Protecting your Ass.ets...

Mick,
How are you guys protecting your unique blade designs?
I am starting to see others ripping off Strider design elements.

This really pisses me off:mad:

I have watched your company grow over the past years and have somewhat of an idea of all of the Hard work, Blood sweat and tears that go into building a company. Not to mention the $.

It would be really easy for me as a Maker to just copy your designs (Which I think are fantastic) but It IS NOT RIGHT and I won't do it!

Time to sick the Lawyers on them?

I am a Strider admirer, enthusiast, fan, and client. I am all for individuals protecting their work. But its called a patent. Sometimes its worth it...sometimes its not. Kinda like the crap copycats that your refering to...not worth it. Anyone on top of their steel knows the difference. But my point here is ...
well let me tell you a short story...

Once upon a time a rabbit and a snake met up in the forest. They were both born blind at birth and could not see each other. The rabbit said to the snake "I was born blind at birth can you tell me what I am?" and so the snake slithered all over the rabbit and replied "Your soft and furry with a small nose and puffy tail, you must be rabbit. The blind snake said to the rabbit " Can you tell me what I am?" and so the rabbit felt all over the snake and said " Your slick, slimmy , spineless and sneaky, you must be a lawyer."

Dont draw down on people so quickly. Half of our problems in this country are because of lawyers. The other half are because of criminals. I.E., gun/knife laws punish law abidding citizens. Its people like you who sue at the drop of a hat. You must know some lawyer who's short of work or be one yourself. This is a Strider forum and not advertising for legal help. Go sue yourself for being ignorant.

Originally posted by quijanos
This is a Strider forum and not advertising for legal help. Go sue yourself for being ignorant.

WHOA quijanos. You are correct - this IS a Strider forum - but that's where your "correctness" ends - so it makes sense that members who post here are loyal to, or respect the work that Strider has done and are doing.

Strider and their consumers have every right to be pissed off if a no-name, rip-off company markets cheap POS knives that look exactly like the creation of someone who originally designed and marketed them.

Take it easy on who you are attacking, newbie - and this is definitely NOT the forum you want to start a flame war in.

(Edited to remove some of my harsher comments.)

No kidding, relax. I haven't met Robert in person but can tell you from e-mails he sounds like a good guy. Makes very nice looking blades also. I seriously doubt he's a lawyer or has a personal interest in a lawsuit.

I see the real problem when people copy the designs of the blades to a "t" then they try to market them as Striders. This is the worst form and despite the animocity towards lawyers, this is where they can help if you got the buckos. Tell me if you were out and about with your lady and some urban outdoorsman got a little fresh with her... well, at the end of the day, a lawyer might just be your best bud.

On the second line are people that clearly take a Strider design, copy the details and try to market it as their own. A little lower in the scum pond than the previous people.

Third, you have the folks that make their own designs, might be inspired by Striders, but they are essentially original. People will look at the paracord wrap or maybe blade geometry and will scream RIP OFF. These guys may be trying to rip off Strider's designs, or they might just have been inspired by their blades.

Big problem lies with the hardcore Strider fan and the third group. While I think the first two groups suck, the third group could easly be wrongly persecuted by, well, someone looking for a beef.

Saw an interesting (and very enlightening) discussion where a Strider fan (dealer?) thought Emerson was copying the design. I truly learned a LOT from that thread. Just because it's an Americanized Tanto and has cord wrap doesn't mean someone is trying to pass off their work as a Strider.

Should a maker give a list of all previous makers who influenced the knife's design? If I made a knife similar to a Strider, would it be more PC to call it a "Strider style" tanto much like people make "Loveless Style" blades or Bowies?

Robert this isn't directed at you, just something I wanted to ask for a while.

quijanos:

recently someone gave a link to some company in Asia "Chinese, Taiwanese, I dunno, coula been Pakistan for all I know) that had a copy of almost , if not the entire line of Strider fixed blades. Same bead blast look, same green cord wrap, same designs, and so on. Sure they were made of crappy materials, but the trouble is that they literally copied the designs and looks and are selling their knife line. That is terrible, and Robert is just wondering if Mick and Duane are doing anything about companies like the one mentioned above.

I'm sure that Mick and Duane wouldn't mind if I made a knife with the blade design of the WB if I asked them first and made it my own knife. But if I copied the entire fixed blad eline and tried selling them as Crayola Made Knives, I SHOULD be sued! Or at least visited by Mick in the night with a Kerambit :eek:

If you made your living from a specific product that had taken "YOU" ten plus years to develop and someone came along a used those ideas without a red cent in royalties you would be pissed also!

Unless you are self employed it is not easy to understand how that feels. I have owned my own company for the past 6yrs so I can relate.

I hate Lawyers but they are usefull when someone is stealing the food off your table.

The flip side to this is that in America good old competition keeps the economy strong.

The Strider guys will adapt and survive as they have in the past.

