pros and cons BM vs ZTBM

I was wondering what you guys think the zero edge grind and the 3/16 stock do good and bad for the ZTBM performance?
I was reading on Ed's Bad Mojo site about the ZT series again, and noticed Jerry said they would weigh 30-35% less than the 1/4 stock, according to my calculations, that would put the ZTBM in the range of 13.5-15oz? My NO weighs in at 17oz and my PH at 14oz. A 15" OAL BM at ~15oz is pretty sweet, but what about strength?

And what about the zero edge vs the asymetrical edge?

I don't think blade strenth will be much of an issue. INFI is very flexible stuff (see the performance videos), so I really doubt you'll snap one. Also, Jerry improved the ZT's strength by utilizing a 2/3" height flat grind. The ZTBM should be quicker in the hand, but with not quite as much momentum as its 1/4" counterpart. It would probably make a better machete than the BM.

On the subject of edge geometry, the zero edge on the ZT is a bit finer than the CG, but also a bit less durable. It will still be extremely durable however. Again, this would make it a nice machete (if a little short :) ).

I agree with Andrew, you won't need to be concerned about the strength. INFI is incredible stuff.

The Assymetrical edge will be stronger especially if it will be used for chopping, however the zero edge will be a better slicer.

I believe the real value of the ZT is that it is limited, this is a big pro in my book. I've got a lot of users, this one to me is a collector.

If you want a user get the CG.

Eric,

I'm sorry to hear you say that the ZT was more of a safe queen than a user. I actually bought 2 ZT BM to have one safe queen and one lightweight big blade. The knife seems to feel really well balanced and until the 2nd BM I bought arrives along with some other Busse goodies I didn't want to use the first one until I saw the condition of the second one. The one I have right now just came back from Jerry touching up the edge because I didn't think it was quite as "sharp" as all the press. Now it is definitely hairpopping sharp :D

The "Busse Combat" logo is a little shadowy on this one so I figured it would make a great user.

Raindrop,
I've got a ZT SH that's a user.;) That's why my ZT BM is a safe queen :D:D

I don't doubt that the ZT BM would make a great user, I just wanted to keep a ZT set pristine. That's why I have 2 ZT SH's

Eric,

I really thought about the Steel Heart as a user but right now I only have the one ZT SH to go with a SH -SHII and the CG SH and the Nuclear Variant SH with the Straight Handle. Kind of medley of SHs once they all get here ;)

Raindrop,
I just like the SH size in general. It is the perfect size for many jobs and all that I usually need in a knife. However, I do have a BM that gets used when it is appropriate.:D:D

Although, I have to admit my most used Busse is currently my ZT SH.

To be completely honest, I just plain like knives and enjoy having as many choices as possible when going out. :D

Come on, I know there are more of you that have ZTBM as well as other CG or SH Mistresses. I'd really like to hear more about how they feel in comparison. Do they feel a lot different in the hand, or not that different. For taking camping is the lighter weight ZTBM all gain with know PRACTICAL performance loss? I seem to remember Cliff Stamp mentioning that when you go from 1/4 to 3/16 stock the strenth drops dramatically(Cliff had a formula for this I think, but I can't find the post where he refers to this) So I'd like to hear more observations from people who can pick 'em up and handle 'em.

Hey Raindrop,
I live in Ogden, Maybe the next CrossRoads of the West Gun show at SouthTown Center we can meet up in the parking lot and have a Busse show and tell :D

Hunter G.,

I'll be there in July. I actually have some friends that have tables at the show on a regular basis. Let me know and we can hook up. I only have a "few" Busse so far.

utmts4me,
I owned both at the same time for a while. I originally bought my ZT bm with a sheath for $280(a good deal)from a guy needing money to move to Alaska. My original intentions were to buy it as a investment and sell it later. I later traded it for a Sebenza and then sold the Sebenza for $235...should have keep the ZT.
The ZT floats in the hand. It was very light and weildable. The handles seemed to be thinner but was comfortable enough for me. I think the main differences as far as performance are going to be
-between the thickness of the ZT vs the CG
-the weight differences
-the edge geometry and height of the bevels
Concerning the blade stock thicknesses. While 1/4 stock would be much tougher for digging and prying, I feel that it is a bit over built(I say this having kept the 1/4 CG as my ownly lonely Busse) I feel the blade thickness is really insignificant if your sole intent is cutting and chopping. Lateral force isn't going to be a substantial threat to 3/16 INFI, especially with the 2/3 high grind. The false edge on the ZT is going to allow better penetration...although I don't stab very many people usually so this is a none issue:) I think for prying the CG is better because it has a much stronger tip. The ZT's false edge grinds weaken the tip strength for real bruising, but then again...who really needs something much stronger than the ZT tip anyway?
Like I said, the ZT is very controllable. I am not a "knife-fighter" and hope I stay clear of threats like that, but from what I understand, this would be an ideal "tool" for that. As far as chopping, a higher velocity could be reached therefore delivering more chopping force. Chopping Force= Mass of knife x Acceleration at impact point. Although I don't think this is really important to worry about. Either knife will chop better than most. Either knife will get the job done.
The CG has a much thicker edge geometry. The ZT would be great for slicing and various cutting chores. It would bite deep into green wood especially, which would be great for trimming the bushes etc. I think if slicing or cutting performance is an issue, a smaller ZT like the NO would be much better because it can be controlled better. The CG edge is much thicker and tends to chip and break wood out. It would be the ideal hard use blade...but I wouldn't complain too much if I had the ZT instead. Hope this helps...
Luke

Luke,
Thanks for the input. That is very helpful. I am intrigued by the fact that the ZTBM is a BM but should weigh close to or even less than my CG NO and if it will perform like a Mistress, why carry the extra weight?

Greg,
sounds like a plan. I skipped the last 2 gun shows 'cause I'd already spent all my fun money on Busse knives :D I only bought my first Busse in Jan of this year, and I'm a little shocked at how many I already have :eek: And as far as your "few" Busse blades, I've seen you mention some of yours in posts here, you clearly mean "few" in the Busse sense!;)

Back