Practical Knife Recommendation

OK Guys! For those of you who have been downrange I need your help. I am putting my gear together and now I'm down to choosing knives. I have currently have the Small CRKT M16-13 SF (Kinda small for my hands but I like the tanto blade), Spydeco ATR Stainless ( A good solid VG-10 blade but is not much of a fighting knife), and my most recent purchase a CS Pro Lite Tanto (Nice size blade good edge and tanto ta boot). I 'm trying to decide if I need to have a fixed blade as well, or simply a better tactical. Heres the scenario, Convoy gets ambushed and I'm only one left and having to revert to SEAR mode. What knife do I need to survive? Funny question I know but you can't be too prepared.

Ontario RAT 7, Fallkniven A1, Camillus QCB and Benchmade Nimravus, are som suggestions.

A fixed blade is best for survival and fighting in my opinion.

Good luck!

Are you Army? If so, and you are deploying; BM Nimravus Model 140SBK- NSN 1095-01-466-8569, NOW NAME: Knife,Combat, (Fixed). Have supply sgt order one for you!!!!!

knifeart_1889_264481895

If you want a heavier folder, you might consider the Benchmade Ruckus or the Spyderco Manix. Both are very serious, sturdy folders.

If you want a fixed, ask around and see what others carry. I won't pretend to have any first hand knowledge.

Alternatives IMHO: Becker C/U7 or C/U10 comes to mind as well as a Shiv from Ranger Knives. Ranger knives is owned Justin Gingrich; an ex-Ranger who has done private contracting work back in Iraq. They have a very popular forum on another knife forum site. With Ranger Knives, you get an INCREDIBLE amount of performance at a VERY affordable price.

If I was raiding my own stash, it would be my Busse Hell Razor. :D
HR1.jpg

edamhcneb,

Thanks! I'll look into it! Being that I'm not combat arms these days (Was Armored Cav for 11 years) I seriously doubt they will order them. Thanks Again anyway.

dlocklear_2000 said:
Wow, nice Buss, Wanna trade? I'll trade ya my Spydeco ATR for that? LOL

:D Maybe later.

In all seriousness, take care of yourself. We appreciate your dedication and sacrifice.

BTW - It was the RAK I was thinking of... not the Shiv from Ranger Knives. I believe you can get the RAK with micarta grips instead of cord wrap.

Paddling_man,

I was looking at the Ranger Knives and was wondering about the steel. How bad will they rust, edge retention, toughness and all. I can get a Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife on slae for close to the same as the Rangers are retail. However I just noticed the Rangers are on sale at Brigade Quartermaster for $69 (Black Model). Anyone have experience with these knives? Are they really good? I know if I get the Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife it will likely last a lifetime under normal handling conditions.

Halfneck,

I love my Spydie ATR! I paid alot for it by my standards but its my old faithful of nices. Its sharp as "Hell" ! I've even used it to cut notches in my pickup bed liner when I was installing a bed cover without signigicantly dulling the blade. I few strokes on my ceramic stone and she was back in shape. Great Knife! Would recommend it to anyone. Only thing is is will be mighty slippery if my hands ever get wet. I need an all purpose knife to use if things go downhill fast.

Well, I have never neen in a SERE situation but a RAK or RD6 would be an excellent choice. Justin coats the 5160 blades so rust is not an issue. The RD is more solid than the RAK. Most of the mentioned knives would meet or exceed your needs. The Fallkniven A1 is really tough (I don't have one but do have a S1, a H1, and a couple F1's) Also the Randall TAK is really solid.

dlocklear_2000 said:
Anyone ever used an ONTARIO® TAK™ SURVIVAL KNIFE, PLAIN EDGE
Got one here, I'm liking it. A very good blade for the $$.

Back