It just sucks :grumpy:

Hey there Robert,
And all…

Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do.
Make sure you are as up to date as you can be with patents. But that is hard to do when your busy working for a living. Plus there is the cost.
At the end of the day, your still fcked. When they are made over seas, you have no protection. You can keep them from being sold in the US but that is about it.

We don’t care when someone is inspired by our stuff. We like it.
But like you said, when it is your whole line of knives, it bugs the **** out of you.

What about you Mr. Robert, what do you do?

m

I think that one saving grace in this case is that anyone who would fork out $19.95 for Sur-gi-cal stainless steel and other "wonder" materials on a "fake Strider" is not the kind of person who'd be spending $300+ for a real knife.

apologize,
may have got a little warm

But copying someones work is definitely not taking food off the table of in regards to the work being discussed here. there's is not a comparison in the type of work here. As you all know (I hope), if you KNOW your knives (again), then you won't be buying the crap rip-offs. Anybody here own a house? Well what did you see out there? Sure you could find a place to live for $40k or $50k, of course, but it wouldnt be the same thing as a quality piece of property worth $150k+. I dont think the knowledgable general public (Stateside) is that ignorant or taken when presented by a low/cheap price for an item. I didnt say everyone, I said the knowledgable. Anyone with enough brains to write into this forum, should also have the faculties to comprehend a $7 dollar knife to a $300 knife are not the same and probably with good reason. I've seen them. I laughed. And I moved on. I doubt very seriously that Mick and the guys will miss any $7 dollar knife customers. Do you?
I'm not a knife maker (yet). By trade, I'm an Architect. And it has taken me several years to build my clientel, business and rep. I totally understand protecting your work. I have seen and personally had to use legal help in order to get paid (but not over copying work just yet). I know what MY time and materials is worth and charge accordingly. If I were Mick, I'd be pissed a hell myself. And then I'd let it go. What can be done about it? I had a short 8 years in the Corps and we were wrapping 550 cord (and similar) on old Bucks, Kabars, and other knives and sheaths. We did it to have extra cord 'just in case'. I learned this from a slick Airman (MP/PJ) from Texas named Fred A. He was primarily responsible for turning me on to Strider.
The advent of wrapping corded handles is not new although Mick may have been first to offer custom work/knives in this fashion on the open market. Something as simple and practical as wrapping a handle can be labeled as 'someones' idea when in fact when in fact it wasn't. But it WAS Mick's "good idea". He simply took an old idea made it look good again (Good Job).
I know I'm preaching to the choir but let those copies in Pakistan/Turkey and wherever stay where they are. In the cheap/copy catagory of production copies of custom work. It just aint the same.
I'm American by Birth and Texan by the Grace of God. I stay as loyal as I reasonably can purchasing American products (cars, hardware, clothing, etc.) I spend money generously and expect back something for it. I could be termed as a buyer that has a knack for 'buying with guarantee'. Like Strider.

Sorry Fred!
Q

Shane45-19111,
Thats a pretty good one! Can I use that? I'll just change my name to 'Newbie'. or will you want to sue me for using your idea? That about covers this thread here in a nutshell.

In regards to your flame war...I'd rather engage in fruitful conversation. I'd love to converse with you guys as much as possible but my time restricts it. So in light of that fact, I'll pass on playing on the computer and participate in other threads not so willing to SUE or wave threats of a FLAME WAR around. Obviously you haven't seen alot of war yourself.

This is exactly where my warmth for this subject has come.

Sorry Fred!

signed,
newbie , I'm sorry please don't sue me :(

Q

Hmmmmm.....14 posts and you come on this forum and tell people to "go sue themselves"? Then you try to educate me about flame wars????

Hardly justifies a response, but here it is. "Blow me."

come to my part of town.
here you get to see copies from mind boggling 1/32" thin rainbow colored "special titanium version" MH to exact copy of a BN in ATS-34. all with Strider logo imprinted.

might even be able to get a Gucci sheath for them too. forgot to ask.

as a consumer, the only right thing we can do is REFUSE TO BUY COPIES.

if people stop buying, people stop making.
rather simple really.:rolleyes:

Blow me? wow I mean I admit Q got off on a rocky start but he did come back rather eloquintly (damn spell check) but blow me that is the best you can do.... Sad really...one guy asks a logical question and someone who may or may not be new to this place get excited oh well but "Blow Me" that i think was a tad over the top.... BTW Loyalty will only get you so far Q your second post was nice better to temper then to flame.... of course this is just my opinion I could be right and not know it...

Have read all post in tread and still stand by what I said if he is a new guy you are not and to come with that comment is just as unneeded as were his original statements... But hey if you like to be confrontational have at it beat up on the new guys in the forum instead of trying to help them....what do I care... Just remember

...You too started once...

