"Poster Child" Mnandi?

JW225

Gold Member
Just had to share this coincidence, which I think is kind of neat. In January, I purchased a new Gen 3 Box Elder Burl Mnandi, with Boomerang Damascus blade. Subsequently, I was poking around the CRK website and did a double take when I took a good look at the Box Elder Burl Mnandi photos posted there. The inlays are an exact match to my Mnandi -- not kinda/sorta, but exact. The website Mnandi, of course, shows a plain blade, which makes me wonder whether a Damascus blade might have been installed after the photo shoot (or whether the plain blade might have been Photoshopped in to begin with). Just makes me wonder whether mine was the "model" for the website photos. :)

Here's what I'm talkin' about:

nQN9BbM.jpg

5Et7kRp.jpg

F8wy0lF.jpg

2ke9zEx.jpg

Last edited:
Just had to share this coincidence, which I think is kind of neat. In January, I purchased a new Gen 3 Box Elder Burl Mnandi, with Boomerang Damascus blade. Subsequently, I was poking around the CRK website and did a double take when I took a good look at the Box Elder Burl Mnandi photos posted there. The inlays are an exact match to my Mnandi -- not kinda/sorta, but exact. The website Mnandi, of course, shows a plain blade, which makes me wonder whether a Damascus blade might have been installed after the photo shoot (or whether it might have been Photoshopped in to begin with). Just makes me wonder whether mine was the "model" for the website photos. :)

Here's what I'm talkin' about:

nQN9BbM.jpg

5Et7kRp.jpg

F8wy0lF.jpg

2ke9zEx.jpg

That is crazy man..

And I wonder too what happened to the blade, maybe just photoshopped for the website?

I notice the model doesn't have the screw hole on either side, though the clip would hide it on that side, I suspect they have a model and they temporarily slap the inlays into the model to phot and then those inlays go into a production piece.

I notice the model doesn't have the screw hole on either side, though the clip would hide it on that side, I suspect they have a model and they temporarily slap the inlays into the model to phot and then those inlays go into a production piece.

I hadn't noticed that before -- but you're absolutely right about the absence of the holes. As far as an explanation, you could be right. Another possibility is that the holes themselves have been Photoshopped out for a cleaner look.

Wow. Very cool. Your pictures are better.

Alternate theory: the burl layers on your knife could be adjacent to the burl layers trimmed off and used for the photo knife. So they could be twins rather than the same handles.

I actually don’t believe my theory, was just trying to think of a less complicated reason the grain looking exactly the same. Reminds me of my dad’s dresser with its mirror image Venere on the drawers. Grain looks identical on each side of center.

Congrats on the cool find. You should contact CRK. They will tell you for sure.

Wow. Very cool. Your pictures are better.

Alternate theory: the burl layers on your knife could be adjacent to the burl layers trimmed off and used for the photo knife. So they could be twins rather than the same handles.

I actually don’t believe my theory, was just trying to think of a less complicated reason the grain looking exactly the same. Reminds me of my dad’s dresser with its mirror image Venere on the drawers. Grain looks identical on each side of center.

Congrats on the cool find. You should contact CRK. They will tell you for sure.

Thanks. I considered that theory, as well -- but, for various reasons, think it highly unlikely.

I did hear back from CRK, but the person responding to my question wasn't able to confirm that my knife had been the "model" for the website photos. She did, say, however, that the marketing team Photoshops inlays at times.

One way or the other, I think it is all kinda cool.

Very cool knife even if the marketing people photoshopped your inlays onto another frame.

Yep, that's it all right! How cool! I have the Honduran Rosewood 21 that BladeHQ used in their 'Meet Your Maker' video tour of CRK, I enjoy that sort of thing.

Back