professional sharpener... ya right

alright... i have an ancient delica that i took to have professionally sharpened... ya right! this guy ground the crap out of the knife. he missed so many times that he almost completely removed the hollow grind. theres power grind marks up along where the hole is.. he ground down into the tang.... basically reshaped the knife. its the most awful thing ive ever seen in my life. two different angles on each side too.... this stinks

Er, sorry to say this, but aren't KnifeKnuts mostly pro's? I know for a FACT I would not trust one of my blades with another person, unless it was someone who was HIGHLY regarded here.

A friend of mine bought a Kitchen Devils sharpener. It is basicly a modual like the base of the 203 with two wheels inside a cut in the base. You pust a blade into it and the two wheels sharpen a knife...

I took one look at that after he spent a good hour boasting how good he was at sharpening
rolleyes.gif
and proceeded to slice a free hanging piece of magazine paper into a perfect hole with two slices. Hardly any pressure used
wink.gif

Conversation over
biggrin.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

i cant sharpen serrateds worth a darned - i take mine to an old man at the gunshow (rarely, as i really dont cut much w/them) and he does them for $4 ea - has always done a good job, and it comes out fine - i guess not all are as competent

sifu

When he found out I was a knife-knut a guy I work with was boasting to me about the professional sharpening service he uses for his kitchen knives. One night he had me over for dinner and I asked to see them. Basically it was a shoddy grind job as you describe. The knives had so much steel removed from them that the edge was much farther up than they were meant to be. Not only that but they were ground from edge to spine. It was as if the 'sharpening service' had tried to put a flat grind on all of them but it certainly didn't work out. They were nasty! It's amazing that people like that can stay in business.

------------------
Karma is only justice without the satisfaction

Don't forget, you can send your Spydies back to the company and they'll sharpen them for free. You get a masterful sharpening job all for the mere cost of postage (and the price of having to live without your blade for a couple weeks or so).

Just to clarify I used MY Spyderco Military to do the cut. NOT his 'butter' knife.

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

SIFU1A-

Is that the guy that habits the SF Bay Area Shows?

I'm guessing that you like Sifu's so you must be a Kali or Texan.

Seth

Back