presidio 5000 sharpening

i bought a BM 5000 presidio auto that was marine issued and iraq used for $25.. its in amazing condition after some cleaning and loctite'ing but i cant find anything anywhere about
what angle to sharpen the blade. i dont want to go off and just try and sharpen it willy-nilly cuz.. well.. im not the best sharpener, but if i knew the correct angle i could get it real nice. thanks!

The blade steel should be 154CM, like the blades on the 520s and 525s. With the right kit you should be able to handle it. I use a Sharpmaker on my 525s, so I have a choice of 15 degs per side or 20 degs per side. On my 154CM knives, I use the 20 dps setting to get a bit more durable edge.

If you're able to measure edge angles, I'd suggest trying 20 degrees per side. You might have to reset the bevels to 20 dps before you actually sharpen the edge, particularly if the knife is well used. A coarse or medium diamond stone will be useful here to remove more steel more quickly. Then you can start refining the edge to sharpen it.

yup, its 154cm steel, i dont however have a sharpening kit.. i just have a smith's diamond sharpening stick and a protractor to measure degrees. lol, i know i should get a better kit.. its on the list. thanks tho.

yup, its 154cm steel, i dont however have a sharpening kit.. i just have a smith's diamond sharpening stick and a protractor to measure degrees. lol, i know i should get a better kit.. its on the list. thanks tho.

You're going to have figure it out on your own. Experiment with different angles. Or you can invest in a sharpening kit, and learn to use it according to the dictions. I doubt giving you a random number (angle in this case) is going to help you practice or give you the patience to learn technique. Generally speaking you can try 25 degrees per side, maybe 20 per side.

yeah, i need a good kit.. i was thinking about the spyderco sharpmaker but i'd have to do some reviewing first.

yeah, i need a good kit.. i was thinking about the spyderco sharpmaker but i'd have to do some reviewing first.

You also need to decide which way you want to go... guided system vs. freehand. No reason you can't eventually use both, but it'll probably come to you faster if you learn one or the other first, then add the other technique. Using something like the Sharpmaker or a Lansky may produce quicker results for you. The learning curve is a little less steep on guided systems. Freehand sharpening might be more satisfying ultimately if you're a compulsive sharpener who does it for "therapy" (like a lot of us on BF are).

You also need to decide which way you want to go... guided system vs. freehand. No reason you can't eventually use both, but it'll probably come to you faster if you learn one or the other first, then add the other technique. Using something like the Sharpmaker or a Lansky may produce quicker results for you. The learning curve is a little less steep on guided systems. Freehand sharpening might be more satisfying ultimately if you're a compulsive sharpener who does it for "therapy" (like a lot of us on BF are).

^^^^Very good advice^^^^

I've had very good results with the Lansky guided system. I also have the Gatco and although the stones are larger the Lansky system just works better for me.

I also have a Smith's system that is very similar to the Sharpmaker and have to say it's the quickest and easiest of all the systems to use and get the hang of at first. Especially when you just need a quick touch up. The Sharpmaker is larger and I plan to get one soon based on my experience with the Smith's.

Anyway you go there will be a bit of a learning curve but with these systems you really can't go wrong.

No matter which one you decide on I strongly recommend you practice a bit first on some cheaper blades to get the hang of it. We all have a drawer full of old and dull kitchen knives and that's what I used at first to practice before I tried sharpening my "better" knives. Worked out very well for me.

Best of luck and if you find you need help or advice as you get started this is the best place you can go to ask questions and get some tips. The folks here on BFC are always very willing to help out someone just getting started.

All the best!

Finding the angle is always the challenge no matter the system. Benchmade, BTW, does their edges by hand, anywhere from 20 to 24 inclusive. I always tell people if putting an edge is a challenge send the knife up...but in the case of not being military or EMT, either go through an authorized dealer or in fact get a system. My plug is for an Edge Pro which works for all of my knives and tools. It's a little expensive, but also eliminates any guess work.

That's a nice knife, good luck!

wow, all of you have given some good advice! i took a look at that edge pro apex 1 and if i can come up with the funds, i just might go in that direction. im not the type that sharpens for therapy
i just want my knives to be sharp and not have to think about it twice, altho knowing how to sharpen a knife free hand would probably be more useful.

I sharpen my friend's army-issued 5000 at 40 inclusive and he has no complaints.

NEVER send your knife in, learn to sharpen it yourself! You don't fail at sharpening until you quit trying, it took me couple years to learn effective ways to sharpen various tools, knives, axes, machetes...

Back