Professional and enthusiast opinions requested.

I am active duty, and I recently purchased the CRKT M21 spear style folder for about $20. I did a little research and decided that the AUS-6 would be good enough for day to day jobs. I cut everything from 550 cord to rubber hoses to insulated wire cables. Will this knife be reliable mechanically, and will it hold its edge fairly well for moderate daily use? Also, if anyone has any suggestions on good field knives (folders or fixed) with the blade not exceeding 6 or 7", I would certainly appreciate it. After all, the knife can be one of the most important tools in the field apart from my rifle, 550 chord, and duct tape. Your advice and opnions are appreciated.

Unless you attempt some super human feats of knifely miracles, aus6 ought to be fine. Just dont go trying to prove to other soldiers that it really can pierce a car hood. The Cold Steel Recon Tanto is excellent. Durable enough to chop wood, tough enough to stay sharp for the small tasks. 7 inch blade. Handle feels really comfortable. If you want to step up to a better folder for cheap, go for a Benchmade or a Cold Steel Voyager. Like you said, knives can just as important as your rifle in the field. If I were you I would have spent a little more and got aus8, carbon v, or 440c for about $40-$60. But for now I'm sure aus6 will meet any challenge you bring to the table. The "heat treat" on a blade is just as important as the steel used anyway.

It's a good knife at a great price, I think. For fixed blade, Becker BK7 and BK10 would fit into same category. Swamp Rat Bandicoot and Howling Rat would be a step up.

I bought the small one, and was really disappointed with the dull blade and didn't like the feel of it. Got the big dog version, and love it. It's a great knife. But AUS6? Both of mine are AUS8. Did they knock down the steel already?

For I fixed blade I would go with either a Becker, a Swamp Rat or a Busse.
Beckers are really tough for a rather moderate price.
I like the M-21 series, but I've read about some folks having problems with the locks.

Perhaps I totally overestimate the type of stress you are likely to put on your blade. If all you are looking to do is cut tube, cord & cable, AUS6 or any of the other decent stainless steels ought to be sufficient. There are plenty of suitable SS fixed blade designs in the 5" - 6" blade range too.

But in the event you ever need to really stress your knife in the field, such as prying a window open or say, cutting a hole in a wall to shoot through, you want something that will not fail. To me, that means carbon steel. Heck, a tomahawk or hatchet might be worth looking into.

As for knives in the 5" - 6" blade range, Franciscomv just made some good suggestions... I would also include the Cold Steel SRK (6" blade) and Master Hunter (4.5" blade) in that list. Ranger knives has some likely candidates as well...

Good luck to you and come home safely Bro!!!

I would say Swamp Rat with Res C handles would be easiest on the hands for a knife that sees alot of use, and they are super tough. A Howling Rat would be about perfect. I have a friend with a M1804 CRKT, and he uses it to cut thick Nylon cords daily. it seems to be pretty good and holds a decent edge. It locks up solid with no play in the blade. I am unsure how the M21 compares, as it is a bit cheaper.

You didn't mention what your $pending range was, but you could do a lot worse than a fixed blade from Chris Reeve. The Shadow IV maybe?

When I hit the field, I generally like to take multiple knives. A small cutter, a larger knife for cutting, prying and combat, and now I'm looking into getting a good hatchet down the line for the heavier chopping and cutting. Also, I was mistaken on the knife- it's an M16-03Z, which is the M16 AUS 6M little brother of the M21 Spear AUS 8. The larger blade is definitely going to be fixed, and I would prefer a nice pommel for combat and other pounding uses.

Also, thank you for your suggestions so far!

since you mention chopping and prying tasks, I thought that this might be of interest:
ratweiler.jpg

the Ratweiler can chop about as good as a hatchet, and you cant hurt it by prying. I dont have one, but I do have the Battle Rat, and it is insanely tough. The Camp tramp is similar, but with Res C handles. check out the Swamp Rats here:
swamp rat

After reviewing my options for a folder, I decided to cancel the order for the M16 and pick up the M21 instead. About $10 more, but I'm hearing better things about the AUS 8 as opposed to the AUS 6. Good trade? Also, for the fixed blade, I'vbe deciced to go with the Swamp Rat line, and have yet to decide on the model. Probably the Bandicoot... but I'll have to see. Once again, thank you for the advice!

With the amount of gear you guys carry into the field, is the axe an option? I'm sure the guys in the Axe and Tomahawk forum in General Discussion can help you out with a good model. That Swamp Rat should serve you well, I'm still waiting on my Bog Dog to become available. Eric!

Back