Private label chef cutlery

So, while researching chef knives and the possibility of starting a private label line to compliment an online web cooking and education series, I was of course, overwhelmed with information on the web. So, I decided the best starting place would be where the experts on knife making gather. Though not a knife maker myself, I am familiar with manufacturing processes in various industries (I sold and trained high end CNC software for twenty years). One thing I see a whole lot of, is lines being manufactured in China. Steel is fluid, so to speak, it knows no borders so I see how quality steel can be had anywhere. I’m a little more partial to things being made in the U.S. but, where would I find a private label manufacturer in the U.S.? There are a variety of steels used by different knife professional kitchen cutlery manufacturers, each with its own qualities, pluses and minuses. I do have restaurant background and have worked with a lot of top chef’s. Most chefs aren’t married to the big “brand” names, nor moved by their marketing. They know their steel and look for the combination of balance, durability, and functionality. They don’t mind paying for quality but they aren’t interested in paying for marketing…it’s the tool, not the glossy brochures and pictures that they use. As my project involves farm-to-table chef’s and restaurants and education, I was looking at the possibility having a line of knives that had a practical, sustainable handle and something a pro wouldn’t hesitate to pick up and use. Richlite would be an interesting choice for handles, durable, sustainable, and attractive. I check online and see a ton of private label manufacturers in China using any kind of steel you spec but, I do like the “Made in America” label. Is a quality, American made private label knife at reasonable cost a pipe dream? As an avid cook myself, I know the value of decent knives in food preparation. I have a set of Global knives, which are nice but, I was a little more sucked in by brand name and marketing than I should have been. They are nice but, not THAT nice, I know a great quality steel can be had by the average cooking enthusiast for a lot more reasonable price. So, any suggestions? Advice? Use existing design or start from scratch?

Ontario? Russell Green River? Buck? Utica?
Unfortunately, Schrade USA and it's associated brands, all of whom made knives for others, is long gone.

Back