Recommendation? Preventing Rust in Shipping?

I usually coat the blade with Ballistol and ship it in a blade sleeve. I’ve never had a complaint about rust.

I've been using a mixture of food grade carnuaba and bees wax. Seems to work well
Since i mostly make kitchen knives i worry about residue getting into food if someone doesn't wash it before using it. Probably not a big risk really, but it shows I care

Make sure it’s completely dry, then rub it well with marine tuff glide. It’ll get the unrusted, and you’ll never have any complaints about oil down in the sheath. I hate that, especially on kydex. It attracts dust and dust + kydex = sctatches.

Small desiccant packs are cheap on amazon, I see 500 for $20 USD.

I send out a significant number of 8670 and 15N20 blades that I belt satin finish on fine Scotchbrite belts. I typically ship them in their Boltaron, Holstex, or Kydex sheaths, after coating them with mineral oil. Recently I was notified that one arrived with a very noticeable spot of rust on it. Now it is getting colder out, so the knife likely experienced a few temperature changes on its journey, which maybe had sometime to do with it, i.e. drawing moisture and condensation? My thoughts at this time are to continue coating with mineral oil, and also maybe include some kind of desiccant in the box as well, though I don't know what those would be necessarily, how exactly I would use them, or where I would find them. So I am looking for suggestions on that, and in general how you ship your carbon steel blades to prevent rust. Thanks!
I've just been shipping stuff with a very liberal coating of 3-in-1 oil. And making sure to let people know to wash them with warm water and soap before they use them.

Also its a good ideal to make sure the knife is completely dry and free of anything that could corrode it before applying the oil.

Back