Professional knives

Question,

It’s very difficult to compare the science behind professional knives. Victorinox doesn’t outright supply steel composition or Rockwell specs.

I have my own PERSONAL preference of knife I use on a daily basis BUT am looking for the scientific specs that would back up my personal preference of knife that a professional butcher would or should use.

Of the below how would the community rank knives for someone that uses a knife 8 hours a day cutting hundreds of pounds of meat on a poly top cutting board.
And does anyone know the steel competition of the below along with Rockwell specs.

A) Victorinox (forschner)
B) Fdick
C) dexter Russell
D) messermeister
E) Trentino cutlery

Question,

It’s very difficult to compare the science behind professional knives. Victorinox doesn’t outright supply steel composition or Rockwell specs.

I have my own PERSONAL preference of knife I use on a daily basis BUT am looking for the scientific specs that would back up my personal preference of knife that a professional butcher would or should use.

Of the below how would the community rank knives for someone that uses a knife 8 hours a day cutting hundreds of pounds of meat on a poly top cutting board.
And does anyone know the steel competition of the below along with Rockwell specs.

A) Victorinox (forschner)
B) Fdick
C) dexter Russell
D) messermeister
E) Trentino cutlery
Companies are tight lipped about their Steels, and the actual RC, etc, out of your list, From personal use and sharpening etc I would say Messermeister would hold its edge the best, Fdick in second with, Forchner and the US & Japanese made Dexter Russell about neck to neck depending on whom you ask. I’ve never used or sharpened Trentino , so no comment there. ————Those plastic cutting boards destroy edges quickly, so as little contact there as possible helps no matter what brand you have. Also most all of those Companies have more than one line of knives.. Also butchering knives are generally on the lower RC side so a Butcher can give them a few licks on a stone or with a steel and keep working..

Also butchering knives are generally on the lower RC side so a Butcher can give them a few licks on a stone or with a steel and keep working..

Agree with everything Rhino said. Just quoting to emphasize.

The fact Vics steel easy is why they rule the meat cutting world. There are better steels but you need to hit a stone and you don't have time to take a bloody knife, sanitize it, hit the stone, clean it, and get back to work. As opposed to a Vic with a few honing rod swipes.

I would take an oval or better yet flat F Dick steel over any other.

F. Dick prints this information in their catalog, this is page 11 of their 2019 catalog,

AmXMfs5.png

Thanks guys for the info. Researched a little more but still hard to decide whose knives will hold up better on those poly tops.
Guess if you had a knife service to sharpen knives every week or two you could use a harder knife and let them worry about grinding them down.
Surprised that no one has come up with a better polymer surface that isn’t as harsh on a edge.

Back