Preferred use of 2 SAK blades

Just curious; there seems too be two major schools of thought on the large and small SAK blades.
1. Main blade for food, small blade for work.(myself included)
2. Main blade for all, small blade for back-up.
I don't see either as wrong. Just curious how you use yours and the reasoning.

Actually I'd much rather have another tool, especially on something named "tinker".
But it's more about control, although you can choke up on a larger blade. Small knife for finer work.

I use the main blade for almost all cutting tasks and the small blade if I think a small blade is more suitable. For finer work or for opening packages and envelopes.

Thats easy... the mainble only for food (!!) and the seconday blade for work. Each of the them is always kept razorsharp.

I'm also a follower of the clean blade/ dirty blade principle and the main blade is the clean blade on SAK's.

Although I usually don't use my EDC knives for food, I have. Usually the longer blade helps because some food is tall, and you will be dragging your handle through it on some smaller blades.

As with any two bladed folder it's the main blade for most stuff and the pen blade for finer detailed tasks the small blade is more suited to.

You could use one blade for meat and one for dairy (cheese) but a rabbi would probably tell you to use different knives. No doubt there is a ruling in Talmudic law.

I keep forgetting it has the small blade. :(
To be honest, I use the other tools more than the blade(s) on my Huntsman.
Generally speaking, if I need a blade, I'll use one of the other knives I have on me.

I have never used the knife blades on my current Swiss Champ. I carry other knives for cutting stuff. I carry the SAK for all it's other tools.

O.B.

I'm a follower of thermal blade for small jobs like cutting open boxes and opening my mail and stripping wire, and ,main blade or food items and just stuff that requires a long blade. Most jobs can be done with a Stanley 99 or other utility knife and they only have a one inch blade. Most cutting jobs don't require much blade as per the example the popularity offloading utility knives like Husky, Super Knife and Milwaukee that most tradesmen carry.

I love having a second blade on my SAK.

I ise the large blade for most tasks - not food- and the small pne is kept clean and sharp for something......

Most of the SAKs I own have only one blade. A couple have two. I carry one that has only one blade and usually a second knife. I subscribe to option #2 generally on traditionals that have a small and larger blade.

Back