Preppy

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good day to you!

This knife is Preppy. Preppy has one job to do, and that is to help prepare some food so that you can put it in your face.

The AEB-L blade is flat ground, with a convex plane leading to a very fine, keen edge. The blade is distal tapered, and has a very acute, sharp tip.

The handle is marvellous Richlite, held to a G10 frame with hidden steel pins. The tang is held to the handle with G10 pins.

A light duty sheath of dyed and hot packed leather allows you to carry Preppy around.

There isn't a whole lot to say about this knife, it's just a simple and practical tool that will do its duty in your kitchen- whether that kitchen is in your home or at the camp site.

Approx weight of knife; NA
Approx weight of sheath; NA
Blade length; 4.5"
Overall length; 4.5"
Steel thickness; .10"
Handle width; NA

VQWoely.jpg

o80LlnA.jpg

vw5TvIS.jpg

jKDV5gj.jpg

a2GrTC3.jpg

1nY4s3J.jpg

I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at my work. Please feel free to post any comments or questions you may have.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Love it.

I am finding more and more that thinner fixed blades are my jam.

Looks like this blade would be a great performer, and looks good doing it.

Love it! Awesome, sleek lines.
Your designs look like they are moving fast while sitting still......💨

Real Sweet, looks very comfortable to grab.... One of my favorite styles, too!

Love it.

I am finding more and more that thinner fixed blades are my jam.

Looks like this blade would be a great performer, and looks good doing it.
Thanks! I gave this knife to my friend who is a bit of a foodie, so I'm looking forward to hearing how he likes it
This looks super clean, Lorien. Very nice!
🙌
You are knocking out some beauties sir!
I was known for that in high school,....er, um. Sorry, I read that as 'knocking up'😂
Love it! Awesome, sleek lines.
Your designs look like they are moving fast while sitting still......💨
that's what I like to hear- thank you!
Damn that’s sleek
🙌
Real Sweet, looks very comfortable to grab.... One of my favorite styles, too!
the handle is very svelte. I'll be making another one of these for another friend and it'll have a much fatter handle. Wait to you see the material I'm using for that one! Ho, boy

So cool ! In my imaginary world, my entire kitchen drawer is filled with such beauties ! Great stuff Lorien.

specs added to OP

So cool ! In my imaginary world, my entire kitchen drawer is filled with such beauties ! Great stuff Lorien.
that could be arranged;)

I'm working on another Preppy currently, for an old friend of mine. I thought some of you might like to see how these things go together. Nothing out of the ordinary, but just in case you're interested;

Looks like a most excellent user. The only thing missing is the IZOD logo but otherwise you nailed it. Lovely and sleek. ;)

Looks like a most excellent user. The only thing missing is the IZOD logo but otherwise you nailed it. Lovely and sleek. ;)
I had to look that up...😂

An old friend contacted me a few months ago, which was nice. He commissioned for his friend, a chef at a Vancouver steak house, a Preppy for an Xmas gift.

The chef was described as a meat pawed, 43 year old Lego collector. So, I knew I had to make some tweaks to this design for him, for instance; Preppy is designed to have a slim handle, it's to encourage maximum dexterity, but for a very large hand some scaling up was required. The handle is thicker, about 7/8".

Also, this knife is meant for cutting meat, so the primary bevel is hollow ground, as is the swedge which I sized up in order to maximize distal taper of the blade.

The secondary bevel is relatively robust until it reaches the belly, and suddenly everything becomes much more acute. I'd describe the secondary bevel out toward the tip as a micro bevel. Geometry cuts, so even as that micro bevel is blunted against ceramic dishware, etc it will continue to cut relatively well, and will be easy to hone. Over time, it should settle in to become a little more durable but for now it's like a scalpel.

I drew up a little two by two Lego block, which was laser engraved onto the blade, and chose the most vibrant G10 I've ever seen. I've had it forever, and never used it because I thought it was hideous. Now that I know what it looks like as a finished handle, I'm looking forward to using it again.

I refer to this iteration of Preppy as Steak Laser Edition.

K22sLns.jpg

wsyqenW.jpg

aD2A3Pq.jpg

LHqyltJ.jpg

UyoD13k.jpg

Y22ImJX.jpg

Very nicely done. Most excellent upgrades given the program. :thumbsup: You will blow him away with the looks and that refined edge geometry.

Back