Preliminary Report on 15 Inch AK

I have been out of town for a few days, and my 15 inch AK arrived while I was gone. I was in a sweat to get back, as you might imagine.

As soon as I got home last night, I asked, "Where is my khukuri?"

The khukuri in guestion was quickly produced, and the unveiling proceeded...

The khuk feels very substantial ion the hand, solid and capable, evoking a feeling of confidence. Fit and finish are very nice, plenty good enough for what I wanted the knife for. It doesn't show factory precision, but I am getting bored with cookie cutter knives anyway. The balance is excellent, lively but authoritative in the swing.

I took it out back and immediately began working on a brush patch out behind the house. My wife protested, because she thinks the brush patch is "shrubbery" or something. Anyway, it is a fairly hard wood, and limited chopping through some bigger limbs, some of them dead, didn't do anything to the edge at all. To test edge geometry, I lopped off some small green shoots, and it snicked them off like a smaller, thinner knife would be expected to.

Although the edge was unaffected by the little bit of cutting I did, I wanted to see how sharp an edge it would take. It came not quite shaving sharp, but in about five minutes, it would pop the hair off with alacrity, well enough to make my wife wince appreciatively.

As soon as possible, perhaps later today, I plan to give it a more thorough test in the woods. When I do, I'll add to this. But util then, I am very pleased, and already planning my next purchase.

Are there going to be any more PGA's?

:)

Coonskinner-

My friend and I just got 15" AKs. Give that knife a royal beating and come back with a report!

Reports from the field are valuable to everybody whether they are good or bad. Keep reporting.

Back