"Practicing to be homeless..."

they say "not all who wander are lost" and not all who sleep under the stars are homeless.

We've been car camping for years and know how to set the site up, tent and all in about a half hour. Both my wife and I did backpacking when younger and while we wouldn't enjoy a steady diet of it we could make do if we had to. After nearly 24 years I'd rather be with the lady in a tent than not at all.

I love it outdoors. Except where I live. Arizona has alot of nice places to be outside, but phoenix is not one of them. I spend alot of time in Flagstaff, so I get some outdoor time. When I am at home though, I have no choice but to be lazy.

i always learned alot when I on purpose :

1. Hiked further than knew I should have or was prepaired for

2. Hiked and camped in very bad weather from -51 in the winter ( awesome story) to brutal rainstorms when everything was so wet it took pure desperation to light a fire.

3.Hiked in terrain not familliar to me and had to build different types of shelters and use different tinders to light fires

4. Purposely got lost and used a compass and topographical map to find my way out ( this really sucks in wintertime because it is way harder to determine inclinations and declinations that you can recognize).

5. slept in bush shelters to learn what worked and what didnt.

6. went out without food and provided for myself through fishing or hunting.

so to name a few thats what I go out and do to learn and push myself more.

i always learned alot when I on purpose :

1. Hiked further than knew I should have or was prepaired for...

Check.

2. Hiked and camped in very bad weather from -51 in the winter ( awesome story) to brutal rainstorms when everything was so wet it took pure desperation to light a fire.

Check. Below freezing, windstorm, thunderstorm, heavy rains, snow but not a blizzard - Check and Double-Check.

3.Hiked in terrain not familliar to me and had to build different types of shelters and use different tinders to light fires...

Check and Check.

4. Purposely got lost and used a compass and topographical map to find my way out ( this really sucks in wintertime because it is way harder to determine inclinations and declinations that you can recognize).

Check but never did it in the snow -Uncheck. :D

5. slept in bush shelters to learn what worked and what didnt.

Lean-To shelters, fallen tree shelters, building shanties out of junk from the neighborhood and my favorite of all time, down in a field of stickers and nastiness, a natural dome shaped hollow shelter of vines and other plants. - Check.

6. went out without food and provided for myself through fishing or hunting.

Check - Rabbits, Squirrels, lots of fish and two rattlesnakes to that credit.

it's a learning experience every time I go, I can have my whole camp packed up and ready to go in 30 minutes.....why should somebody stop learning????

Steve Earle got that backwards, you don't need that much yeast but more than that in sugar. :D

My Momma's Daddy was a moonshiner back during The Depression and for quite a few years after.

I love camping, and do it from my truck, motorcycle, back, and even in the front yard with my 2 little ones like we did last night.

To me, those that are cold, uncomfortable, or not having fun are doing it wrong. My father inlaw was in the Army and can't understand why I choose to sleep on the ground when it's an option. I just like camping, and now that I have kids, it's a great way to get out of the house and have some fun on the cheap.

I left out Saturday morning with a couple buddies and rode 450 miles before setting up camp for the night. Got up Sunday morning, came home and set up the family tent so me and the girls could camp.

995709062_C8abn-M.jpg

Somehow I think that ppl that don't get away a bit like this are missing out on things. Not camping because that's not for everyone, but somehow they just get too focused on certain things that they start missing the fun things in life

"In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you..."

I don't need nothing but the mountains and a good rifle and ammunition and a pack full of stuff.

The way work is going, might be practicing to be homeless in the next couple months, you just never know anymore.

You can get used to anything, if you're willing to - but some people just cannot adapt to change or allow nature to have any part of their lives outside of an occasional TV show or Ansel Adams print. They will not make it long in the woods.

Nature is a wonderful instructor, but death is the ultimate teacher.

++ I think I'm gonna use this first sentence in my signature!!!

I find that the ability to thrive (not just survive) with minimal gear is a very fulfulling experience. I do it for the same reason I make my own gear, not just buy it at the store, maintain my car, my house, make crafts, and the like. I like being self sufficient, in all aspects of my life. The fact that I can head out into the woods with a rifle, pack, and a good knife and not just get by, but blossom in Nature, makes me smile, big and wide. Moose

I love backpacking. I do wonder how much would be too much but it's a wonderful and needed change for me after days of crowds, traffic and the computer screen.

One must always be keenly aware that there is a very large difference between choice, free will, and being thrust into a situation due to some emergency. Desperation has many faces. :)

One must always be keenly aware that there is a very large difference between choice, free will, and being thrust into a situation due to some emergency. Desperation has many faces. :)

Too true. Moose

Back