach the 200,000 mark?
I think it would be neat.:thumbup: :cool: :D

A 20" model to reflect the number...

Ah. 20" AK with a blade etch of a khuk smashing a computer.

As Astra

Just saw- Nasty's idea is way better.

I think that is a great idea, Yvsa:)
Mike might be onto something with the 20" length:thumbup: Or the flip side of that might be to make a model that is easily produced by the kamis with a naturallly wide and flat area for any engraving or whatever we decide on. Maybe a 15" BAS with traditional bolster, no chop creep, and it would give a large flat area for whatever clever slogan our noodles can conjure.
Or a brand new model would be cool as well. Just let Bura and the gang get together and come up with something unusual that they can make easily and consistantly.
I like Nasty's idea too. Ya know, it takes a fair amount of dedication to keep coming back and posting. Generally, we'll get people that come in for a spell, rack up 10-200 posts, then lose interest and go on their way. Such is life, but for those of us that stick around and contribute it would be nice to have access to a khuk that was earned. I have a hard time justifying any more khuks. I have enough khuks to do any job i'll ever be faced with. However, i keep buying them because i like getting toys in the mail, and i love the feeling i get by helping out the poorest of the poor. I keep coming back here because this is where my friends are. I don't get out much (they don't let me out much "You're a danger to yourself and society...blah blah blah" These nylon straps are ichy!). So a khuk that you can get only by adding a piece of yourself to the Cantina is nice. This place was built with bricks of Life. Take a chance, extend yourself, and grow. Ya can't do that by lurking alone;)
Anyway, whatever the group decides, i'm on board with it:)

Jake

It's a "cute" idea,but handing out a $150.00+ khuk every few months might not go so well with Mrs Yangdu! :D

Maybe a system to get a raffel on when so many of us get past-say a 1000 posts then put up up some thing like a Biltong;Kumar Karda etc.

Just my .02 cents ;)

I like the idea. I didn't know we were the forerunner here either. I should have. This place becomes a home rather quickly.

When you reach 10,000 posts, you send half your khuks to Bruise.

munk

Krull said:
It's a "cute" idea,but handing out a $150.00+ khuk every few months might not go so well with Mrs Yangdu! :D

Maybe a system to get a raffel on when so many of us get past-say a 1000 posts then put up up some thing like a Biltong;Kumar Karda etc.

Just my .02 cents ;)

Your raffle idea might be a viable one as well, Krull:):thumbup: However, my unclearly stated thought would be that you earn the the right to buy the milemarker khuks. I know Yangdu gives us enough each and everyday. I also know that I would buy a brand spankin new khuk at 1,000, 5,000, and 10,000 posts. Most of my posts are pure fluff, but that is enough time invested to warrant a treat for myself. I've got a good wife that will buy that excuse for me to get another;)
I think Yvsa's orginal intent was that we come up with a special run of something for everyone to buy and enjoy whether you have 1 post or 10,000 to celebrate 200,000 posts. The rest of it was probably me just being too much of an elitist:foot: and not inclusive enough. Life isn't about earning stuff. It should be about speading the wealth to everyone.

Jake

Dang....I think the last thing we want to do is encourage over-posting...go the Busse forum and join a death-chat if you need to get your posting-frenzy fix.

Personally, I stopped looking at my post count a while back because everytime I did...I would end up digging through the archives to make sure at least half of what I posted was helpful and not just frivilous BS...and then I'd moan-n-groan reading some of my "earlier" stuff.....and then I'd get depressed reading some of Bill's old posts...and so on....:(

I do support the idea of a 200,000 forum post contest...see who can guess the day and the hour...or just give it away to whomever posts the 200,000th one. I, for one, will be steering very clear away from it...I've been rewarded enough already. Let some of the new guys have a shot.

I,m not sure how this works . I have my own druthers and have always liked the clean sweeping lines of a light Sirupati . I don,t know if you guys want to engrave this commemorative Kukuuri or if the style would speak for itself ?

I would say if we have a commemorative khukuri, we shall decide on a style and consult Yangdu into making different sizes selling for different prices. Prepaid orders. That way there will be different budgets for different folks.

my 2 cents. :eek:

And maybe an additional small cost added from the purchase that can go into a fund that can help the Nepali people in ways see fit by the moderaters and Yangdu. That I see it as a collective and commemorative effort by all of us here to remember this milestone.

my 2 cents :eek:

Don't like the idea of rewarding post counts AT ALL. I wouldn't even mind if it weren't displayed for public viewing.

As Dan pointed out, it could easily be abused. Not that I think someone could get a khuk just by posting a lot of garbage posts, but don't give the mods something else to monitor.

I thought paying for the khukuri was implied. How did we get to the give them away for posting idea? I think that was just a misunderstanding. We all love HI because its our way to give back. That's what Uncle Bill wanted to do. We have to keep the money flowing through Yangdu to Nepal because thats what he wanted. The value for us is already way overstated in the HI product. You just can't get handmade knives for this money. You can't. If Sarge decided to start selling his Po-Boy knives as a career he'd have to charge more for one than for an HI khukuri.

Dan you make me think about overposting. Sorry guys if most of the time I'm just full of c#$p!

aproy1101 said:
Dan you make me think about overposting. Sorry guys if most of the time I'm just full of c#$p!

Same here;) You guys make a good point. I guess the best way to do it would be to drop it from forum view, then while the forum plugs along someone (maybe the mods and some of the old timers?) could get the design in tubes, once we get close to hitting that mark Yangdu could give us a teaser and start taking orders. Then we wouldn't have to deal with running up the post count just to hit that magical 200,000 mark. They wouldn't be done until they are done. I mean after a couple hundred thousand posts does it really matter if we get the new knife on 200,001 or 201,342?;)
it would be out of sight, out of mind. Maybe they would just show up one day. I dunno. as always, i bow to the will of the forum.

Jake

Back