Preview: My Terry Primos Bowie awaiting heat treatment

Terry sent me this picture this morning of the knife sitting on his anvil ready for heat treating. I think he'd prefer to finish the knife before I began posting too much about it, but I asked him if I could post this pic and he consented.

The forged blade is 10 1/2" of 1085 steel, and the solderless guard will be nickel silver. Although he offers a differential heat treatment with bold temper lines as an option, I'm choosing a full quench to keep the more simple look I have in mind.

This is my first custom knife, and I can't wait to hold it!!

Attachments

• blade_on_anvil.jpg
    blade_on_anvil.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 234
That's a beauty.I can assure you that you will be pleased when you get it.Terry is a good knifemaker and a super guy.We'll be waiting for pics.Dave:)

Ah, nothing like the sight of a large, full flat ground bowie blade to get your heart pumping.

Double guard? Handle material? Damn, I'm trying to picture how I would want that blade finished for myself :rolleyes:

Looks to be a fine blade and I am sure that you will be very happy with it when it is finished.

HC,
You are officially bitten by the "bug"
Enjoy that knife, it looks like a beauty already :D

Thanks, guys. It will be a double guard, and the handle will be made from Arizona Desert Ironwood. Terry will finish the blade with a convex edge with about a 30 degree angle, while the false edge will be brought to a peak and left unsharpened to keep the knife legal to carry in more locations.

My only worry is that I'll take this tough, capable blade and pamper it like an idiot, never using it on anything more than arm hair. Terry did mention that one good cure for this tendancy was to buy two... Hmmmm.....

He Shoots. He SCORES!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the finished knife.

Way to go Happy Camper.
You made a very good choice. Both the style of knife and the maker. All of that research you did payed off in a big way.

When you go out and use one of Terrys knives that is whey you will really want another. Congradulations. You got a winner.
jf

Back