Protection knife against wild animals.

Scandi Seax or a Scottish dirk (the big one not the boot knife)

This brings up a really good point - is there a preferable grind for using against wild animals? I remember a Finnish study that was done in the 70's that concluded the 7 out of 10 wolves succumbed to the Scandi grind, but the lead scientist was later implicated in a conspiracy to smuggle karambits into Peru in exchange for ayahuasca, throwing the entire research into question...

A moment of silence please....drum roll.......

[video=youtube;3R5gHF0vzew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R5gHF0vzew[/video]

Page. 20!

This brings up a really good point - is there a preferable grind for using against wild animals? I remember a Finnish study that was done in the 70's that concluded the 7 out of 10 wolves succumbed to the Scandi grind, but the lead scientist was later implicated in a conspiracy to smuggle karambits into Peru in exchange for ayahuasca, throwing the entire research into question...

My answer to any grind question is scandi however have bears historically been killed by that grind? Are there any data points for the USA? What are the odds back in the day of a mountain man with scandi vs. sow grizzly encounter? What are the odds Joe six pack has a custom bushcraft scandi like an Adventure Sworn or Skookum Bush Tool? It is BG Gerber or nothing these days. As this is a knife forum lets compare a few of mine. Maybe any Grizzly bears could also add their input.

Knife one:

Here is a Jeff White I got the other day.

5.5 inch blade, 1/8 thick 1095 with curly maple handles. Convex grind for maybe 1/3rd the blade. Betting more bears clashed claws against steel with something similar back in the day. Plus after the bear fight stropping is all that's required to get back a shaving sharp edge.

Knife two:

Mora Robust.

4 inch blade, 1/8 inch, 1095 with plastic handle. Some say a pure scandi can chip others say a micro bevel helps. That is a debate for another day but what if the bear finds out you're stabbing it with a 12 dollar knife? I think 50 bucks is the cutoff, pun intended. This offers the bear dignity. Granted using more expensive custom "bushcraft" knives like a Ray Mears Bushlore knife would offer the proper respect for the animal however given the 75,000 year backlog that's just not happening. Also most are living the easy life as safe queens so we are back to the Mora.

Based on my pseudo scientific review any knife used for self defense against a bear must resemble a mountain man knife, whatever the heck that is. Also it must be convex because of the constant use fighting off bears. Less chipping etc.

Last edited:
It took me all of 5 mins research to discover killing a bear with a knife is not only possible its been a human rite of passage in many cultures in Europe though history and survival of said rite the norm, with some Eastern Russian tribes still practicing it.
It basicly boiled down to boy sent out alone with knife.. boy had to bring back bear pelt etc.

Lets do this from the bear perspective.

Bear 1 Hey fellow bears, im looking to kill and eat a human, I know not to go after them if they have those long stick things that go boom.. but what about those silvery shiney retractable claw thing.. its not very long my claws are longer... and I have 10 of them.

Bear 2 hey yeah sure.. go right ahead you can run them down as they are slow as anything then just eat them they have very weak bones and are easy to kill...

bear 3 Easy to kill? I had a buddy who tried that, the human despite having a crushed wrist broken leg and bleeding everywhere wouldnt stop stabbing with that little claw.. it may not look like like much but he died before the human did.. i got to eat them both but so :).

bear 4 LOLZ funny shhiitzzz thinking you can kill and eat a humanzzzz morons ask this every month and its always a grizzly you know how they are.

Bear 5 Whoo page 18 WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bear 6 Cant kill humans? I got a buddy that goes out city every week and bags 10 of them during hunting season without fail till they got protected and such. True story bro....

Bear 7 I just want to say RAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

:thumbup:Best:thumbup: Post! :thumbup:

Myself, I believe a fixed chair is better than a folder. YMMV :D

kelsyus.jpg

Man Defends Himself From Dog with Chair

A Hot Springs man has been issued a citation for Vicious Dog after the dog attacked his neighbor on his back porch.

According to the report, the complainant stated that his neighbor’s dog came onto his back porch and attacked him. According to the report, the complainant had to pick up a chair from his patio and defend himself from the animal.

http://hotspringsdaily.com/man-defends-himself-from-dog-with-chair/
Hot Springs South Dakota?
I have a freind there

This attack must have been the excitment for the whole year

Ultimate anti bear knife.

The Knife Gun...
Oldschool Tacticool
It was a real weapon and it was even used in war.. just saying...

xxx-sold-xxxx-very-rare-pinfire-knife-pistol-by-dumonthier-circa-1865.-american-civil-war-era.-with-its-original-leather-scabbard.-ref-7113-%5B2%5D-94-p.jpg

Like me, I know all of you on this thread are thinking right now:

"Say, what would happen if a 600 lb Great NorthWest brown bear were to fight a 14', 1100 lb Florida alligator? Where can I observe this geographically unlikely death match for my internet armchair amusement?"

Well, the good humanitarian folks at Animal Planet have read your mind and created a truly junior high school CGI of just such a matchup on their website. The computer animation will make you long for the good old days of Claymation (tm). But it must be scientifically accurate, because you know, Science, and it has to be true or the President would not let them put it up on the Internet.

Spoiler alert: the focus groups must have been sentimentally mammal-centric, because the animation depicts the bear killing the 1100 lb gator by rolling all 14 feet of it over on its back and clawing its Jurassic underbelly a little, at which the gator dies of embarrassment at being in the video at all.

So if you can kill a bear with your knife you can honestly say you could have killed a 14 ft gator with your knife, since the past
prey of your trophy is also your trophy, or something.
So as Carl the greenskeeper would say, 'so we got that going for us. Which is nice.'

Last edited:
Almost accurate. I will effect changes in your post for greater accuracy with events.

Haha, it looks like it says the same thing? Not knocking the knife thing; that's pretty awesome. Just saying the guy was more than asking for it.

Back