Presented to Field Marshal Lord Birdwood

To me, we are seeing two objects out of context. Maybe a swagger stick and the katana. Show the entire saya if it is only representing the katana. The wiki notes a Japanese honor but not his regiment. If the presentation is indeed on the saya, there would be a paper trail somewhere regarding the presentation added to an older sword (the sword predating his service years).
His autobiography Khaki and Gown (1941) was followed by In my time: recollections and anecdotes (1946)

Indeed, always display the entire object when asking regarding a knife or sword. Indeed any object.

Cheers
GC

Last edited:
To me, we are seeing two objects out of context. Maybe a swagger stick and the katana. Show the entire saya if it is only representing the katana. The wiki notes a Japanese honor but not his regiment. If the presentation is indeed on the saya, there would be a paper trail somewhere regarding the presentation added to an older sword (the sword predating his service years).
His autobiography Khaki and Gown (1941) was followed by In my time: recollections and anecdotes (1946)

Indeed, always display the entire object when asking regarding a knife or sword. Indeed any object.

Cheers
GC

Agreed; and thank you.

20180912_164656.jpg 20180912_164712.jpg

What seems most peculiar to me is the presentation from the regiment of the Prince of Wales Bengal Lancers.

Strange
GC

Not at all!:confused:

I ran it up a flagpole and it was pointed out as quite fitting as a trophy after the war. Japan had occupied Japan during WWII and the Royal 12th Lancers had been part of the Liberation. Although retired, he held a rank with the regiment that was honored with this presentation.

Cheers
GC

"Japan had occupied Japan during WWII". I assume you meant Burma.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Japan
600px-Japanese_Empire_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

I wonder how this sword left the family... there seems to be such a rich history regarding this person. It's been sitting in my office for a long time and I decided to check it out. Thank you for all your insight.

Back