Pre-cut tarp guylines - good lengths?

I'm looking to carry some pre-cut lengths of cordage (Kelty Triptease Lightline) to guy out my 8x10 tarp (1 center loop and 16 around edges at 2' intervals), how many and what lengths of cord would be most versatile and work for a few common set-ups (lean-to, A-frame, half-pyramid, flying V, etc)?

I've been thinking I'd cut at least: two 6' lengths for raised a-frame centers, and four 2-3' lengths for the corners. Or maybe six 6' lengths?

I don't have much experience in tarp camping, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

My lines are 3m each IIRC, that's 9-10ft in the old scale. I almost always have more than I need so I double it back and use a tautline hitch to keep the tension up.

I just did that to a tarp a while ago. 6 grommets on the tarp and 50 ft. of para. equals about 8 or so feet on each ( I just split the cord equally into 6)

You don't know the lashing points before hand but I figured at least 2 ends on trees and the rest pegged out. Works for me , and is great for a quick tarp set up instead of messing with line on site. You could go ridge pole also and just peg the sides :thumbup:

Ok, sounds like I've been underestimating. I do usually use the tautline/adjustable grip hitch, so it would be prudent to have excess rather than not enough.

I bought 2 packs of 50' lengths. I guess I'll just split one pack into 6 equal lengths like you, Hiwa. I'll try a few outings with it. I can alway modify or cut longer lengths from the second pack later.:thumbup:

Thanks guys!

My ridgeline is a 27 ft 2 strand twist of 550 with a whipped eye. I then carry 6 8ft lines for tent stakes etc. This covers a ton of set ups. My tarp is a 10x10.

Ridgeline
Leather026.jpg

I also carry some other lengths in a seperate kit for cordage. I love pre cutting lengths of cordage rather then cutting off lengths here and there. Orginized and less wastefull.

Nice, Jake. The knots hold well with the twisted line?

I have 50ft of paracord I can use for a ridgeline. Sounds like I should be pretty well set between that and 6 x 8.3' lengths of triptease.

Oh yeah, that will set ya up good bro.

Yeah. Ive only played with the twisted one a couple times. I ran the running end around the tree and through the eye. Finish the other end with a taughtline hitch. I tension the tarp with a twig through the loops on the tarp under the line. Then I can tension the tarp seperate from the ridgeline. Knots hold very good. The whipped eye is whipped under the paracord with waxed linen thread, then whipped again with paracord sheathing. I dont think it makes it stronger, but it might. With the waxed linen, I doubt seriously that I needed it.

These are IAwoodsmens pics, but they do better at what im sayin then me.
Tarpshelter5.jpg

Heres another of a girth hitch. I use this for tying out from the loops to the tent stakes.

Tarpshelter6.jpg

(Thanks for the pics IA)

This is a good thread as pre setup tarp lines make all the difference for a fast/tight pitch. In fact having everything ready to go has allowed me to beat the rain a few times. The first thing I setup is my ridgeline which also works for tarps pitches that don't employ a ridgeline like the lean-to.

IMG_1398.jpg

I use a friction knots so the tarp can be adjusted along the line without the need to tie anything. I don’t like to tie knots in the field and the whole setup often requires one (sometimes none) to pitch a tarp. The bineers are used for the ridgeline/tarp and main support pole/tree/whatever.

IMG_1399.jpg

I use loops to connect the tie-offs. There are adjustable knots etc methods for the lines but I stopped using them as the loops work just fine.

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

I like to use UL webbing over paracord most of the times as it won’t tangle so can be tossing into my pack on the fly and it won’t come back to haunt me as the rain is falling. Crazy strong stuff but only use it for the tie-offs as not sure a friction knot would slide on it.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

As for the lengths of everything the OP is going to have to work that out for himself. I wouldn’t go shorter than 6 feet with pre looped ends for the tie-offs.

Thanks, I'm going to look into maybe making something like that for myself. Especially now that I've learned how to whip with Kevin's excellent video :)

That twig tensioning method looks sweet! Nice simple method. I'm going to give that a try next time I'm playing with the tarp :thumbup:

Woods Walker, thanks :thumbup: More good ideas I'll need to play with.

Last edited:
Some photos of tarp setups. One thing about tarp camping is no two setups are the 100% the same. On a side note packing a Silnylon poncho with tri-offs is one of the best gear items going in my view. So much goodness at so little weight and bulk.

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_0975-1.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

100_2786.jpg

100_3052.jpg

I really like having a cord kit around. I keep a set of four lengths for all kinds of things. Each length is kept in its own ziplock back and then the bags are thrown in a stuff sack. The lengths I like are XL (2 x 20'), L (5 x 12'), M (7 x 6') and S (12 x 3'). I use the cordage for more things than shelter. If I need longer than the 20', I just lash two together. Before is saw IAWoodsman's video on making a cord kit, I was continuously buying paracord and always cutting it up to size as I needed it. Now, I don't need to be constantly buying paracord any longer.

I like how this thread is expanding :thumbup: WoodsWalker, thanks for the pics, you are quite the Tarp camper.

Ken, I'll have to look up that video. I definitely see the utility in keeping a dedicated cord kit, especially if you're out practicing skills that require cordage (bow drill, traps, shelter building). I, too, have been guilty of the "cut as I need it."

I cut it up into the following lengths:
• 4 – 3’ long pieces
• 3 – 8’ long pieces
• 1 – 15’ long piece

The 3’ and 15’ long pieces can be used immediately if I need to setup my poncho into a shelter. The 15’ long piece acts as the ridge line for a basic a-frame style setup and the 3’ long pieces will anchor the corners. Within minutes I can have shelter up and I still have 24’ of cordage left over.

IMG_1895.jpg

my tarp (poncho/tarp) is a little smaller and I don't use a ridgeline (I've extra cordage if I were to ever need to)- use trekking poles- my lines are 2 @ 6' these are usually used w/ the trekking poles, 2 @ 4', 2 @ 3' and 2 @ 2'- all have a loop tied in (bowline) and then an adjustable loop (tautline) in the other end, makes pitching pretty quick, some pitches only use some of the line

ponchotarp.jpg

Here is IA's cord kit video:

[youtube]h_Av_751ysI[/youtube]

Back