Praise for a maker, and my new barlow

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Many of you have heard me speak highly of Gary Crowder, I think he is the best under-rated maker of custom slipjoints going. I thought I'd share this new piece he built for me.

I gave him the challenge of making me a heavy duty classic Barlow with equal length wharncliffe and spear blades. The blades were to be made from 1/8" stock, and the knife was to be between 3.75 & 4" closed with black linen scales.

First, I recieved the knife 5 weeks from the time I said "do it". Second, the man followed my request to the letter. (I have a pet peeve about ordering a knife to specific specs and having it arrive with a "modified" design)

The Barlow has always been my favorite pattern and I wanted one that would be beefy but still make a good slicer. This knife fills the bill!

Note how nicely the two blades sit with perfect access to the nail nicks. I also had doubts about a wharny blade laying in a round butt design like this but Gary pulled it off and fit as much blade in the handle as he possibly could.

Hope you enjoy the pics! (I know I'll enjoy the knife ;))

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love that Barlow pattern.

You did real good.
Congratz on that one.

That is really, really nice. Looks like excellent workmanship. I especially like the 2 chosen blade shapes, they are really ideal for most uses. The file work is very nice as well.

It is interesting that you chose 1/8" blades, as I really prefer thinner baldes on my slip joints.

That really is just a super design. The micarta looks nice in that application.

Two questions if you don't mind:
What is the blade material and what is the usual price for a knife like this?

Thanks!

I chose 1/8" because I specifically wanted a beefy hevier duty slip in my rotation (I have tons with thin blades) but one that was small enough for daily pocket carry. Gary does a high flat grind so as of yet I have not seen a considerable performace drop and I've already done quite a bit of cutting with it. This thing locks up as tight as a slipjoint can and has a hefty reassuring feel.

Make sure you're sitting down when you here the price, $275 delivered. Blade material is ATS-34.

Reggie is right, those are milled integral washers.

On a side note, I noticed one of the pictures makes the scale/bolster transition look off, it's just a glare. Fit up on this knife is very tight. Also, the exposed pivot pin is optional. The first Crowder I got a while back had it and I've just grown to like it on his knives. He will also do them flush it was just my request, I know some don't like them.

Gary's working on a jumbo folding hunter for me as we speak, should be a beauty as well.

Chad,

I loved your first report on Gary, and now this knife confirms your praise. He is going to do well. Good call all around.

Coop

Back