Primos Montero pictorial

RAN

A few days back I got "The Call" Terry had forged up a Montero Blade with my name on it.Needless to say how thrilling that moment is for us knuts.
Anyways we had to settle on finish and handle details..I asked Terry to do his voodoo..but hinted that I loved his rustic finish on the last few pieces he had done.
what follows is a series of emails from Terry posted with his blessing.

Terry's words and pics..enjoy the lesson folks!

"I wish I had thought of doing this starting with the forging, but I didn't. I have quite a few pics of today's work so I'll send multiple emails with a few pics in each, and a description of what's being done."

"Since I didn't start taking pictures until after I'd already started the guard, spacer, and handle, I'll start this email with an explanation of what I do on this type of project and why."

"On a standard hunter I would just rough out the pieces, assemble the knife, then refine and finish everything at the grinder and by hand. On this one I can't do that, because it will have a textured and fileworked guard. So I have to*work the guard, spacer, and handle all together then disassemble them. Since*pieces must be*disassembled, I have to have a way to get everything back together later in perfect alignment."

"This is done by using indexing pins. A series of holes are drilled through the spacer, into the back of the guard, and into the face of the handle. Pins and a drop of cyanoacrylate are used to hold the three pieces together. I wish I had taken a pic of the procedure, but I was already well into this project when I thought about it. However, you will be able to see the indexing pins in a later shot where I disassemble the pieces."

pic1

"In Pic #1 you see the blade and the handle/guard assembly already well in progress. The guard, spacer, and handle have been shaped on the grinder. In this shot we are at* a 220 grit belt finish. From here I switch to hand work because 220 grit belts are the finest I have at this time. The blade will be lighter when I'm finished. Right now it has a heavy coat of Balistol on it for protection. The materials below the knife and handle are what your knife, guard, and spacer started as. The blade and guard are 1084 steel and the spacer is copper."

pic2

"In Pic #2 the guard, spacer and handle have been hand sanded to 2000 grit. Now I have to disassemble the pieces so I can continue work on the guard."

*pic3

"In Pic #3 I am carefully heating the guard just enough to start breaking down the bond of the cyanoacrylate. The guard and spacer will be removed and the residue from the cyanoacrylate will be cleaned up with acetone."

"I'll close for now and send more pics in the next email.

More to Follow tomorrow...
Terry is as Gifted as he is Generous..Thank you for sharing the Blood and Sweat..(we hope there are no tears the piece aint done yet shhh..) of your Art.
special Thanx to Peter for hosting the pics.

Very cool - I love to see these work-in-progress pics. Please keep us posted as things move along.

Roger

Thanks for sharing, it is captivating to see the work in progress. Especially when it's such a well-crafted knife...

Thanks RAN.........great tip from Terry on the guard/handle thing!!! :cool:

pic4

"In Pic #4 the three pieces have been separated and cleaned up with acetone. You can see the indexing pins that will be used to realign the pieces later when we do the final assembly. Now it's time to start working on the guard again."

*pic5

"In Pic #5 I have textured the guard. Now that I'm becoming interested in texturing I will be experimenting with carving textures, doing stippling, etc. For this one however, I did a hammer texture using the ball end of a ball pein hammer. This is tedious. It is easy to distort the piece or put a ding over a sharp edge. I use an Opti-Visor and hold my breath a lot for this step. (ha-ha)"

pic6

"In Pic #6 I've done a dry fit to make sure that I didn't distort the thing. It looks like it's going to be fine, so I'll move on the the filework."

*pic7

"In Pic #7 I am filing the groove around the guard with a*chainsaw file."

pic8

"In Pic #8 I am heat treating the guard to give it rustic look and color that I'm going for. It's hard to remove a piece of steel at 1475 - 1500 degrees F. and take a photo. This shot didn't come out too well. That slightly glowing thing near the middle of the picture is the guard."

*pic9

"In Pic # 9 the guard has been brushed with a steel brush to remove scale from the heat treating, but leave the grayish tint that I want."

*pic10

"In Pic #10 we see the face of the guard.* Now we'll check the fit up again."

pic11

"In Pic #11*This is just a loose*dry fit (no boding agents used). This was just to make sure things are going to line up.* It's starting to look like a knife, and it appears that everything is fitting up pretty good.

The next thing to do will be to permanently affix the guard, spacer, and handle. We'll still have a lot to do after that. We'll then be into the tedious stuff that makes you really hold your breath and clamp your butt cheeks together. -Terry Primos"

...And that's where we are folks..I'll update the progress as she moves along..but we wouldn't want to rush Greatness...

Cool thread Riad! Terry makes in incredible knife, and this rustic thing looks good.

(PS. Our bowie is doing well. :) )

Ran,

Thanks very much for the post. Primos is an artist, indeed.

Many thanks to RAN for doing the pictorial, and to Peter for hosting the images. The knife is finished, and I thought I'd take take the liberty to go ahead and post a couple of pics.

ran12.jpg

This shot shows the trick I'm using for the hidden pins. Holes are drilled in the slot made for the escutcheon. The holes go through the tang and into the other side of the handle, just not all the way through. Pins are inserted and tapped down with a nail set, then the escutcheon gets inlaid over the pins.

#####

Here's a shot of the finished knife.

ran15.jpg

It sure was a pleasure working with RAN on this project. I had only a very few general guidelines, and was given pretty much complete freedom to have fun and express myself.

I couldn't be happier a beautiful piece!

Terry is as Fine a gentleman as he is a Bladesmith. Sharing all facets of this pieces' creation enriches the experience,strenghtens the bond between maker and customer and the bond between knife and customer.

Thanx Terry and Thanx everyone for posting such nice comments...the wait for the sheath to be fitted and postman will be agonizing...

Back