Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

i bought 2 of these coleman dual fuel 533 from kohl's a few days ago...
Why did you choose this style of multifuel stove instead of a separated reservoir one (MSR Whisperlite/XGK, Optimus Multifuel/Varifuel/Omnifuel)? These ones seem taller (less stable) and heavier. Maybe for car camping or semi-stationary use (log cabin) they are more adecuate as they seem more rugged and easy to use.

Just curious!

Mikel

Reactions: JV3
I'm liking my new headlamp. The casing on the last Petzel (300 lumens max) I owned cracked so I wanted a tougher build this time around.

I went with the Black Diamond "Storm 400". It does appear to be super tough and it is very bright when cranked to its max of 400 lumens. The 4th battery does make it a bit heavier than all the other 3-battery lamps I've owned. I don't mind it but it does bounce around a bit more due to this (only an issue when running or jumping etc.).

It has the red light option to keep your night-vision intact and it also has green and blue options. Fully waterproof can't hurt either.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/storm-400-headlamp/

KHpeZeS.jpg

I'm liking my new headlamp. The casing on the last Petzel (300 lumens max) I owned cracked so I wanted a tougher build this time around.

I went with the Black Diamond "Storm 400". It does appear to be super tough and it is very bright when cranked to its max of 400 lumens. The 4th battery does make it a bit heavier than all the other 3-battery lamps I've owned. I don't mind it but it does bounce around a bit more due to this (only an issue when running or jumping etc.).

It has the red light option to keep your night-vision intact and it also has green and blue options. Fully waterproof can't hurt either.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/storm-400-headlamp/
Looks good! I have been recently using the Petzl Swift RL... have a look at it next time you need a headlamp.

Mikel

Recently got a Wisdom 4 headlamp for caving after it was reviewed very favorably in the June 2021 issue of the National Speleological Society News. A bit heavy at 6 oz but described as brighter, longer run time and more waterproof than other caving/ mining headlamps. Shown here with diffuser lens and on a petzl scirocco helmet20210619_164114.jpg

Last edited:
My GF just got me a MSR WINDBURNER stove kit with the small (1l) pot. Been eyeing these systems for a while and seems like the performance on this Windburner is better than in the Jetboil counterparts thanks to the radiant heater. Cannot wait to try it out during an outing!

My GF just got me a MSR WINDBURNER stove kit with the small (1l) pot. Been eyeing these systems for a while and seems like the performance on this Windburner is better than in the Jetboil counterparts thanks to the radiant heater. Cannot wait to try it out during an outing!
I have the Windburner and like it a lot, especially for camping in the winter. In the summer I have been using the lighter but less efficient Soto Windmaster.

I have the Windburner and like it a lot, especially for camping in the winter. In the summer I have been using the lighter but less efficient Soto Windmaster.
Stoves, just like knives, flashlights and really any other gadget... are a rabbit hole. Sooooooo many out there. I have an assortment of stoves and anytime I go out I need to asses carefully what to take. Actually, this Windburner is something I was curious about but truly didn't need. For snow melting duties... I go with a liquid fuel Primus Omnifuel and big pot (I don't want to be melting snow to fill water bottles for hours on end). If I don't need to melt anything, chances are I can get by with a smaller ligther setup and I use a 20gr titanium Chineese stove. Does not get any ligther than that. I also have an ancient MSR Pocket Rocket that keeps on rocking and I believe a home made hanging stove made out of Markill detached canister model... Car camping is also covered, as I drive a camper van.

So I will have to pretty much force the situation to carry and use this MSR Windburner.

I just had a look at the Soto you are talking about and the piezo igniter looks like a great feature. I always carry a few ligthers (one in the stove carry bag or pot or whatever, others scattered in the packs and clothing pockets) but this might be the ticket.

Mikel

Stoves, just like knives, flashlights and really any other gadget... are a rabbit hole. Sooooooo many out there. I have an assortment of stoves and anytime I go out I need to asses carefully what to take. Actually, this Windburner is something I was curious about but truly didn't need. For snow melting duties... I go with a liquid fuel Primus Omnifuel and big pot (I don't want to be melting snow to fill water bottles for hours on end). If I don't need to melt anything, chances are I can get by with a smaller ligther setup and I use a 20gr titanium Chineese stove. Does not get any ligther than that. I also have an ancient MSR Pocket Rocket that keeps on rocking and I believe a home made hanging stove made out of Markill detached canister model... Car camping is also covered, as I drive a camper van.

So I will have to pretty much force the situation to carry and use this MSR Windburner.

