Preferences

I have set my prefs to show posts of the last day.
When I log in, the individual groups have reset to 5 days. Sometimes ,after I have read a few posts, the "last day" setting kicks in. But not always.
I have reset my preferences several times...no change.

Any suggestions ?

Brian W E

Brian, check the URL you are logging into. Are you entering through the front page of the site?

If you have bookmarked the forums themselves (you wouldn't do that, would you?), it may have a snippet of code saying "BypassCookie=True".

If that's the case, then you are bypassing the preferences cookie stored on your computer. Once you check a few threads, you get back on the "normal" mode, where the software is checking your cookie preferences, thereby showing the correct number of days.

Hope this helps you, please let me know either way, and I'll do everything I can to find a solution to this.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Spark

Funny thing......this time it works as advertised....no problems at all.

In fact, I have bookmarked (MSIE 4.0 Links in the tool bar)the front index page which contains all of the groups and light globes.

I will play for a day or so and give you an update.

Brian W E

Spark

No...it is still happening.
It only happens for a few messages and then resets.......no real problem, but interesting.
My entry page is the one I described.....the first page of the forums where all the individual forums are listed with their light globes.

Brian, would you mind copying and pasting the URL that you enter the forums with?

If you have the forums bookmarked, just click on the bookmark, then copy the whole thing and paste it in your reply.

It should look something like this: http://www.bladeforums.com/cgi/Ultimate.cgi .....

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Insert witty quip here

Sure thing.........

http://bladeforums.com/cgi/Ultimate.cgi

Hey, Spark.....no big deal. Just wondering why I seem to be the only one .

Brian W E

You aren't the only one Brian that is experiencing it. Usually, though, this is a problem displayed when people either use multiple browsers, or have bookmarked the forums themselves.

Have you tried bookmarking the front page of the site, http://www.bladeforums.com and then entering the forums through there? You may want to try doing that for a few days, it could fix your problem.

Also, if your URL is changing from BladeForums.com to Bladeforums.com or bladeforums.com, your cookie isn't going to work correctly, which is why consistancy is the key....

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Insert witty quip here

Just switched my bookmark as suggested...seems to work fine.
Will advise if it goes away again
smile.gif
-

Thanks, Brian W E

No...it is working great.

Here's another one.
When browsing through the forums, topics I have not accessed are in a very weak blue color and those I have visited are a weak grey.....not all that easy to distinguish.
I think the same applies to messages within the topics.
BUT...just a few minutes ago, the grey suddenly became red and the blue became a stronger color.....great contrast.
But it reverted after reading a few posts.
Have I got something set incorrectly or are you experimenting ?

I have checked my MSIE settings and the colors are red and blue.

Brian W E

[This message has been edited by brian w edginton (edited 22 November 1998).]

Brian, I do have the option of changing the link colors to something else. Let me do some checking, and we'll see what we can do about making it more visible.

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Insert witty quip here

I have checked my settings under "Internet Options"
By checking the box "ignore web page specified colors" I get the contrasting colors but lose the shade bars you use to break up the pages.
It seems you are specifying non-standard colors....or my browser thinks you are.

Hope I am not keeping you up
smile.gif

Brian W E

Brian, I just changed the colors from Blue and Blue/Grey to a brighter blue and dark Blue combination.

How does this look to you now?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Insert witty quip here

Just a bit confused.........my email reader just told me there was a reply (from Spark) to my original post to the Tech Support Forum.
Been there.......no new posts.

No worries...but would appreciate some kind of explanation

Did try to open it several times....

Brian W E

Spark

Funny that......my email reader told me there was a reply from you but it was not there immediately (had to come back in a couple of times)......seems to be a html thing !!

Right...went back and changed my MSIE settings and the new forum colors work fine.
My standard MSIE colors are BETTER , though....in terms of contrast (red and blue) ...but they deprive me of the shaded bars that break up your pages and make them less stressfull to read.

Gotta say, though.......the "ignore webpage colors" (or whatever) setting really did make some other sites easier to read, too.
Might just reinstate the setting and tolerate the lack of shadings here.

Dunno yet....
smile.gif
-

Why doesn't someone else help out here ?
Nobody else have a problem ?

But thanks for the attention

Brian W E

The reason you didnt see Spark's post when you came back is because your browser was using a catched copy of the html page, if that happens hit the refresh button and it will load the newest version of the page.
Its a browser thing.

Spark wasnt sure yesterday if he would be online today. Hopefully he will be on tomorrow.

Have a good move Spark!

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

Back