Prefered grind for new maker.

Hi all, my first post here. I've been trying to get into blade manufacturing for a while. but I never had the room for the tools. Well thats all better now so I want to get started. I am not ready to forge my own steel so I will be buying preforged stock. But I still need to shape and grind it into a knife.

So I was wondering if there was a specific type of blade grind that the community would recommend for a 1st timer. ie; flat, hollow, convex,or chisel. I am thinking of starting out with medium sized single edge fighters and maybe a few neck knives. And will most likely be using either D2 or another knife that will give a good edge retention ability.

Chances are I will be back here very often looking for advice and hope to make some more friends. Thanks for any help you can give.

ErinT

You will probably get a few differant answers Erin , But the hollow grind is the easiest. Once you have the groove established the stock just falls into place. I doesnt grind itself :) but to me hollow is the easiest Good luck with it and practice on some pieces of wood or mild steel before you waste good knife steel.

Mark is right, Erin. Tell us what kind of equipment you have and really that's what will determine your grinding style. It's pretty hard to make a hollow grind with only files. Do you have a belt grinder?

where are you from? you should try to find a maker in your area. as you'll be able to tell from the forum pretty much all makers are willing to help out 100% and teach all they can teach. i would decide my grind onthe style knife and its intended use. if i wanted a big ol camp knife.... i'd flat grind it or maybe convex grind it for the thicker edge, a little more backing for the tough work. for a small skinning knife i'd go with a nice hollow grind, a nice thin edge for something intended to touch nothing other than meat. keep asking questions as you go, and keep us updated on your progress.

Mike

I'm in Sacramento Kalifornia.

I have fairly limited supplies at the momment. Having no job is a pain when trying o do just about anything. But thats a work in progress.

Anyway, I have a 6" bench grinder, a lots of files. Many of them need replacing though. A disk grinder. And hack saws.

Once I can get working I am looking at getting a belt grinder and anything else you guys recommend. I didn't think to ask if there were any other knife makers in the area. I would really like to meet some toher knife makers in the area, and from afar. I have watched some of the work you guys do develop. And have loved every minute of it.

Who knows, maybe I can even get an apprenticeship. :D

With the files and the disk grinder, flat grinds will probably be easiest to do. The bench grinder will be good for profiling.

flat grind on a disc grinder/sander is pretty easy. Just make the bevel half the width of the blade. easy to sharpen too.

Back