Progress Report

At long last progress is being made in the shop renovation. I pulled two electrical feed lines the length of the shop to the new knifemaking area.
One a 600V and a 120/220V line so I will have a complete range of voltages ready to hook the machines up to.

All that is necessary is to hook them in at the feed end and run plugs and such from the two three phase breakers that I have installed in the new area.
This will allow me to start moving equipment and painting the wall and floor bright white to reflect as much light as possible.

Probably get the paint and hook ups done on Monday.

Things are looking up.

George

Well Monday was not too productive, got in late, customer showed up, off schedule by then so only a little time left.

I painted the wall I wanted to get done but no time was left over to finish the wiring, maybe tomorrow there will be an hour or so to finish the hookup of the new box and the panet hookups.

Next step is to move my white storage cabinet and paint the wall section behind it then start moving machinery.

This whole business could be over in a week or so unless unscheduled polishing contracts appear in the meantime. I am so looking forward to it.

George

Today I got the front end switch boxes wired, just have to hook up at the hot end tomorrow and I have power.

The part of the wall I painted yesterday looks good, might just work out.

George

I have power now, at least as far as the two breakers on the wall in the new work area.

The white cabinet is disconnected and ready to move as soon as I get the heavy stuff out of it.

George

No construction progress today but a customer finally picked up an order that was in my way so I was able to dress the wheel on the surface grinder with a diamond point and surface grind the tactical folder prototype.

Got a great transition line from the hollow grind to the flats thanks to the grinder. I am ready now to get into production with the folder line.

More construction this weekend should see the area complete and ready for machinery moving.

George

Spent the day today grinding knives to replenish stock but found a little time to start moving things out of the road so I can clear away the rest of the stuff in the road. Saturday will see the rest of the wall painted, the white cabinet moved and some electrical plugs installed.

George

Well today saw some observable progress.

There is a working plug 110V on the wall of the new work area, the wall has had it's first full coat of white paint thanks to a little help from Brian, the white cabinet is moved and the bench top that Frank rescued from the dumpster at work now has a metal base.

The new work area is beginning to look like something is happening in earnest.

No plans for tomorrow except for the final coat of white paint on the wall.

George

The wall has had it's second coat of paint as well as the white cabinet.

The white cabinet now is being used to store tooling for the milling machine.

Most of the moving around left is just to put things into their final locations.

The last construction type work is putting up new light fixtures, not sure when I will get around to that.

George

Well Friday is here, little progress to report unless you account installing and wiring 3 110V outlets an ordering more materials.

Materials should arrive tomorrow, Plywood, pegboard, lights and 2 X 4's, enough to finish the job.

Located the power source for the mill so I will disconnect it tomorrow and drag the mill to it's new position.

George

Sunday.

Got a few hours in the shop today, put scrap metal back into the white cabinet and made 4 brackets to mount the lights to the wall.

I also had time to test a wall anchor that I intend to use to hold the light brackets solidly, looks like it will work.

With luck the lights will be up by the end of the day tomorrow.

George

Monday

Got the lights hung and wired today. What a difference when you switch them on, only 4 8ft tubes but they really kick out the light.

Now I am getting eager to see what happens when the floor is painted white.

George

Wednesday

Started moving machinery today, the mill, and drill press.

Also took down the old lighting that was over the old polishing machine. The area is really taking shape now.

A little work to do on the wall of the enclosure is left and painting of the enclosure and the floor.

At this rate I will be working in the area full time by Tuesday.

George

Had time yesterday to replace three of the overhead lights with 75 W fluorescent bulbs, what an improvement.

The railway is replacing the road crossing behind our place and are tearing out the large 12 X 8 planks , not bad material for an anvil base. I just have to get out there and salvage a couple of pieces agout 24 " long to make up the base. Going to have to do it when the railway police are having a coffee break.

Well this weekend should see a great deal of progress being made.

George

The area is finished with the exception of a bit of paint and installation of pegboard to hold WIP and tools.

Went to an industrial close out sale on Saturday and picked up a box full of hangers for my pegboard wall for ten cents each. They had about a half dozen leather sewing machines as well but the budget wouldn't take another $200 for one of those.

George

May 21. Thanks to a lot of help from my friends the workbench is complete, the credenza is moved from the office to be used as a work table and storage for handle sanding and scroll saw.

The base of the credenza will store a lot of handle material and small tool bits.

The area in front of the lathe has been cleaned out ready for floor painting and another light.

Need to find some of the flat profile wiring for the floor to feed power to the workbench light and power bars. Any body know the technical term for it?

George

Back