Project in progress: Thin One Ten

muskrat man

BANNED
Me and my dad worked on this today. It's a project in progress, it will end up having a one hand opener attached, some custom scales, a drop point blade, and a pocket clip. We took nearly 1/4" off the thickness. Makes a big difference in weight, thickness, and how it feels in your hand. the donor knife is a 1995 110. My dad has a steadier hand on the belt sander so I let him do the thinning. I did all the re-beveling and finish work.
Enjoy
M_M

A comparison between a stock 110 and our thinned one.

L+R sides of the new thinned 110, the bolsters look all scratched up, but it is'nt in person

looks like "Twiggy" for you "older" guys.
What grit paper you use on the belt sander?
Thanks for sharing
BCCI # 975 for life

Nice Ratman,

keep the pics of your progress comming. What will it be dressed in when it's complete?

jb4570

:thumbup: ...Very nice M_M...I could see it in some nice black canvas micarta...Whatta great pocket edc that will make no matter what kinda scales end up sitting there...:thumbup: ...Looks like another knife "tinkerer" in our midst...LOL...

It looks like a retro of the old 60's 110. I'd leave the wood scales on. Just polish it up and call it good.

So, would I be correct is presuming that is about the thickness of a 500?
Inquiring Goose wants to know...

Thanks for all the comments guys. Never owned a 500 so I couldn't compare thickness, sorry. It will most likely be either A. stays the way you see it or B. gets some nice osage orange, or C. gets nice jigged bone in either black or red. Lets hear from fellow buckmen (women?).
I used a 50 grit belt, then filed all those scratches out then went from 220-320-400-600-0000 steel wool. I don't have a buffer but I do have a dremel with buffing wheels but it did not give me an acceptable finish, so i'll hold off until I can get a good buffer.

...I admire someone who works with what he has...All my "tinkerin' " is done in my den at the desk with popsickle sticks, wet/dry, compounds, a small hammer and anvil and lotsa patience since I lost all my tools...LOL...It's amazing what you can do by hand if ya take yer time. Nice work M_M...:) :thumbup:

Back