I just had a look at the Soto you are talking about and the piezo igniter looks like a great feature. I always carry a few ligthers (one in the stove carry bag or pot or whatever, others scattered in the packs and clothing pockets) but this might be the ticket.

Mikel
The piezo works great for now but I expect eventually it might wear out so I try not to overuse it. I open the gas valve and let the gas run a bit before igniting it to make sure there's enough gas build-up to light the first time, every time

kifaru supertarp with annex (the smaller shelter next to the sawtooth)...i sold my first one years ago when i switched to hammock but i regretted it since then. the pitch isn't tight by the way since it was just a day hike to show their relative sizes to my buddy.

AdJdCxJ.jpg

kifaru 8-man tipi and large stove...before, i thought the sawtooth was a palace...the 8-man makes it look like a 5'x7' tarp in comparison :D

mluDn7t.jpg

the large stove is long enough i don't need to shorten store-bought firewood when i'm backyard camping.

ks4RFod.jpg

by the way, i just use a couple of straps to roll the pipe by myself for the first burn-in and it rolls perfectly without any creases...i just tighten it 1-inch per strap and move to the next one until i reach the end and repeat. it's a slow process but no need to have like 5 people to help.

CWFsMkz.jpg

fiRme4P.jpg

3NimtOr.jpg

Why did you choose this style of multifuel stove instead of a separated reservoir one (MSR Whisperlite/XGK, Optimus Multifuel/Varifuel/Omnifuel)? These ones seem taller (less stable) and heavier. Maybe for car camping or semi-stationary use (log cabin) they are more adecuate as they seem more rugged and easy to use.

Just curious!

Mikel

sorry, i didn't see your post until now...i have a couple of msr whisperlite universal and that'd be the stove i'd pick if i can only have one, regardless of type.

1. the 553 is taller but it's a much wider and heavier base so i use it often with cast iron skillet. it also has a pretty wide burner and simmers very well, like a real kitchen stove, so it's better suited to real-world cooking. it's strictly for home use as part of my preparedness kit and i just like to play with fire so it's another toy really.

i have a sled for winter camping but at that point weight is really no concern so i'm more likely to have a chainsaw with me so there's even less point in bringing a stove like this for convenience. if i want a quick cup of coffee or whatnot, i have zelph stove's fancee feast for that.

2. nothing to assemble or lose parts compared to the separate fuel bottle design. i have friends who can't even learn taut-line hitch so forget about depending on them to remember how to assemble, prime and light a whisperlite when power/gas line goes out :eek:

this stove is the easiest to light as well. after pressurizing i just open the valve and light it and off it goes...none of that waiting for a teaspoon of fuel to pool up, close the valve, and light steps...for us those are no-brainer steps but i guarantee one of my friends will screw that up and dump a boatload of fuel and cause a fireball.

Last edited:
msr xgk-ex...that is one angry stove...i almost reached out for my ear pros :D interesting observation - no soot at all anywhere unlike my whisperlite universal which accumulates soot underneath the burner bell after a few minutes...hmm.

v5QE5Wj.jpg

Long time lurker in this thread...actually one of my fav threads since i'm what they call a gear wh@re :)

one of my latest buys is a Hyperlite Mountain Gear Prism pack.

My 3rd HMG pack and i love everything about it. Lightweight woven Dyneema is pretty tough.

Screenshot_20220315-193753_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Long time lurker in this thread...actually one of my fav threads since i'm what they call a gear wh@re :)

one of my latest buys is a Hyperlite Mountain Gear Prism pack.

My 3rd HMG pack and i love everything about it. Lightweight woven Dyneema is pretty tough.

Holly crap! there is a fair amount of money in that picture!o_Oo_Oo_O

I hade a look at the pack you just bought and looks good... The only thing that I don't like is the price tag... but well, if you want light, strong and full of features.. seems the way to go.

Now, tell me more about those skimo boots of yours... are those Scott Cosmos 3? How do you like that boot?

Right now I am using the Atomic Backland Carbon (2018 model I guess) and I like them for one day outings where skiing is just a way to approach and come back from a climb easier and faster than on foot or snowshoes... but the lack in the skiing department as even when fully thigthened, my foot woobles inside the boot. Also putting on and off the tonges for skiing downhill makes transitions a mess... and they leak water like crazy, booties end up drenched unless I use gaitiers, which make the transitions even worse. But they walk and ice climb AWESOME...

I was considering buying the Cosmos 3 as a secondary boot when the main activity is SKIMO... and the downhill part is worth hauling the extra weight of a freeride boot...

