Properly made platen attachments

Would be interested in a radius platen and chiller if they were available again.

I'll say that I may be interested in a c-plate also, depending on design. I'm kind of particular about this area, as I often work with the corner of the belt around the side/back of the flat platen, and most designs obstruct this on one side.

Did I miss the price list???

There won't be a price list posted on ShopTalk, it's not allowed.

I'm actually just curious if there is enough interest in the C plates to justify a run. The chillers and platens are coming, I've been promising a run of those for over a year now and just waiting on an opening. I'll have a two week window opening in about a week and I plan to put them in there. I could run some C plates too if enough people want them. Mine was bent and Matt's was giving him problems too so I thought there might be a need?

I built my grinder, and my C is 1 degree off, its not bad.I can forward and rev with a little adjustment but I would like to fix it. Ill have to see what you come up with to see if I can use one. Thanks

I would be interested in something. Not sure what I need as starting out, just now got grinder built. Was gonna start trying to build my own Platen but I got a little more money than smarts, so put me in line. I might need more than one, maybe one with square sides and one with radius sides. Not sure about lengths. I have a GIB. But put me in line. Thanks

Mr. Kuntz, just a note that if you go to a glass overlay, it being a flat platen, you will correct that defect.
Frank

Yeah we're doing a run of radius platens and chillers. If there is interest we'll make some accurate flat platen attachment C plates too. So far I haven't seen enough interest in that, so if folks want it, they should say something on this thread. If there appears to be interest we'll put some in the run.

I would definitely be interested in a accurate flat platen attachment C plate.

After much BS I've finally figured out that this is my problem. I would setup my grinder with the tool rest to grind scandis at 12 degrees per side. The platen would be at 12 degrees. When I would grind the left bevel it would be at 12 degrees. But when I switched over to grind the right bevel it would be 11 or even 10 degrees. So I'd have to adjust the platen to the right angle for that side. The platen is at an angle with how it is mounted to the plate that's connected to the tool arm. I guess this is the "c" plate you're mentiong above.

I set the c plate down on a surface plate and the warp was obvious. There was warp from top to bottom for sure. I didn't check from front to back, but after getting Rob's response below I've been meaning to check it. From the way the platen sits, I really have no doubt that it's warped too. I'll be checking tonight to confirm.

I actually contacted Rob Frink at Beaumont and this was his response:

"The warp in the platen plate is expected. I've talked with the aluminum mills about this and there is a industry spec on the cross-grain warp from the extrusion process when the bar stock is produced. The amount of warp will vary from heat to heat from the mills but because the mills produce so much tonnage, the supply chain is typically filled with the same heat for a long time. This makes it difficult to get a different heat...and when we do, it is still hit and miss on the warpage. We can be assured that the warpage is with the specs but we cannot be sure to what degree. Consequently, we have been making these attachments like this for nearly 18 years.

We don't have a plate to send you that is perfectly flat. I'm sure it could be ground or milled flat, but we do not have machinery that can do it.

After looking at the photos, I understand that you feel the back plate is missaligned from front to back...but the side plate is warped from top to bottom. These are different geometric planes and I'm not sure how one could be affecting the other.....just thinking out loud while I type here.....

If you flip the side plate around and use it so that the warp is on the opposite side...does your grinding error also flip to the opposite side? I'm just trying to trouble shoot the components to see if we can isolate the root cause of your grinding error. I m not sure if I explained that very well...let me know."

Last edited:
Back