post flight airport security

It occurs to me that with all the highly publicised security on flights, it's only a matter of time before the criminal element figures out that poeple will be leaving airports unarmed. As another effect of the knee jerk reaction to these attacks, I expect crafty BGs may start frequenting airport terminals and parking outside these precautions. They'll be armed, and citizens comming from abroad will not.
In addition to muggers, and punks, this is a perfect situation for rapists, and serial type killers. Any ideas for protecting yourself as you leave the relative "safety" of the airlines? At the least, they should have some protection for us after disarming us for our own good.

Originally posted by Social cameleon
It occurs to me that with all the highly publicised security on flights, it's only a matter of time before the criminal element figures out that poeple will be leaving airports unarmed. As another effect of the knee jerk reaction to these attacks, I expect crafty BGs may start frequenting airport terminals and parking outside these precautions. They'll be armed, and citizens comming from abroad will not.
In addition to muggers, and punks, this is a perfect situation for rapists, and serial type killers. Any ideas for protecting yourself as you leave the relative "safety" of the airlines? At the least, they should have some protection for us after disarming us for our own good.

When I flew from Newark airport, I found the security inside deplorable. That's another story however. The security outside the airport was much better, with armed state troopers and a very forcibly enforced 10 sec rule (cars left unattended for that length of time were towed automatically). If I were a predator I would find easier pickings elsewhere.
As regards the dangers of people leaving aiports unarmed- well, what's to stop me taking my Chinook out of my luggage once I'm outside? Or carrying a heavy maglite torch? Or a cane?
I also think that if you feel automatically vulnerable to attack because you are temporarily deprived of lethal weapons in the course of finding yourself transport from one secure location to another (airport to home / hotel) then there's something seriously wrong with your mindset / preparation. People manage to survive in more dangerous places than outside airports every day of their lives and with less weapons than we might have access to.

I'm going to have to guess (since I will be taking a flight in about a month and a half) that I will have to rely on improvised weapons.

IE a roll of dimes (phone calls) my bandanna (I can load it with a couple of quarters) and some stiff ball point pens.

do you guys have any suggestions on improvised weapons?

I don't think the problem is that passentgers will be unarmed as much as that the bad guys are being told the passengers will be unarmed. The situation is pretty much the same as it had been, but the adverse publicity just increased.

Not everyone is going to carry a cane, like I have to. But it makes as good a defensive weapon as you'll find. For close-up defense, you don't have to get complicated, either. Get a AA maglite. A flashlight is useful in its own right, and a strong metal cylinder makes a good striking device. I've got a Streamlite Batonlight myself. You know what the best weapon is: staying alert. if you let someone know you see them slinking up on you, they should have the sense to go slink up on someone more oblivious.

That was just my point, eventually the paranoia will die down, but criminals will probably remember. Just a heads up to a potential threat.

but most of the public have always walked around unarmed. isn't this one of the reasons that the hijackers found it such easy pickings to begin with?

Originally posted by hannibal lecter spyderco
but most of the public have always walked around unarmed. isn't this one of the reasons that the hijackers found it such easy pickings to begin with?

That was my first thought. Now the one tenth of a percent that was armed before will be slightly less armed. Sad, but true, it won't make any difference as far as the criminals are concered. I do think we might be SAFER because of the increased police presence at airports. Why mug someone at an airport when you can do it in a mall parking lot?

The best improvised weapon I have found of late is the 2-lb "jogger's weight." It's a hand weight shaped like a small dumbbell with a D-guard that goes over the knuckles, and is covered in a very non-threatening green non-slip thin neoprene-type cover. It cost me all of $3.47 at the local Target store.

I usually keep one in my car to "exercise my bad wrist". Yeah, that's it.... Gotta be careful, though - if you were to accidently hit somebody with the little dumbbell knobs or the knuckle guard, it might do some serious damage.

And, I just happened to have it in my hand when that mean man attacked me. I had just taken it out of my carry-on luggage begause my wrist was aching from the long flight. Yeah, that's it....

James ;)

Back