Production Recluse review

kyhunt

Basic Member
Well I've had the Recluse now for about 6 weeks or so. I said I wanted to give it a review after I took it to the WLC class and Camp IN. Let me start by saying that I took several knives (9 exactly) but apart for a few hours on Thursday night nothing was used except for the Recluse. The only reason I had switched in the first placed is because the Recluse and myself had been in the rain all day so I thought I would try a stainless knife that night for a few hours but quickly went back to the Recluse by morning.

As you read this review keep in mind that I'm neither an expert on knives or bushcrafting. Really just learning. So this review is by just an average outdoorsman that loves good knives.

I will back this review up all the way to the beginning.

Looks and fit are stunning.

Light carving making a spoon. Why make a spoon? I have no idea but it worked fine.

Ok, that was it up until the WLC class besides some light kitchen work that it also excelled at being a great slicer.

Now onto the class and the Camp in in the U.P.

Here the knife is being used to make my first figure 4 trap. The Recluse easily cut the wood to be used for the trap. The fine point was very handy in cleaning up the notches.

Here we are making a fireboard and drill for a bow and drill. The Recluse handled the chore of drilling the intial hole in the fire board with no problem.Never could get a fire going with the bow and drill though.

While I didnt get pictures of the following I would still like to comment on a few things. The recluse handled batoning like a champ on more than one ocassion on the trip. First it was used to baton the wood seen in the figure 4 trap. Secondly it was used to baton pieces off a 6 inch diameter piece of fire wood to make kindling for a fire one night.

The squared off spine makes an excellent striker for a firesteel. Why use the spine instead of a dedicated striker that I had in my pocket? Because the instructor said so.

The knife handled all camp kitchen work for the week.

After all this is said lets not overlook the wonderful handle. No matter what I was doing with this knife I never found it uncomfortable or slick. Many folks say that wood is to slick in wet conditions. Well I'm here to say its not. My recluse is wearing Ironwood scales. It rained lightly most of Tuesday and poured all day Thursday and never once did I have a problem with grip on this knife.

And last after all of this and just a couple of passes on a strop it still could slice thin slices of apples. Why? Because I love a thinly sliced apple.

I have several knives that feel lonely lately. If your considering a Recluse get one. If your not considering a Recluse then reconsider.

Man, nice review! I'm glad to hear folks are liking the knife! Its good to hear that my designs are getting used, and working hard for folks!

I did this one last week. Ships to the customer today. Came out nice!!!

sept10100_2940-vi.jpg

sept10100_2941-vi.jpg

Nice review, I am so looking forward to trying out a Recluse, every time i see that one Guyon got it makes me want one even more.

Hi all,

What is the width of the production Recluse at the ricasso, or wherever it is widest? I'm wondering if it would fit in a BRKT bushcraft B or A sheath?

Thanks for the review and pics. I'm very interested!

Glen

Hi all,

What is the width of the production Recluse at the ricasso, or wherever it is widest? I'm wondering if it would fit in a BRKT bushcraft B or A sheath?

Thanks for the review and pics. I'm very interested!

Glen

My production Recluse is 1.0505" wide at ricasso. The one I made myself is 1.0365" wide at the ricasso.

Well I just used the Recluse last night to clean a bunch of Bluegill. No pictures , but it worked like a charm. I short a few scalers as the kids wanted to help out so I used the spine to scale them and then cut the heads off and gutted them. Recluse is a champ.

Yes it will fit in a Sharp shooter Busu craft "A" sheath. I just tried it in my Aurora sheath and it fits fine. But dont overlook the sheath it comes with. Its a good sheath.

I wouldn't mind buying a recluse form KSF but all they have are micarta. Nice looking knife though.

Thanks for the specs, Andy. SWEET KNIFE :thumbup:

BBQ Boy -- I just checked KSF and see 103 production Recluses in stock with all kinds of hardwoods, stabilized burls, and synthetics.

