Preparations for NYC residents

Kublai

Gold Member
Mr. Caracci,

Welcome to the Forums - a pleasant surprise. According to your bio, you seem to have training and experience in potentially dangerous environments, therefore, making you an ideal candidate to provided the following info. Faced with looming threats of biological terrorist attacks as well as further bombings, what preparations could a NYC resident undergo to further insure their safety and the safety of family, friends, and fellow citizens?

Will gas masks help? Chemical protective suits? 2 way radios? Weapons carry? Food and water storage?

As you may know, gas masks have been increasingly difficult to find since the Sept. 11 attack.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

All the Best,

Paul

CJ, If I may be so bold, I would like to put my .02 on this topic.
It seems to me that unless you
1. Have the training in the maintenance of your NBC gear
2. Desire to carry it with you everywhere you go
3. Have had training about how to recognize the symptoms
of a gas attack (as I expect it may not always be visible)...

It may be wasted money. Not only that, but there are many forms of military gas mask on the market that may be completely out of date and therefore ineffective against contemporary nerve agents. Now I am certainly not advocating joining the flock of sheeple. But just like purchasing a firearm, decide the purpose and application of your purchase and learn how to use it. Otherwise don't bother. If you are looking for info in regards to weapons carry in NYC... Be careful and look to the advice from a local attorney. Otherwise you may find yourself experiencing the next catastrophy while "inside" with no options at your disposal.

Welcome to the forums CJ... I look forward to learning a great deal here.

Dave

I may be wrong, but I think (think) the current view is that biologicals are more likely than chemical, and I do believe that smallpox and anthrax are currently considered the most likely candidates. If that is the case, you most likely will get a lethal dose before you realize it, unless you wear the mask all the time (if even that will do). Do a little research on the internet for anthrax; if that gets let loose, it's gonna be a rough time for a while. Same with smallpox. Actually, nevermind, don't search. I wish I hadn't.

I'd be glad to hear someone else tell me I'm way off base, btw.

And don't forget the gieger counter. A massive biological attack would lead to immediately to all hell breaking out. I am sure that most of the Middle East would be reduced instantly into molten slag.

n2s

Really the best protection for NYC residents is to stop living where buildings fall on you. While true that there's danger everywhere, the specific terrorist threat is relatively lower in Buffalo.
I personally don't beleive the NBC threat, but if I'm wrong, there's little I could do about it any way.
Gas masks are only as effective as their filter, and they don't make universal ones that'll stop anything. By the time you got it out, and put in the proper filter, You'd be dosed. Bios are even worse, because they can infect from skin contact. You'd need a full drysuit with internal oxy supply on BEFORE the threat to survive it. I'd rather be OTH of any weapons of mass destruction, thank you.

Get out?
I think not.
This is where my extended family is and where my job is.
I choose to stay.
If it comes to NBC...the folks OTH will get to see the suffering on TV before it gets to them a week or 3 later.
In fact if TSHTF in a non NBC way, we aint gettin out of the city anyway. Heck, you can't get out of the city on a Friday evening in the summertime or a Sunday afternoon.
What I would like to hear are suggestions to keep my home and family safe from the hoards if the power grid goes down etc...
Being caught on the subway and in an elevator are major concerns too.
Suggestions?
Thanx all,
Ebbtide

Don't be to cheezed, I was a bit quasi-facetious about leaving your home because some towel heads say so. I was merely trying to stress the futility of trying to prepare for weapons of mass destruction. If you're in the line of fire, there's realisticly little you can do.
As for the more manageable threats of being trapped in a lift, or underground, I'd try to avoid them if possible. Barring that, a survival kit seems in order. For the lift, you should get by with food, water, light, and possibly an expanding baton for lifting ceiling panels, and leverage on doors.
In the underground, a more extensive BOB in a breifcase, or gym bag shouldn't be too much hassle. I'd carry a gun, knife, wrecking tool, (Claw hammer, crowbar, etc), food, water, flares, map, comfortable shoes, medkit, Big flashlight, and maybe a 20' coil of rope.
As for your familly, this is the typical cataclysmic situation so many of us where prepairing for and are saying "I tol'ja, see? I tol'ja!" now. Go with the standards, food, water, baracades, and lots of guns.

Not cheezed at all...
I'm old enough to remember "Duck & Cover" (under your desk and cover your head when the bomb goes off)
So I guess I've come to terms with staying ;)
I agree with you gear selections, I've been toting around a 16 oz framing hammer, Dozier K-9, mini maglite, and about 40' of paracord.
I picked the small knife to stay legal, besides the framing hammer is a war hammer...
We are campers, so there are lotsa goodies for the homestead, lanterns, stoves, etc.
I didn't consider barracades...thanx.
Suggestions welcome!

Kublai,
The fact that you are more vigilant and concerned does more than anything. Although I have a lot to say about the future and these events I will refrain. I would merely suggest that when this is all said and done remember that the government cannot protect you. We all are now going to have to live with these acts. The rest is common sense.
Unless you are in an occupation were you would be responding to such incidents (EMT, POLICE, FIRE etc.) having all the necessary protection is probably moot. On the other hand if I was forced to ride mass transit (subway) then a flashlight, leatherman and gas mask might not be such a bad idea. Remember however the filter for the gas mask has to be Chemical/Biological not just for irritants.

Try to stay away from the large masses of people. Mass transit is and will be a targeted area. Notice the unusual, that before now went past you obliviously.

Please, Please do not believe because one has an official capacity, that they know better than you! Use YOUR head, for example, whether or not you should leave the building, after all if you are wrong all you have to do is go back in.

See things that are small in a big way and see things that are big in a small way.

Now I am afraid you cannot wonder if it will happen again, but rather when and where will it happen again.
The truth is it doesn't have to be the "terrorist" it could be a crazed gunman at the local grocery store, that threat was always there, were you ready for it?
Are you ready now!

Originally posted by CJ Caracci
The truth is it doesn't have to be the "terrorist" it could be a crazed gunman at the local grocery store, that threat was always there, were you ready for it?

Interesting that you should mention that, Mr. Caracci. Saturday, a county guy went out not 2 miles from my house here in southern Maryland and shot two construction workers with a high-powered rifle. I was totally unaware of what had happened when I went on a short errand. As I drove by a local gas station, a police car and a few cars were stopped there. As I slowly drove by (heavy traffic now), I noticed what appeared to be a rifle laying on the pavement. As I went over into the next county, I saw police cars surrounding a trailer, with a chopper hovering over it. Stil no clue, except that something serious must be going on. Turns out the shooter had crossed into the next county, stopped at a trailer-home and took the people (total strangers to him) hostage. I realized after that that the pistol that I normally keep in a "strategic" place in the house should PROBABLY be on my side when I'm home (the only place I can legally carry it). And this is in a rural area!

Back