So... tell me more!!!!!! Have you use them yet? I see some plastic wrapping on the booties!

Mikel

Holly crap! there is a fair amount of money in that picture!o_Oo_Oo_O

I hade a look at the pack you just bought and looks good... The only thing that I don't like is the price tag... but well, if you want light, strong and full of features.. seems the way to go.

Now, tell me more about those skimo boots of yours... are those Scott Cosmos 3? How do you like that boot?

Right now I am using the Atomic Backland Carbon (2018 model I guess) and I like them for one day outings where skiing is just a way to approach and come back from a climb easier and faster than on foot or snowshoes... but the lack in the skiing department as even when fully thigthened, my foot woobles inside the boot. Also putting on and off the tonges for skiing downhill makes transitions a mess... and they leak water like crazy, booties end up drenched unless I use gaitiers, which make the transitions even worse. But they walk and ice climb AWESOME...

I was considering buying the Cosmos 3 as a secondary boot when the main activity is SKIMO... and the downhill part is worth hauling the extra weight of a freeride boot...

So... tell me more!!!!!! Have you use them yet? I see some plastic wrapping on the booties!

Mikel

Hey Mikel :)

yep, the whole pack is probably worth over 3k, i guess..i don't even wanna know 🤣

Inside is a Valandre sleeping bag, Petzl RAD line, HMG flat tarp, full Arc'teryx kit, MSR cooking kit, climbing and safety gear etc.

Cost me a lot (i pay swiss prices) but i rather spend a bit more for high quality gear that lasts and weighs a bit less.

Yes,it's a Cosmos 3 and this is my second season in them and they fit my wide feet. It might not be the lightest boot on the market but it skis so well...i'm more focused on skiing than skinning performance. Usually i'm very into ultralightweight gear but when skitouring, i'm more focused on downhill performance and safety, since 90% of my tours are solo missions (i know,stupid).

Right now i ride them on a Black Crows Navis Freebird ski and Armada Shift binding . Both far from ultralight..but ski performance is so,so fine.

The Navis might be my favorite ski ever and the Shift skis just like an alpine binding..plus it has a front release :) so nice

Screenshot_20220316-143758_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-145628_Gallery.jpg

back to the Cosmos :)

So far i had no issues with water leaking in but have not done many river crossings yet..i also wear VBL socks when i go on a multi-day tour, so they don't get wet from inside.

Maybe you should try a boot fitting?!

Or better, get a new boot :)

I really wanted the Dynafit Hoji Pro but it was just too tight around my ankles...

Last edited:
Got a new,improved pair of Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z trekking poles...destroyed my old ones on sunday, after four years of intensive use
Screenshot_20220816-194709_Gallery.jpg

I just came back from a 3 day 2 night circular route with my daugther (8 years old) In the Pirinees all above 2000m. We slept in a tent and carried all of our crap by ourselves. I was basically repeating a route a friend of mine did like a month or so ago (4 adults, 2 kids I believe).

Usually the Pirinees is quite a humid place (in the way that you are crossing streams the whole time and water is abundant) but this year is being pretty darn dry, so the water sources are not so evident or clean. Until now I have always relied solely on purification tablets (Micropur Forte from Katadyn) as the water I gather is clean and debrish free (running water). HOWEVER, this year I was warned I might need to rely on lake/pond water, which is not my regular running water and can contain much more crap (animals using it as a water source).

Sooooooooo.... I bought a filter. I did my reserach and I knew I wanted a pump filter. I was set on the MSR Miniworks EX but I read not so great reviews and the ceramic filter seemed to clog easily and hinder performance. Some instances of the pump breaking also poped up in Google. So I decided to buy the Katadyn Hiker Pro instead (which is also cheaper).

I have to say that algthough bulky, the unit does not weight much, works flawlesly and has provided water for us both no problem. A bit tricky to manage the pick up tube in a clear spot (not rubbing rocks or bottom of ponds so as to not stirr the sediments), the outlet tube inside the bottle or water bladder and the pump at the same time. My daugther did a great job helping, althoug I also did it myself a couple times.

One thing to note is that the filter screws from the top and the screw threads only allow you to screw the filter so much before you reach the end of the threads and distort the plastic body. The oring does not seal properly and once you start pumping you see water and bubbles coming between the filter and body (and you don't get any in the outlet tube). Took me a few seconds to realise the problem. So do not overtigthten!!!!

Will post a few real pictures of us using the filter (captures from GoPro video) as soon as I process it.

Mikel

Back