Price for Large Regular Sebenza BG42

Decided hunting for a Large Regular Sebenza BG42 would be a good way to pass the time during this particular time in the world. I was wondering if you fine folks had any idea of what a reasonable secondary price would be for a "user" complete with box/papers, etc???
Thanks in advance

You can buy one listed for $1495.
no idea what fair value is. This type of item is often ask whatever you want and see if anyone will pay it.
This item was listed elsewhere, but I believe the seller is a member here and has/or had it listed here.

Last edited:
Don’t expect to pay a reasonable secondary price for a regular in BG42, those things go for way more than reasonable. You’re about a year too late on a soft market for that knife. And they’re selling for the ridiculous prices.

Thanks for the info, from my research that’s kinda what I figured. I’m in no rush and not looking to send anyone’s kids to college to buy a knife ;-)

There are some pretty high asks, but there are some going for a grand and under.... It's only ridiculous if someone won't pay it.....

I 100% agree and I’d be happy to pay that price, like I said I’m in no hurry. The hunt is part of the fun

If i was financially set . I would say $650 for a user S30V and 775$ for a user BG-42. User or used* not worth 1$ more to me.

Large BG42 in mint condition can run up to about $1K to $1100 on the secondary not including the big auction site. Less than mint or light used can run from probably $650 to $800'ish? I've seen a couple Mint S30V versions sell for around $700 in the last few months. User S30V models have gone for around $500 a few times. Really just depends on the seller. Some will ask a premium and some like to pass them on for reasonable prices.

The ones for sale on the big auction site are way way over priced. Join the Facebook Chris Reeve Knives - BST and Chris Reeve Knives Exchange groups. They come up there from time to time. You can do a WTB post there and someone might have one for you?

Last edited:
Large BG42 in mint condition can run up to about $1K to $1100 on the secondary not including the big auction site. Less than mint or light used can run from probably $650 to $800'ish? I've seen a couple Mint S30V versions sell for around $700 in the last few months. User S30V models have gone for around $500 a few times. Really just depends on the seller. Some will ask a premium and some like to pass them on for reasonable prices.

The ones for sale on the big auction site are way way over priced. Join the Facebook Chris Reeve Knives - BST and Chris Reeve Knives Exchange groups. They come up there from time to time. You can do a WTB post there and someone might have one for you?

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I've already joined all the FB groups related to CRK and I've posted a couple of WTB posts, nothing yet...but I check everyday! I'm pretty patient, so we'll see if it pays off

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I've already joined all the FB groups related to CRK and I've posted a couple of WTB posts, nothing yet...but I check everyday! I'm pretty patient, so we'll see if it pays off
Excellent. Time and patience. Don't pay the crazy prices. Post the ISO ads and you will get a decent deal.

As someone who had and sold a modestly (barely) used BG-42 Regular right here on BF a while ago for waaay too little because I was unaware of their value spike I have a dumb question.

If BG-42 Regulars are worth so much more than the current iterations available from CRK, why the does not CRK simply run a batch or three of BG-42 Regulars and sell them for a price that makes sense both for CRK and the faithful?

Excellent. Time and patience. Don't pay the crazy prices. Post the ISO ads and you will get a decent deal.

For what definition of crazy though? There's a balance between "that's crazy it'll be cheaper after <TIME>" and "that's not being made anymore, how long do you want to wait?"

"It's worth what someone will pay" is also fairly bad advice. There might be one of something, which one person is willing to pay a lot for, and no one else is willing to pay even $1 for. Does that mean it's worthless or infinitely valuable? Who can say.

As someone who had and sold a modestly (barely) used BG-42 Regular right here on BF a while ago for waaay too little because I was unaware of their value spike I have a dumb question.

If BG-42 Regulars are worth so much more than the current iterations available from CRK, why the does not CRK simply run a batch or three of BG-42 Regulars and sell them for a price that makes sense both for CRK and the faithful?

CRK is always working on an order backlog and that's their business model. It means they traditionally do not have capacity to "simply run a batch" of something that hasn't been ordered. The Sebenza 31 (fantastic knife, well worth the updates, grab one if you can) was released in 2019 and here we are well over a year later without an Insingo or Tanto option. The list of things have to work on is comparable to their backlog, and nowhere on that list is "tool up and run ~quantity of ~20 year old model."

Every time a thread like this comes up I kick myself for selling the large and small lefty Regulars I used to own. They sold in literally minutes here on the exchange which I'm sure is an indication that I charged too little. I miss them, but can't see replacing at current prices--there are other CRK folders that are arguably as good or better and still a relative bargain.

CRK is always working on an order backlog and that's their business model. It means they traditionally do not have capacity to "simply run a batch" of something that hasn't been ordered. The list of things have to work on is comparable to their backlog, and nowhere on that list is "tool up and run ~quantity of ~20 year old model."

Maybe I just lack an understanding of business and am devoid of business acumen but would it not make sense to apply your resources to that with the greatest margin?

If BG-42 Regulars are in demand and buyers are willing to pay a premium over what you are offering - with the very same fixed production costs and arguably lower raw materials costs - what am I missing here? maybe it's time for a "Legacy Line" from CRK.

Anne, if you're listening, I expect a vig ... or at least a free knife. LOL

I wrote a bit more, but the summary is if CRK makes the same profit producing 100 Large Regulars as 1000 Large 31s I think the 31s are a better choice based on their production model.

Maybe I just lack an understanding of business and am devoid of business acumen but would it not make sense to apply your resources to that with the greatest margin?

Margin isn't everything. Let's say I had a product that I could sell to a captive market for nearly infinite margin but it would cost me nearly all my capital to tool up to produce it. Would that be the right decision?

CRK is a production company. They make production tools. Their product line is relatively small and the quality is extremely high. They don't make 1, 100, or even 1000 of anything.

Now aside from up front margin there's also the product life cycle. Say CRK tools up and sells 100 Large BG-42 Regulars. They warranty those for life, so factor in $(average warranty repair cost) x (average warranty repair rate) x 100.

If BG-42 Regulars are in demand and buyers are willing to pay a premium over what you are offering - with the very same fixed production costs and arguably lower raw materials costs - what am I missing here? maybe it's time for a "Legacy Line" from CRK.

I'd argue that raw material costs make up very little of CRKs production costs. The production costs aren't fixed. There's a large R&D cycle plus up front investment in tooling, fixtures, etc. which needs to be paid for. Amortized over ~10 years of production this is effectively acceptable. Amortized over ~100 pieces and the price paid would have to be unrealistically high.

Yup, you are entirely correct.

And one would think those R&D, tooling, fixtures and other one-time costs would have already occurred when the made the BG-42 Regular model.
As for amortization of those one-time fixed costs, I can only hope that CRK made a profit (well deserved) on the BG-42 Regulars they did tool up for, make and sell.

Yup, you are entirely correct.

And one would think those R&D, tooling, fixtures and other one-time costs would have already occurred when the made the BG-42 Regular model.
As for amortization of those one-time fixed costs, I can only hope that CRK made a profit (well deserved) on the BG-42 Regulars they did tool up for, make and sell.

20+ year old tooling doesn’t exactly assemble itself. Might not even fit the machines they have now.

Anne, if you're listening, I expect a vig ... or at least a free knife. LOL

I still feel after all these years that the large regular sebenza is the greatest folding knife ever designed. BG-42 is nice, but so is S30V. The handle ergos are as comfortable as it gets, the blade profile is just plain Epic and nothing carries like a large sebenza. The Classic & 21’s are nice and the 21 is what I carry mostly, but they pale in comparison to the ole large regular.

Back