Its been a few days since I've been here. Firstly, thanks to BrandonMc this place has had some since of maturity. I admitted to coming across a bit warm on the subject a first, but; in light of my reply and subsequent post, a few things have been brought to light. One could say that a number of posts could have been accumulated rapidly with simple 2 word, 4 letter posts?! BrandonMc, perhaps now is an appropriate time for you to ask him to review the thread post himself and then respond. There are several points here that have been made evident (from this post):
*I may have come across a little heated in regards to the lawyers comment and then tried to explain my opinion clearly
*people will sue you if they feel you have violated them from their point of view (you should instead have policy in place rather than a knee jerk reaction to thinking that someone is copying your ideas)
*good to hear different (and same) point of views regarding topic, that enforces my opinion of having policy in place first.
*some individuals acccumulate posts by using the computer to vent their frustrations on topics (some may explain themselves making their point and some just sit on the other end summing up their feelings in 4 letter words, very eloquently).
*its good to know that others out there, that may or may not share your same opinion will stand up to riotous behavior ( in or out of this forum)
*its amazing how a person can feel like someone has made a point that they have to attack another comment with something as peevish as "blow me".

Who moderates this thing anyway? It seems as if there are children that chime in here occasionally, making comments to valid points. One would have to question the amount of posts, like this, versus that approximate age of someone with enough time on their hands to post this much and with comments like these?
If a moderator is reading this can they look into foul mouth comments left in an effort to trash up otherwise, adult conversations. Topics here seem to be adult in nature (i.e. knives/guns/weapons/etc) and dont need the someones perverted sexual desires and/or otherwise tasteless comments posted as a result of his inability to express himself effectively. Or is that what this place is about?

Sorry Fred!
Q

Q - you are missing the point. It was YOU who came on this forum telling a well respected and knowledgeable member like Robert to "go sue himself". Now you come here with your "holier than thou" attitude, trying to explain what is wrong with this thread!!!???? You started it dude. You tried to incite, with statements like telling a member to go sue himself, and this gem - "Half of our problems in this country are because of lawyers." Sure hope you never need one.

Then you half-assed apologized, while still trying to get your digs in towards me. Apologize completely, or don't say anything at all. It's like being a little bit pregnant. NO SUCH THING, dude. Yeah, you apologized...blah blah blah - whatever.

You have been a member for 3 months and made 14 posts. Robert has been a contributing member for over 1 year. I don't know him personally, but reading his posts shows he is intelligent and helpful.

Grow up and respect the work of honest, hard working guys like Mick Strider.

We all have every right to be pissed at plagerism. Maybe THAT is the real problem with "half this country".

You may want to look at some (or all) of my previous posts on BFC before you so quickly pass judgement on someone. I learned much here, and shared what I can of my own knowledge. My posts have been earned - they are not fluff.

Oh, and I got a headache trying to figure out what the hell you were trying to say in that last paragraph. :confused:

I have just read this thread and if I might be allowed this quick opportuntity to respond to your most recent post, please allow me this one question PRIOR to my follow-up that SHALL follow:

Why did you post such mindless dribble?

If you would so kindly answer, I can then provide you with a most eloquent sexual proposition..............Ira

:rolleyes:

Mindless dribble is what you get with 'blow me' (previous comment by Shane45-1911). Why did I post it? Because most of the comments made here by Shane45-1911 have not been constructive as they are destructive. I didn't half apologize. I did apologize and explained myself. theres only one way to do it and where he got a half?

Why dont Shane45 explain what he meant by ' blow me '.?

I still stand that there are too many lawyers in this country (probably not all for the good of us). More than any other country in the world. Example: Anti-Gun / Anti-knife Lobbyists and lawmakers dont make for the good of most of us in this forum. If there are gun and knife laws in your state...and I'm sure they are...then they were set in place (policy) to basically punish the law abidding citizens and restrict what we can do. The criminals will still carry illegal contraband regardless of what the laws state and the same type of lawyers will defend them.
And I hope that ya'll never need one either. And No, I dont mean it maliciously.
Do you disagree that 'Blow me' is out of line here? Do you have some sort of immunity when you achieve the 200 club # of postings or something? Do you then have a free card to post what you want especially when it doesnt contribute to the thread except flamage? Or does it just let you hide behind anynomity and poke at someone elses comments with malice? Whether he is your buddy or not, he's being immature (at least in this thread). Law suits are for people who really need them. As from the beginning of this thread. I dont think that Mick needs them. He will probably handle it on his own. Without the help or need for a lawyer. Mick will have to agree that wrapping handles and other aspects of his blades (tanto tips.etc.) are not his original ideas but ideas he improved upon. If he happens upon this link and reads this, I would dare to say he would agree. And I would dare to say that he would agree that 'blowing me' has it's place in other forums. Strider has some great work and they deserve to be compensated as well as complemented for their contributions to the knife industry.
They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
In this case Shane45 is flattering me. Its just a very bad attempt at imitation.

Sorry Fred!
Q

Back