Glen

BBQ Boy -- I just checked KSF and see 103 production Recluses in stock with all kinds of hardwoods, stabilized burls, and synthetics.

Kyhunt -- thanks for the sheath info. The standard forest sheath looks nice but it's a bit bulkier than the BR bushcraft sheath, no? The bushcraft is also a little slimmer, I think, and fits perfectly in a sleeve in my daybag.

Glen

Oops -- sorry for the double post!

Last edited:

Glen
Ill have to go check that out. Thanks.
Actually I just took a look and I mis-spoke. What I meant was that they are typical looking of a Bark River. More ordinary. They only way you would know it was a Fiddleback is because of the bullseye lanyard hole. I do however think it is great that Fiddleback went in that direction so others can have a Fiddleback instead of waiting for a custom. For me I am going to wait for a custom because I love the spalted blades and cool handles. The handle choices on KSF are too Bark Riveresque as I already said.
One question though. How can it be a Fiddleback Forge knife if Bark River is making them using their steel and grind?

Last edited:
Because its a Fiddleback design. Another company making knives for someone else is not new. Plain looking knives???? Dont let my Recluse hear that. She thinks she is a looker.:D

I would love a Recluse from Andy direct, too, but my understanding is that he isn't taking orders anymore unless you've purchased five or more knives from him in the past. I have an early small Nessie of his, and that I got second-hand. So without the production I'm SOL.

That said, the BRKT-made Recluse looks like a decent production version. The handles do appear a little less rounded and contoured than Andy's but it also appears more hand-filling than anything BRKT makes in the 4" range. In any case it's still a "Fiddleback Forge" because the design is Andy's and it is built to his general specs and standards, and I'm sure he wouldn't put his name on it otherwise. Spyderco's Moran uses VG10, kraton for the handle, and kydex for the sheath -- none of which the master himself used. But it's his design and inspiration, and it allows many more users to get to know his work and experience one of his designs than would otherwise be the case strictly with custom work. Some collaborations are horrible -- e.g., so many corners cut in materials and execution -- and clearly are just about money for the maker. But the production Recluse is on the high, high end of collaborations, IMHO -- quality through and through from materials to execution -- between a custom maker and a small production house with hands-on grinding and the like, and all done in the USA. Can't say that of very many things these days. I doubt Andy or BRKT are making much profit -- if any! -- off of this pairing, but it does give folks like me an opportunity to handle something I wouldn't be able to get otherwise. So I plan to pick one up as soon as I can get the money together. :thumbup:

I would love a Recluse from Andy direct, too, but my understanding is that he isn't taking orders anymore unless you've purchased five or more knives from him in the past. I have an early small Nessie of his, and that I got second-hand. So without the production I'm SOL.
Are you serious? Why isn't he taking orders anymore? I thought he was a full-time knife maker anymore. How can you be a full-time knife maker if A.) your mass amount of knives are made by someone else and B.) there are only a few people out there that have bought 5 or more knives from him. Eventually at that rate you will have no work.
Andy can you clarify?

I wouldn't mind buying a recluse form KSF but all they have are micarta. Nice looking knife though.

Micarta will be around when we are gone and the blade has rusted to dust. IMO, it has its use. Plus, when used as a thick liner and bolster, it protects the wood really well.

Ill have to go check that out. Thanks.
Actually I just took a look and I mis-spoke. What I meant was that they are typical looking of a Bark River. More ordinary. They only way you would know it was a Fiddleback is because of the bullseye lanyard hole. I do however think it is great that Fiddleback went in that direction so others can have a Fiddleback instead of waiting for a custom. For me I am going to wait for a custom because I love the spalted blades and cool handles. The handle choices on KSF are too Bark Riveresque as I already said.
One question though. How can it be a Fiddleback Forge knife if Bark River is making them using their steel and grind?

Well, I chose Bark River because they can do a convex grind. In fact, they are in a very small club there. Jerry Busse isn't about to take on Fiddleback Forge designs. LOL.

