Post your 165's!

Doubts? I didn't doubt you at all. Now to find the other 200 made before that one. Surely at least one is as nice as that one and is still in the original box. Um... speaking of which... you wouldn't happen to have... :confused:

;):thumbup:

Tongueriver, THAT is an early one!:thumbup::D

Here's my Shikari, 2267 s/n on this one. Michael, it's amazing that you've found two of these guys, they definitely don't show up very often:

29lo54w.jpg
[/IMG]

2m3qwaq.jpg
[/IMG]

15oz8fo.jpg
[/IMG]

9gvy8o.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Last edited:
Excellent Eric! Thanks! I don't suppose that beaut has a box and papers?

So far the serial number range on the Shikaris that I have recorded is from #00365 to #02984. Of course, we have no way to really know at this point how many were produced for Norm Thompson. And until someone takes the initiative and finds out when they were first advertised and last offered, we won't know the length of production. Of course that means buying the magazine issues the way I did the Sears catalogs. So far we have only positively confirmed November of 1966 thru February of 1967 in Outdoor Life magazine. How much earlier and how much later we don't know.

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember an EARLY Schrade Walden 165 Old Timer showing up on the Bay about a few months back? I told Codger I had seen it, but I looked through my archives and must have deleted it. Any info on it would be great. I know I saw it, unless I was dreaming... happens a lot! It was in the 003xx SN range to the best of my recollection.

Thanks,
Greg

I have one Shikari # 01714, two 165UH # 00681 # 02951 and one 165OT #11042 and a broken camera at the moment.

I have one Shikari # 01714, two 165UH # 00681 # 02951 and one 165OT #11042 and a broken camera at the moment.

I hereby declare and bestow upon you the honored position of Secretary/Treasurer of the CODGER HAS NO CAMERA CLUB! :p
This is why quite often you'll see me post eBay pictures of my knives or scans.

Thanks for the numbers!:)

Abused Shikari #365 and one by Dale...

As I have finally taken to heart the lesson of "Cutlery Sensei" Levine, condition indicates only condition. Your knife is still significant in that it furthers the quest for information regarding this earliest SFO of the 165 pattern. And beyond that, it still retains it's original intended function, that of an excellent hunting/field knife even though it's original factory finish is no longer there.

Oh, and I really admire that rehandle job done by Dale! This is an excellent example of giving an old knife a new lease on life, even if it is as a customized "art knife". IMHO, these are an excellent way to pay homage to a classic knife design! :thumbup:

25f0c2p.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Bridgeman!!

Michael, no box for mine, unfortunately!

Here's another Shikari, for s/n purposes as it's quite the relic. Not mine, spotted "elsewhere":

wuf1hy.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Eric. I've been talking to that seller about his knife. I believe he has officially "retired" his two "experts" (WWI or WWII???:eek:). That is, by the way, the highest serial recorded so far on a Shikari, #2984. That still places it as a 1967 production piece.

The sheath though might be worth reclaiming and replacing the cut off retaining strap. We see more of these knives than we do sheaths for them.

Nice Bridgeman!!

Thanks Eric.

Michael, you are definitely right. The pics aren't so hot, and the knife looks like it's been tipped, killed, and resurrected as a, well actually, I'm not certain what that is called, but the blade shape resembles my old ANZA 709. But, I must agree, the sheath looks to be in good condition overall, with the exception of the retaining strap... a common theme!

Greg

Now we have an even higher serial 1st production 165UH, #17031.

28utilg.jpg

This has to be getting near the end of this production run's serializing since it is tang stamped right as is my #13134? WHile production and advertising ended in 1970, several hundred a year continued to be shipped through 1973.

It was sold during the flurry of bankruptcy liquidation sales by a dusty duck on eBay as a "prototype". I'm not really sure what it is. The rivets look large to me, and we know the handle isn't "pearl", So is it a sample of "pearl Delrin"? Like the 165 blue, it sold for more than it was worth to me.

I had an experience with and suspicions about that seller long before that "cache of factory leftovers" went on sale and would never have bought from him. So, I just watched as the fantastic, amazing, one of a kind prototype stories behind the blades were no doubt part of what pushed the blades to such inflated prices!

I wish I had copied and pasted the auctions into a word doc. for posterity. Too soon old too late smart.

You aren't too late to save some of the Irv Tractenberg auctions like the 897UH Old Timer Jack Knife. :D

Back