Post your coolest microscope images

I'm sure I can dig up some more. Here are a pair I took recently. These are of a Feather AC Pro disposable straight razor blade. 1,000x optical. First in DIC then darkfield. Amazingly straight edge at 1,000x. The DIC really brings out features that are almost invisible in regular brightfield or darkfield. It is an amazing thing to have. Looking at the uoper image the edge can be seen to be very slightly convexed toward the apex. The width of that convexity is probably best measured in single digit microns. Sure wish I knew how they did the sharpening on those.

F6H3vMw.jpg

lEiEo4d.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure I can dig up some more. Here are a pair I took recently. These are of a Feather AC Pro disposable straight razor blade. 1,000x optical. First in DIC then darkfield. Amazingly straight edge at 1,000x. The DIC really brings out features that are almost invisible in regular brightfield or darkfield. It is an amazing thing to have. Looking at the uoper image the edge can be seen to be very slightly convexed toward the apex. The width of that convexity is probably best measured in single digit microns. Sure wish I knew how they did the sharpening on those.

F6H3vMw.jpg

lEiEo4d.jpg
Here's a another brand of safety razor "TREET"

h30Be8w.jpeg

There appears to be a coating at the edge that has birefringence under polarized light.

TU4Yf1u.jpeg

Here's a another brand of safety razor "TREET"

h30Be8w.jpeg

There appears to be a coating at the edge that has birefringence under polarized light.

TU4Yf1u.jpeg

Yes, probably so. The Feather blades are coated also; I clean them with IPA and a KimWipe before trying to get an image. They won't cut a hair with the HHT until they're cleaned, the coating prevents it. Of course, it's pretty difficult to get them clean enough so that they actually look *clean* at 1,000x, heh.

Yes, probably so. The Feather blades are coated also; I clean them with IPA and a KimWipe before trying to get an image. They won't cut a hair with the HHT until they're cleaned, the coating prevents it. Of course, it's pretty difficult to get them clean enough so that they actually look *clean* at 1,000x, heh.
Bump, any more Normaski DIC images?

Quite a treat.

Bump, any more Normaski DIC images?

Quite a treat.

I have a project blade that might be pretty neat I'm working on, give me a few days. If I forget, bump again.

In the meantime, here is a good demonstration of why DIC > brightfield. These are of a honed but unstropped straight razor edge. DIC shows what would appear to be a bit of wire edge that's nearly invisible in brightfield.

Brightfield:

ccD2Emg.jpg

DIC:

eiNqC1X.jpg

Last edited:
Back