Professional help?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jim_Archibald, Aug 19, 2019.

How many knife addicts are out there? Are you addicted?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Needs Knife Now!

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. Jim_Archibald

Jim_Archibald

Jul 14, 2019
    Hi guys, I've been into knives ever since I learned to use them to eat with, so let's just say that's a very long time. I own over a hundred blades or so, and recently purchased a relatively ambiguous knife made by Case, called a Mid-Folding Hunter with "Kicksart" assisted action. I opted for the Black Micarta version. Now, I have a good cross section of knives, including both assisted and automatic actions.
    So anyway, here's my problem...I...can't seem to put it down. If I get undressed at night, I'll go to work on my computer and it will call to me. I've actually pulled it out, just to flick it. Has it finally happened? Am I losing it completely or do other people occasionally get this disorder? Should I next proceed to the local emergency room, or is there a special place for "Knife Anxiety Disorder"??? Please, your all educated in knifology, can you give a Brother a little guidance here? (flicks knife again)
    This is not a disabling disease luckily, as I can flick with on hand(flicks knife again) while typing with the other. I've learned to abstain while getting the mail. Postal workers look at you funny if you flick a knife(flicks knife again)in front of them. Also in stores and etc. and so far I've managed. Please advise, should I go to knife rehab?

2. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    this is knife rehab - or rather, support group

Sharp & Fiery and Dallas T like this.
  3. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    Don't expect any help whatsoever coming to this place.
    The members here are just a miserable bunch of enablers, all of them.

4. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Yes, you should buy it. Er, I mean, no, we're not enablers . . . ;)

Dallas T likes this.
  5. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    no. dont have what you're describing, which I'm calling an ocd/opening and closing disorder.

have no interest in flicking open and closing knives, unless I use them. now carrying a knife I have that sickness. dont like to not have one. even to the point I dont travel to certain places unless I have to.

sometimes I carry more than one. depending on where I'm going and what I'll be doing. sometimes dont even need any of them but I still have them. so I have that disorder.

ScooterG likes this.
  6. K.O.D.

K.O.D. On a moving walkway to hell Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I'm not a psychiatrist, nor do I play one on TV...

I wake up sometimes in the night, flip/flick one of my knives open, close it, go back to sleep.

I'm waiting on the day science advanced to where I can have retractable claws installed where my fingernails are.

7. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I won't admit to being a knife addict. Nope.... For me, it often is about boredom and since I like knives, they satisfy the urge to get something interesting. I don't play flicking knives..... Oh, I did that the first time I got a AO and flipper, but it wears off. It will wear off with you too @Jim_Archibald . You need to look for a deeper reason for considering yourself a knife addict.

In my case, I feel the urge to get something that interests me and knives interest me. Shopping at Walmart doesn't fill the need.

Jim_Archibald likes this.
  8. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I like knives a lot. I’ve carried one every day everywhere since I was 6.

I don’t have a need to fondle flick or spin knives. I also don’t bounce my leg when I sit down. Or other nervous ticks.

If you can’t sit still without fidgeting you need to relax cut out the caffeine and calm down.

I knife is not a fidget spinner.

9. number9

number9 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2017
    We didn't have fidget spinners when I was a kid. We had to play with our switchblades.

10. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I could answer this if I could just put down this ZT and Hinderer I keep opening and closing!
    I swear I'm just breaking them in.

22-rimfire and Jim_Archibald like this.
  11. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    There is no cure, except possibly to send your entire knife collection to another sicko, which you will be able to find on this forum:D.

Jim_Archibald and Dallas T like this.
  12. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Your on and a member of a website that is only about knives!!! That in itself to most people is a little weird lol! Not to me of course as i pay annually to be a gold member of said knife site! Lol. So yeah we’re only gonna be bad advice, I think u should buy another knife while we’re talking over all our knife problem.

13. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I have found that the best way to get over a knife is to get another one...

Dallas T likes this.
  14. User27

User27

Apr 23, 2017
    you are 'mirin the beauty of the knife you got , OP.If someone gave me a small bag full of pretty rocks I would probly do the same, enjoy your knife.:)

15. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    You are lucky that the knife is assisted.
    I am currently in honeymoon with a slip joint.
    So I cannot type, while I play with the knife in my office.
    This is a problem.

Jim_Archibald likes this.
  16. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Nah . . .
    I can quit any time I like.
    In fact I have quit. I bought all the knives I could possibly want this year.
    Then I bought a CRK 21 Macassar to top it off !
    Done !
    Well there was that Case Trapper in White Sparxx (but I had to get the one with the black shield to go with the one I have with the red shield. That goes without saying right ? Just makes sense to have both).

And the Cold Steel Counter Point One. That was missing from my collection but is in pocket and carried today so that's all taken care of now.

No not going to buy any more knives; my Sebenza was the last one.

PS : I voted "Yes". I didn't want the one or two of you that are . . . actually . . . addicted to feel all alone.

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Don't have an addictive personality.
    I buy and own more knives than I need having just bought a new one today but I can go months without buying a new one if nothing appeals to me at the moment, and I don't sell knives to afford new ones.

some times I pull my slipjoint out of my pocket and fondle it but don't fidget with it, much rather roll a hotwheels across a table like a 6 year old :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Oh sure. Here you go; I look forward to you joining the group !
    LINK TO HELP THIS WAY > > > >

19. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Knife fidgeting is preferable to steel balls ala Captain Queeg. Enjoy the toy. Life is short. Butterflies and OTF auto’s are also therapeutic.

20. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    I can stop any time I want

DocJD likes this.