Problem with BK11 sheat or not ?

Hi! Recently I have some problems with sheat of mine BK11 - all of my knives are razor sharp /so BK 11 is with stroping finish/ but sometimes when the blade move into the sheat or when I put in/out it came a little duller. I think the problem is in the steat material, allthought it's perfekt size for eds on my belt may be i must make custom kydex or leder one becouse the knife it self is so usefull ...

Any sugestions???

Hey Stefan....

I have not noticed this as a problem.....I will do a little experimenting with a factory fresh BK11 NECKER and see if I can detect a prob.........Hopefully, others will share any similar problems.....I will have to confirm with Tooge, but I am fairly certain the sheath material is Kydex......I know, I am supposed to know, but at my age all but real important right now and totally unimportant stuff seems to be somewhere else....

Thanks for the post....

All Best....
ethan

Hey Stefan....

I just did a quick test....3 sets of 10 insertions and slicing paper in between sets and I really could not tell any difference.....Looking at the way the knife edge is held in the joint between the two halves there should be very little contact between the blade edge and the sheath....

All Best......

ethan

My view point is - allthougth i sharp my knives free hand on DMT stones + stroping to razor sharpness /so there is possibility of my mistakes in sharpening proces / BK11 is the one witch I put into the sheat in this condition and after several put in/out I can see some flicker...

P.S. The knife it slelf is great and I'll make some custom G-10 or micarta scales for it... :)...
:)

Hey Stefan.....

Are you shaving with your NECKER ?.....LOL....Thanks for the kind words...

All Best...

ethan

Not too long ago, I posted with the same complaint. My BK11 gets dull when inserted/ withdrawn from the sheath. The knife can get and hold an incredible edge, when not carried in the original sheath.

I love the knife, but I'm gonna hafta have a sheath made for it, which will cost me more than the knife.

I know of this problem ;)
The same thig happedned to my CS Master Hunter (kydex) - the sheath dulled the knife pretty badly - i fixed the problem with a leather sheath :D

I've been keeping mine in an old POS leather sheath. I miss carrying the knife, because the sheath will not fit on my belt.

rayban, by the looks of your website, your work looks impressive.
May be too expensive for me.

Did you get my reply to your message? I'm not sure if that worked or not.....feel free to email me at: rickg48@bex.net
I plan on ordering the Becker Necker as soon as I finish Christmas shopping on Wed.......and I'll be making some leather for it as soon as I get it.
R

Did you get my reply to your message? I'm not sure if that worked or not.....feel free to email me at: rickg48@bex.net
I plan on ordering the Becker Necker as soon as I finish Christmas shopping on Wed.......and I'll be making some leather for it as soon as I get it.
R

I did not get your reply, apparently it did not go through for some reason.
I'll shoot you an email.

I've noticed this same problem. I was really confused at first, because I care for all my knives the same way, and only the Becker Necker was having problems with edge retention when not in use. I'm having a friend build me a pocket sheath and hopefully that will solve the problem.

For the record, I love my Necker, and I gave my two closest friends Neckers for Christmas.

I actually have this same problem with my BK-2. I put a shaving sharp convex edge on it (2000grit sand paper then a .03micron chrom oxide loaded strop) and if I pull it out of the sheath wrong, the edge gets slightly nicked and I can see the flicker when put to a light...

I don't know about the necker, but for my BK2, the issue is easily remedied by pulling it out in a manner that places pressure on the spine instead of the blade :)

I actually have this same problem with my BK-2. I put a shaving sharp convex edge on it (2000grit sand paper then a .03micron chrom oxide loaded strop) and if I pull it out of the sheath wrong, the edge gets slightly nicked and I can see the flicker when put to a light...

I don't know about the necker, but for my BK2, the issue is easily remedied by pulling it out in a manner that places pressure on the spine instead of the blade :)

Yep - same result with mine, but it's my hard use EDC, so I use it a lot and can't watch out every time whne i deploy for some cuting tasks ...
May be I am a perfectionist, but usefull knife like this deserve to be in exelent condition all the time... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

016398523.jpg

Yep - same result with mine, but it's my hard use EDC, so I use it a lot and can't watch out every time whne i deploy for some cuting tasks ...
May be I am a perfectionist, but usefull knife like this deserve to be in exelent condition all the time... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yep! I'm a bit OCD as well when it comes to keeping a knife shaving sharp - even my hard use knives (BK-2 and HI 18" 2.3lb Vojpure) . However, I've just gotten into a habit of using a spine-first draw with all my knives... after doing it awhile, it just becomes second nature. Sure, it would be nice if the sheath didn't do it with a straight pull, but I'm certainly not complaining! I already feel like I got my money's worth out of this BK-2 and then some. Besides, a small ding like that doesn't really impact functionality and only us edge refinement perfectionists would truly notice :p

Oh and since you shared a pic, here's my BK-2 with the relatively steep convex I put on it :thumbup::
P1010874.jpg

Last edited:
Yep! I'm a bit OCD as well when it comes to keeping a knife shaving sharp - even my hard use knives (BK-2 and HI 18" 2.3lb Vojpure) . However, I've just gotten into a habit of using a spine-first draw with all my knives... after doing it awhile, it just becomes second nature. Sure, it would be nice if the sheath didn't do it with a straight pull, but I'm certainly not complaining! I already feel like I got my money's worth out of this BK-2 and then some. Besides, a small ding like that doesn't really impact functionality and only us edge refinement perfectionists would truly notice :p

Oh and since you shared a pic, here's my BK-2 with the relatively steep convex I put on it :thumbup::
P1010874.jpg

That BK-2 looks like it's had some lovin,' killa... just the way I like 'em.

That BK-2 looks like it's had some lovin,' killa... just the way I like 'em.

Oh - I definitely didn't purchase it to make it into a safe queen :)
I just love how versatile the knife design is - I can do everything with it from batoning decently-sized firewood to carving utensils:

P1000838.jpg

Back