Prefered knife design?

This question is for members in the military or retired from the military. Based on your experience in the military if you could have a knife made like you wanted it what would if be made of and what would it look like? No pictures or drawing required, just a good description.

HI Kukuri BAS model carbon steel, Sirupati 18 inch model. you can go over to Himalayan Imports forum and get a link to thier shopping site and there's also post/thread about a Sirupati being used in current combat. Akabu

This is kind of tough to answer because how can you stop at just one? If a person liked medium-large knives, something along the lines of the Randall 14 is still a tough design to beat. This is small enough to carry easily, is big enough to do some light chopping, and it still makes a good weapon. Wilson (of 1911 .45 fame) is offering an intergral hilt version of the Randall 14 style. If a person likes a smaller knife, something like the Strider BG would be good--nice sharp point, a little belly, easy to carry, would make a good weapon. I've never been a fan of cord wrapped handles, but his models with fixed handles sound like they'd be indestructible. My tastes in blade steel run towards the simple ones like O1, L2, and D2. Something like O1 can be blued with instant blue, it doesn't work well on something like D2. I like Micarta handles on carry knife. Leigh

I agree. The Randall 14 is a great design. It is hard to beat the way it comes from Randall. However, if this design were made of Busse's INFINI it would be the knife to carry.

Hi..

For an all out basic tool,,, Busse has already done that for me...Take your pick...

As a defensive tool,, I'd have to give that some thought...

ttyle

Eric....

For an all arround tool I prefer my Randall model 18. I carried it for seven years in the military and can't immagine being in the field without it. I've also used it for camping, climbing, hunting, survival, and utility purposes. I am a martial artist as well, and it is a good fighting knife, but a little heavy. For a pure fighting knife I prefer something like the #2. Numbers 14, 15 & 16 are also excellent choices. I don't know enough about metalurgy to recomend a different material, but I doubt if anyone could improve much on a Randall knife.
(Maybe I'd better clarify- the only one of these knives I actually own is the #18. I do own and use other knives of similar designs to the ones I mentioned, but they just aren't the same somehow. The reference here was to the style.)

Wow.

In the most general of responses so as to provide a reasonable parameter from which you might work from...

Fixed blade wise, production knife I'd go with a Cold Steel SRK with a custom Kydex sheath from Bob at Survival Sheath Systems (see eval on this Forum of Bob's work). Fixed blade, custom knife I'd go with Jeff Conte's "Soldier's Knife" (eval to be posted). These designs are solid for the field soldier and fairly easy on the pocket book (always a consideration for the troop looking for a good field knife).

Pocket knife wise I'd agree with the Swiss Army thought process. There is a wide variety of SA models so you can pick and choose, according to available funds. These are great knives, well made, and always practical.

Hope that helps some.

Greg,

No Ninja Monger Death Stalker 2000 knife with 1/4" Surgical Stainless Steel, 12" long with saw back, hollow handle, grappling hooks that shoot out of the enormous double guard, mini-knife stored in handle that converts to spear blade and scalpel, and Ninja smoke bombs stored in a sheath pocket for avoiding capture?

Crayola,

That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for! Do they sell those in Canada? Leigh

Leigh,

Yeah, they sell 'em in Canada. You can go to www.mallninjasecretsupplies.ca and order one. You have to punch in the secret number, because they don't want to sell these things to anyone, you know. In the hands of a yappy punk, the Ninja Monger Death Stalker 2000 could do some real damage. If you want, I can go to their secret Mall Ninja store and get one. I have clearance because I have been taking lessons from the Mall Ninja for a while now.

HEHE :)

I like the Cold Steel Recon Scout for a fixed-blade, and a Spyderco Chinook for a folder. Both are very stout knives that should survive most anything that's tossed at 'em.

Ninja Monger Death STalker 2000?

I HAVE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE:eek:

Maybe if I go through Ishida Kim, Grandmaster of all true Ninja?

I always hear about the really good knives after everyone else these days:mad:

Guess I'll have to dump the Randalls now:barf:

What a bummer:(

Ninja Death Stalker 2000...cool:p

Greg,

I'll see what I can do about getting one for you to do a Battle Blades review on. Because of the coolness and death-bringing factor of this knife, it may be tough. For now, you will have to play with your plain 'ol clip point SRK and the gadgety SAK. :)

***P.S., I hope that this "tangent" has helped emphasize that simple thigns work for combat troops, and the rest is just chairborne commando crap. What did Greg Walker say in his Battle Blades book? Something like: Handle + guard + blade + sheath= knife. So simple, but thumbing through some knife catalogs you'd almost be convinced it wasn't simple!

Back