Photos Post pics of your Karambit/Hawkbill

This thread is for Karambit/hawkbill aficionados and curious knife nuts who want to get into Karambits. Discussions about Karambits in general are encouraged (let’s keep it respectful), but let’s fill this thread with mostly photos. Let’s see those Foxes, Bokers, Cold Steels, Bastinellis, 5.11s, Emersons, custom, entry, or other high-end Karambits. You just might encourage a newbie to pick one up.

Have fun, lads and lasses.

e6jdNmE.jpg

KJQHJLV.jpg

d3VsFGd.jpg

I have a bit of a thing for the the old metal velociraptor style of knife. Both Karambit finger hole style and the more standard hawkbill. I initially began buying them when I had no money to spare so have several classic cheap and nasty models but with age and employment my finances matured but not my taste so now I also have many of the better name brand models. So long live the Mall Ninja in us all.

ynIxsGol.jpg

owf82F2l.jpg

I have a bit of a thing for the the old metal velociraptor style of knife. Both Karambit finger hole style and the more standard hawkbill. I initially began buying them when I had no money to spare so have several classic cheap and nasty models but with age and employment my finances matured but not my taste so now I also have many of the better name brand models. So long live the Mall Ninja in us all.

ynIxsGol.jpg

owf82F2l.jpg
Been a while since I’ve seen this thread bumped, hehe. Nice collection there. Haven’t been carrying karambits lately.

I carried an Emerson Super Karambit pretty much daily for quite a few years a while back. Not as my primary blade, but rather I carried it in my left pocket, reverse grip. I liked it alot alot and found it to be rather handy. For instance, when cutting something like cordage or twine, you can pull it taut with your right hand, then wave open the karambit out with the left hand and make the cut.

I only stopped carrying it out of concern for my preferred way of carry. I just wasn't completely comfortable carrying the knife with the blade facing forward in my pocket rather than resting against the back of the pocket. The possibility of it opening in my pocket, however unlikely, even in an extreme situation like a fall/car crash/etc., just wasn't worth it me (particularly when you consider how much I value what happens to rest near my left pocket ;) ). I have considered getting the flipper, with the thinking that the detent might mike opening in pocket while carrying this way less likely, or better yet look into a fixed blade version, but honestly now I am just out of the habit of carrying a Karambit regularly.

I did have a bit of a resurgence of carrying my karambit early in lockdown when activities were limited almost exclusively to walking around your neighborhood and I was walking around 5-10 miles per day. There's a great local park located right on the shore of the Sound with 135 acres of natural area that's only 2.5 miles from my pad, so I walked there often. Many of those days my Karambit would once again accompany me.

o4x6h3l.jpg

u0zv50M.jpg

IYPODge.jpg

I like serrated hawkbills for super efficient, emergency cutting of rope, webbing, etc.

But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and love other blade geometries, steel types and edge types.

Not a big fan of big knives tho, it seems.

7TOU09T.jpeg

I like serrated hawkbills for super efficient, emergency cutting of rope, webbing, etc.

But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and love other blade geometries, steel types and edge types.

7TOU09T.jpeg
Your wave mod on the top Spydie is way prettier than my zip-ties ! :p

7TOU09T.jpeg
CanadaKnife Guy: What is that black insert in the Spyderco finger hole? Is it a kind of Emerson Wave opener?

Back