problems loading a sanding belt with CrO

I've got a 1x30 craftsman belt sander, and one of my belts is a leather honing belt, meant to be loaded with compound.

I've tried just running it up to speed and then gently applying the stick of CrO to the belt like a crayon, but it doesn't load well at the sides. Tried applying it to the belt backed by the platen, or on the slack portion, but no dice.

The middle third of the belt loads up well enough, but the outside edges have the compound flake off. I'm applying the compound to the smooth (outside the animal side) of the leather.

My only assumption would be that since the two guide wheels on my sander are not flat but have a curve, they stretch the leather more in the middle of the belt than on the edges. The drive wheel is flat.

Any advice for getting the compound to stick as well on there as on my strop?

That happens on my Harbor Freight 1x30 as well. The way I see it, given the outward arch of the center of the belt while stropping it's not as important to have the edges loaded with compound since the center of the belt makes most contact. In other words, if you're pressing your knife into the arched belt hard enough to be hitting the edges of the belt, maybe you're using too much pressure for the application!

I have a harbor freight 1X30. I take the belt and lay it flat and drizzle dish soap along it. Rub it in and let dry for a few minutes. Load the belt onto the sander and then apply your compound.

The belt will naturally have more "grip" in the middle, as that is where the top roller is curved, so you'll need to work your blade towards the side-middle-side when starting and then finishing your honing. Make sense?

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot today when I get around to playing with my knives.

Back