Prospective Benchmade Folder Owner

Ive recently been exploring the world of higher end folders. Being a fixed blade fanatic, ive had a lot of learning to do in the world of folders, and after much research, I think im leaning towards a benchmade. I currently carry kershaw's assisted openers, and I really enjoy the speed of the flippers, and torsion bars. I really like benchmades axis lock, how you can flick it open with one hand, but out of the few benchmade autos ive handled, ive been very disappointed with how weak the auto mechanisms work.

Nice scales, and longer, stouter blades preffered. I am kind of stuck between the manual rift, and manual bedlam; thoughts? Manual, or Auto? All suggestions and input welcomed. thanks

Check out the 581 barrage. Its assist mech is super strong and it has m390 steel. Super buy if you ask me.

An auto brings up all kinds of legal complications, easily solved by buying something assisted, and if you want a manual version with the right adjustments can be just as fast to open. Between the two the Rift is a much better knife for EDC use than the Bedlam would be. And yes, if you like the Axis lock and don't mind assisted the 581 is a good choice; great steel, definitely stout, and very comfortable to use.

is the barrage's assisted mechanism only activated by opening it with the thumb stud?

If you pull back on the Axis lock and give the knife a little shake, the blade will pop put. The best thing about Benchmade's Axis-Assist is once that blade starts to move, the assist opens the knife the entire way, unlike Kershaw's Speedsafe, which only opens the knife part of the way and relies on inertia to keep it going. I'm not a big assisted-opener guy, but Benchmade's Axis-assist is the best in the biz, imo.

I was also looking at the benchmade 300 with the flipper. any experience with this one? I really like the scales, but the blades a little on the small sde.

ps. thanks for the replies, i will be checking out the barrage

jkarp brings up a good point on the potential legality issues of a true auto. If jurisdictions dont concern you, have at it. Many decent auto's in BM's line up. I have heard the complaint about their speed and force over the years. Remedied perhaps by after market springs, not that youd want to buy new with the expectation of having to upgrade off the bat.

As far as speed goes, the assisted and especially some of the manuals are flat out faster to deploy. The 940/943 are some of the fastest manuals hands down. As far as assisted, I prefer , for the most part, the Nitrous Assist. Torsion bar as opposed to coil springs. Smoother, less gritty, more reliable it seems in my opinion. The 890 Torrent is a great example. Nice scales, elegant lines, big practical blade shape. A liner lock however. Some would question its hard use.

I carry a 913 pretty much everyday. Torsion assisted, double bar, liner lock. Not the fanciest but have never second guessed its hard use capability. Disco'ed, but not impossible to find. I do prefer manuals mostly. The 910 in particular, however after selling my user and falling hard for the 913..this is where Im at personally.

As long as Im being long winded, the 710 is hard to beat for speed, blade size/shape, hard use, ease of carry manual. Would be a great introduction into the BM family. Couldnt see much disappointment with that. Readily available, moderately priced.

Last edited:
I hope this isn't thread-jacking, if so moderators please delete this comment. Now is the Auto-Axis mechanism really week? How can it be any weaker than the regular Axis lock? I have always heard that the Auto-Axis is one of the strongest automatic knife mechanisms out there, is this not ht case?

I hope this isn't thread-jacking, if so moderators please delete this comment. Now is the Auto-Axis mechanism really week? How can it be any weaker than the regular Axis lock? I have always heard that the Auto-Axis is one of the strongest automatic knife mechanisms out there, is this not ht case?

I could be wrong, but I think manuals are always more reliable in the big picture

If it was my comment that implied "weak mechanically" let me clarify. I meant weak in spring force only. I personally have the most confidence in the mechanics of the system. Sincerely beg pardon for any misinterpretation.

Hi Stonproject,

As jKarp_53 has mentioned, if you have credentials (LEO, Mil) then you can have auto in both Rift or Bedlum. If you like long blade, you might also like 810 Contego (although not in auto at this time). I personally like Osborne Reverse Tanto with wider belly.

Thanks,
MFL

If it was my comment that implied "weak mechanically" let me clarify. I meant weak in spring force only. I personally have the most confidence in the mechanics of the system. Sincerely beg pardon for any misinterpretation.

I was actually reffing to OP but looking at it now I think he meant the same thing as you.

So I guess my question is answer, carry on fellas.

I was also looking at the benchmade 300 with the flipper. any experience with this one? I really like the scales, but the blades a little on the small sde.

ps. thanks for the replies, i will be checking out the barrage

I have a couple of 300s. I should start by saying that I don't really like flippers/AOs/autos, so keep that in mind. The action on my 300s is nice, I have to admit. It's not as "free-moving" as Spyderco's Domino but I can open both of them with just a firm push on the flipper and maybe a little wrist action. They open and lock with just a very slight "hydraulic" feel instead of slamming open like the Domino does. The blades are right in my comfort zone for an EDC folder, though I've heard other folks say they think they're a bit short. I don't carry more than a 3 1/4" blade for everyday use, whether it's a folder or FB.

I have a BM 585 and a 586. Their AXIS/AO action is nice and firm. They're very dependable AO folders. I haven't had a 581, but the old 580 I had also worked very well.

If you don't have to have an AO or auto and you want to try out the AXIS lock, I'd recommend a Rift. If you want that same blade shape in a bigger knife, lots of folks like the Contego. A long but narrower blade with an AXIS lock would be the 710.

Back