Pt

How many of you do PT on a regular basis? How often. This ties into my question on rest periods, but how often should an individual do strenuous PT? Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, ect... For those that do PT how do combine it with weight lifting? Thanks in advance.
Peter

since i'm old and arthritic i take it easy - biking 3X a week for about 1.5 to 2 hours, and gym (bench press, some arm stuff, deadlifts, squats (light now)takes about 45 minutes to do, and alternate things around) dont run much anymore due to a bad knee but its the bomb if ya can do it - also 200 pushups/200 situps every morning, and some stretching helps too --

my routine

day 1

benchpress
universal bench press
flyes
incline/decline bench (1 one wk, 1 next...)

day 2

pullups w/35lbs weight
military press behind neck
military press dumbell
tricep extensions
preacher curls
std curls
close grip bench press

day 3

squats/deadlifts (alternate)
HEAVY shrugs
leg press

that and bike 3X a week is about it, bike 1 day, gym next, and so on - take off a week every now and then and rest up too - not saying its the best, just what works for me.....

greg

Hello,
Trainers will tell you 48 hours between muscle groups. If you have ever been in the 'PIT' at M.C.R.D. you'll know that it just aint true.
Try incorperating massage...it will expedite the rest period.
Semper Fi

My job is physically demanding, so I guess you could say that I work out every day:(
Because of that, and the fact that I seem to be constantly nursing some injury or another this year, I haven't spent much time in the gym (let my membership lapse, too).
When I'm in gym rat mode, one intense workout a week per muscle group is all I can stand, anything more is overtraining, for me, and I don't make any gains-just feel beat up all the time.
As it is, I'm doing pushups and pullups on the job (maybe once a week), and use some 50lb weights we use for calibrating scales for dumbbell curls, lightweight rows, and stuff like that.
I've always combined calisthenics with weight training, usually as a warmup (like 5x10 of chins before heavy pulldowns, or a couple of sets of 50 pushups before bench pressing, etc.). Haven't done them as a sole source of PT except for times when I didn't have access or time for weights-been working out with weights on and off since I was 13.
Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with the Stairmaster, so I haven't done any running in a long while, either.

All I've got at the house is a basic bench and about 200lbs of weight+a pair of 30lb dumbbells, so I do some high rep rows, benches and squats occasionally, and shoulder work. I could be doing alot more, and need to start hitting the weights more often....I've gotten really lazy, lately, when away from work.
Talking about it is one thing...getting off my dead ass is another:eek:

I try to work out 5 to 6 days a week and rather than cycle the muscle groups I cycle the intensity. My whole workout is some type of aerobic (running, swimming, machine, ect.) for 20 to 30 minutes, kickboxing type of a thing for 20 to 30 minutes (or 10 minutes if I use dumbells and ankleweights or whatever if I'm in a group training) and then strength (push-ups, pull-ups, abs and plyometrics). Most people like weights, but they are rough on my joints and spine - that's just me, though.
And your enthusiasm for training might tell you where to be in the intensity or rest cycle. Sometimes it's good to just go through the motions using good technique and then stretch out real well - NO BOUNCING or JOINT PAIN.

500 Pushups
500 Bent Knee Situps
500 4-Count FlutterKicks
50 PullUps(Palms Away)
Running (1.5 miles and working on going farther *L*)

Daily... And not all in one chunk. Done in reps of 50. PullUps done every 2 cycles in reps of 10.

Form is everything!

Sundays are official sit on my duff and do nothing days.

I'm 32.

Back