Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

I just came back from a 3 day 2 night circular route with my daugther (8 years old) In the Pirinees all above 2000m. We slept in a tent and carried all of our crap by ourselves. I was basically repeating a route a friend of mine did like a month or so ago (4 adults, 2 kids I believe).

Usually the Pirinees is quite a humid place (in the way that you are crossing streams the whole time and water is abundant) but this year is being pretty darn dry, so the water sources are not so evident or clean. Until now I have always relied solely on purification tablets (Micropur Forte from Katadyn) as the water I gather is clean and debrish free (running water). HOWEVER, this year I was warned I might need to rely on lake/pond water, which is not my regular running water and can contain much more crap (animals using it as a water source).

Sooooooooo.... I bought a filter. I did my reserach and I knew I wanted a pump filter. I was set on the MSR Miniworks EX but I read not so great reviews and the ceramic filter seemed to clog easily and hinder performance. Some instances of the pump breaking also poped up in Google. So I decided to buy the Katadyn Hiker Pro instead (which is also cheaper).

I have to say that algthough bulky, the unit does not weight much, works flawlesly and has provided water for us both no problem. A bit tricky to manage the pick up tube in a clear spot (not rubbing rocks or bottom of ponds so as to not stirr the sediments), the outlet tube inside the bottle or water bladder and the pump at the same time. My daugther did a great job helping, althoug I also did it myself a couple times.

One thing to note is that the filter screws from the top and the screw threads only allow you to screw the filter so much before you reach the end of the threads and distort the plastic body. The oring does not seal properly and once you start pumping you see water and bubbles coming between the filter and body (and you don't get any in the outlet tube). Took me a few seconds to realise the problem. So do not overtigthten!!!!

Will post a few real pictures of us using the filter (captures from GoPro video) as soon as I process it.

Mikel
I have been using a gravity filter from Katadyn. Good flow rate and no pumping required, although it does require hanging (or holding) the bag high enough to allow water to flow down the hose into your water bottle. The hose can develop cracks if you’re not careful and crease or kink the hose.

Recently got a Mad Rock Safeguard for (single rope) rappelling. So far I’m loving it, because of the auto locking feature when you release the handle (much more reliable than the petzl grigri ) and because one can pull even stiff 11mm static ropes through the device to take up slack (or ascend, in a pinch), unlike the Petzl Stop. Not to mention it’s lighter and more compact than the Stop or Grigri. For skinnier ropes I would probably use it with a petzl Freino carabiner in case I wanted added friction.

Went to buy some basic groceries in local mini market and found jetboil mightymo from clearance for about half the price. This morning I got notification of restocked good ol’ Bundeswehr rubber rain ponchos and ordered one because I don’t feel the flimsy modern ones that much. I am pretty darn set now camping-wise!

I just came back from a 3 day 2 night circular route with my daugther (8 years old) In the Pirinees all above 2000m. We slept in a tent and carried all of our crap by ourselves. I was basically repeating a route a friend of mine did like a month or so ago (4 adults, 2 kids I believe).

Usually the Pirinees is quite a humid place (in the way that you are crossing streams the whole time and water is abundant) but this year is being pretty darn dry, so the water sources are not so evident or clean. Until now I have always relied solely on purification tablets (Micropur Forte from Katadyn) as the water I gather is clean and debrish free (running water). HOWEVER, this year I was warned I might need to rely on lake/pond water, which is not my regular running water and can contain much more crap (animals using it as a water source).

Sooooooooo.... I bought a filter. I did my reserach and I knew I wanted a pump filter. I was set on the MSR Miniworks EX but I read not so great reviews and the ceramic filter seemed to clog easily and hinder performance. Some instances of the pump breaking also poped up in Google. So I decided to buy the Katadyn Hiker Pro instead (which is also cheaper).

I have to say that algthough bulky, the unit does not weight much, works flawlesly and has provided water for us both no problem. A bit tricky to manage the pick up tube in a clear spot (not rubbing rocks or bottom of ponds so as to not stirr the sediments), the outlet tube inside the bottle or water bladder and the pump at the same time. My daugther did a great job helping, althoug I also did it myself a couple times.

One thing to note is that the filter screws from the top and the screw threads only allow you to screw the filter so much before you reach the end of the threads and distort the plastic body. The oring does not seal properly and once you start pumping you see water and bubbles coming between the filter and body (and you don't get any in the outlet tube). Took me a few seconds to realise the problem. So do not overtigthten!!!!

Will post a few real pictures of us using the filter (captures from GoPro video) as soon as I process it.

Mikel

I recommend a Katadyn befree water filter...been using it for over two years now and i'm very happy with it.

8018007_Befree0.1L_Trinkflasche_001_1.jpeg.jpg

Just got a Kelly Kettle this week.
This is their Trekker model
First burn made me fall in love with it instantly :D

m5T4NNIpa_reg1KSFQnKrd8Hxn-xTBQj5OQSSiJt4ImTCKYzBXwf1MdZK0T6AFK78aR6XxolFuL81xhp9bC7H4-jwSesmsKaBjwZMZH7r15k1wnQIIuy6KqYIJHyjIt7vgJDZb2BAts=w900

Got a new pair of trailrunners. Inov8 Trailfly 270 G, 270grams per shoe with graphene soles. Apparently graphene soles are twice as durable as conventional ones...either way, they're the most comfortable shoes i've ever owned. Good bye Dynafit!

Screenshot_20220903-143033_Gallery.jpg

Also got a Petzl fly climbing harness for backcountry skiing. It's very comfortable for its weight and doesn't pinch my bawls.

images.jpeg-6.jpg

Also got a Petzl fly climbing harness for backcountry skiing. It's very comfortable for its weight and doesn't pinch my bawls.

View attachment 1957096
I have been using the Petzl altitude for a while already for alpine routes where you don't plan on hanging on your harness a lot and there is no need to carry a truckload of gear. Works fine for what it is.

Looks like the Fly is EVEN ligther although it does not have a belay loop. Let us know how it goes!

Mikel

Picked up a pair of under armor Valstez I think they are called.

So basically that tan combat boot style but leans towards sneakers in feel. Softer sole, grip on smoth surfaces that sort of thing.

I have been hunting for something to fill that niche for me because I run in them. And so far these have been the best version of that I have tried.

View attachment 1957096
I have been using the Petzl altitude for a while already for alpine routes where you don't plan on hanging on your harness a lot and there is no need to carry a truckload of gear. Works fine for what it is.

Looks like the Fly is EVEN ligther although it does not have a belay loop. Let us know how it goes!

Mikel

Picked up a pair of under armor Valstez I think they are called.

So basically that tan combat boot style but leans towards sneakers in feel. Softer sole, grip on smoth surfaces that sort of thing.

I have been hunting for something to fill that niche for me because I run in them. And so far these have been the best version of that I have tried.
Why run in non-dedicated running shoes? Usually running shoes are best suited for that purpose. Better shock absortion, better grip, more flexibility, etc...

Mikel

Why run in non-dedicated running shoes? Usually running shoes are best suited for that purpose. Better shock absortion, better grip, more flexibility, etc...

Mikel
I do Airsoft and want to look all soldery but it is also basically a series of short sprints through the bush

And we have this thing called bush itch or chiggers that apparently blousing boots prevents.

Back