That said, the BRKT-made Recluse looks like a decent production version. The handles do appear a little less rounded and contoured than Andy's but it also appears more hand-filling than anything BRKT makes in the 4" range. In any case it's still a "Fiddleback Forge" because the design is Andy's and it is built to his general specs and standards, and I'm sure he wouldn't put his name on it otherwise. Spyderco's Moran uses VG10, kraton for the handle, and kydex for the sheath -- none of which the master himself used. But it's his design and inspiration, and it allows many more users to get to know his work and experience one of his designs than would otherwise be the case strictly with custom work. Some collaborations are horrible -- e.g., so many corners cut in materials and execution -- and clearly are just about money for the maker. But the production Recluse is on the high, high end of collaborations, IMHO -- quality through and through from materials to execution -- between a custom maker and a small production house with hands-on grinding and the like, and all done in the USA. Can't say that of very many things these days. I doubt Andy or BRKT are making much profit -- if any! -- off of this pairing, but it does give folks like me an opportunity to handle something I wouldn't be able to get otherwise. So I plan to pick one up as soon as I can get the money together. :thumbup:

Are you serious? Why isn't he taking orders anymore? I thought he was a full-time knife maker anymore. How can you be a full-time knife maker if A.) your mass amount of knives are made by someone else and B.) there are only a few people out there that have bought 5 or more knives from him. Eventually at that rate you will have no work.
Andy can you clarify?

Guys, orders are killing my business. Either I get a job engineering again and go back to part time, or stop taking orders. Its black and white like that. I filled 25 orders in August, the knives sat for weeks. Few took the orders. Two customers got angry with me for one reason or another. I also know that folks can't eat knives, and things happen. It just makes more sense for me to sell as I make, to folks that are ready with their funds.

How does a full time knifemaker not take orders? The how is easy, its a why question. He stops taking orders because he wants to stay full time.

I make a LOT of knives. I've made almost 600 to date. I sell them here at the forum first to encourage participation here. If you watch this forum, you'll see WIP's and finished batches posted. Buy available knives at any time after that by contacting me. If they don't sell here in a few days, then I put them up in the Makers for Sale area. I never discount a price. I sell it at the list price. I also provide knives to Knives Ship Free, and Lee's Cutlery. There are lots of opportunity to own Fiddleback Knives.

The reason to own a production recluse made at BRKT, besides the grind (BRKT does a great convex) or the spalted steel, is the design itself. The Recluse is the onlly Fiddleback knife that I own. I've been using it for longer than any so far. Its a handy little design. I have a production one, and BRKT got very close with their handle. I plan to visit the facility as soon as humanly possible and learn how they do their handles.

Thanks Andy. That clarifies some things.I was under the impression you were not making knives but now I know you are making knives in batches. I totally understand the cost of running a business.I own 2 different restaurants. I recently raised my prices for the first time in 5 years. Customers got pretty ticked at me. They do not seem to understand that the food industry has been hit hard by this depression. Food cost has increased 30&... that's 30%!!! in the past 2.5 years, minimum wage has jumped $2 more per hours and utilities rates have increased along with taxes and insurance. I no longer can absorb all the extra cost. If they expect us to be in business for another 70 years then they can not expect us to still have 1995 prices.
Owning a business is rewarding but will give you a heart attack at the same time. Or maybe at least be put on prozac.
Keep plugging along. You seem to be valued in the knife community and appreciated among your fan.

One other thing about orders. An order immediately satisfies a demand. Totaly quelled. Bad mojo for me.

Jerry Busse doesn't do it. Why is that?

One other thing about orders. An order immediately satisfies a demand. Totaly quelled. Bad mojo for me.

Jerry Busse doesn't do it. Why is that?

man, i was really digging your stuff until you said that. You've got a couple of hit designs. Why don't you just run full production on those and figure out how to do it faster while keeping quality up? busse doesn't advertise 25 different knife models (fyi for someone studying the busse business model)

Back