• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Prototype Benchmade 940 *super rare*

I recently picked this one up. It saw some use from the previous owner but it's a 2002 prototype and I've never seen another one like it. To the best of my knowledge, this is a prototype of the limited run of silver benchmade 940's they made. I've never actually seen another one of these and after spending hours researching it, I'm coming up with no answers. I've contacted benchmade for some information but I'm assuming this one is one of the only ones, and perhaps only one, out there. This one has been used so the blade shows some signs of use, though the lockup and centering are great. It's also incredibly smooth (I've had a few 940's and this is the smoothest by far). The blade steel is 154cm and the handles have a very nice feel to them. The backspacer is anodized light blue and matches the grey very well. The knife comes with a grey benchmade protective hard case and clip.

O1axGhr.jpg

mzsTQAR.jpg

xvcX5Ss.jpg

BFAhg9S.jpg

I have no interest in fixed blade unless its a spyderco street beat. No interest in knives over 3.5 inches either. I'd love a gentleman's folder (Mnandi or WH), but I'm open to anything to be honest. I'm interested in hinderer's and hinderer goodies (silver skull filler tab, and/or blue standoffs, nice clips, etc). Also interested in high end japanese cutlery - shun, miyabi, Tamahagane, etc. I'd also be very interested in a starlingear pendant. I'm pretty open to offers though. I'd consider selling it but I'd also see what I can get in a trade. I can add cash or take cash on any deal. Just send me an email or a PM with an offer and we can work something out.

Last edited:
Wow - unfortunately I have to fold this hand, but I couldn't resist chiming in and saying how BEAUTIFUL that knife is...stunning! Good luck w/ your deal.

If your knife has a closed back with an anodized Titanium spacer, it probably has an Aluminum handle. My Titanium 940/943's have an open back with stand offs. The Carbon fiber handles also have a spacer like the Aluminum ones. The C/F models weigh 72gm. The Al models weigh 82gm. The Ti models weigh 92gm. Your blade is probably CM 154 rather than CPM 154. It would be 15% Cr and 4% Mo, but not powder steel.

If your knife has a closed back with an anodized Titanium spacer, it probably has an Aluminum handle. My Titanium 940/943's have an open back with stand offs. The Carbon fiber handles also have a spacer like the Aluminum ones. The C/F models weigh 72gm. The Al models weigh 82gm. The Ti models weigh 92gm. Your blade is probably CM 154 rather than CPM 154. It would be 15% Cr and 4% Mo, but not powder steel.

154CM, not CM 154

Nice knife!

Thanks for the info and compliments, I updated the OP and added some better pictures. Let me know if anyone wants a specific angle or picture.

This is still available and I'm open to all offers :)

Reactions: 001
DSC02054_zps0dae869a.jpg
Here's what you have, you have the prototype of the Benchmade Osborne Axis 940 TI(Titanium). The knife came out in late 2002 and was limited to a run of 500 knives. The Osborne Axis 940 TI it's self is rare, but the Prototype of the Osborne Axis 940 TI is even more rare. Possibly you may have the rarest Benchmade Osborne 940 ever!
DSC02054_zps0dae869a.jpg.html

Back