Photos Puma White Hunter Identification Help!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of knife collecting. I just inherited a bunch of knives from my Grandfather and I need help identifying a knife that's made by Puma. It's a Puma White Hunter 6377. From what I understand it's a good collectors piece. It's been in storage for a long time so I don't think it's in perfect condition but it's in fairly good shape. Can anyone tell me more about this particular knife? I've also read that it's value could be anywhere from $250-$1,000. Which is a big price difference how can I narrow down closer to what it's actually worth. I'd post pictures but I can't seem to get it to work for me. Any help or guidance is appreciated!

First, I think you need a paid membership to ask about values. Nice knife, I used to drool over one in a local knife shop forty-ish years ago when I was a kid. Looks like it was carried quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about value, clean it, and use it. Great knife to inherit.

Grizz

First, I think you need a paid membership to ask about values. Nice knife, I used to drool over one in a local knife shop forty-ish years ago when I was a kid. Looks like it was carried quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about value, clean it, and use it. Great knife to inherit.

Grizz
Ahh ok I didn’t know about the paid membership thing. Thanks for letting me know. It’s a great knife. I’m happy I have it.

Look on ebay. They come up for sale quite often. Many Puma knives have a date code, which should be 5 small numbers on the tang. This one looks to be a pre-1964 model with no date code?
The 4 figure numbers come with perfect condition, in the box with papers etc.
Don't be tempted to sell it just because it might be valued at a few hundred. Its a family heirloom, and that can't be exchanged for the newest iPhone....or shouldn't be anyhow....

Don’t worry I’m not selling it. I just wanted to know the value because I’ve got a bunch knives from him and this one is of such high value that I’m considering adding it to my home insurance. I also inherited some vintage firearms and they’re going on there as well. So I’d rather do that all in one go rather than as I figure out one at a time.

Don’t worry I’m not selling it. I just wanted to know the value because I’ve got a bunch knives from him and this one is of such high value that I’m considering adding it to my home insurance. I also inherited some vintage firearms and they’re going on there as well. So I’d rather do that all in one go rather than as I figure out one at a time.
But now that I think of it for this purpose I’ll just register it on the high end of things.

On the guard there should be a 5 digit number, enter it at the site below or use the chart :) -

https://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/knifeAge.aspx .

GuideToCollect.gif

They were first made in 1956.

Last edited:
On the guard there should be a 5 digit number, enter it at the site below or use the chart :) -

GuideToCollect.gif

Thanks for the link, my first "serious" knife is my Puma General folder, I could not remember when I had bought it, thanks to the link I now know that it was made in the second half of 1979. So I guess I bought in 1979 or 1980, at the time I wanted something different than a Buck 110.
puma.jpg

Reactions: nod
Whenever I want to know the current or recent selling price of a pre-owned/vintage knife I look the knife up at Arizona Customs. It's a well-known and heavily used online knife consignment shop. Unlike Ebay, which often only shows asking prices, AC shows what people were actually willing to pay for knives (knives marked as "sold").

Several versions of Puma White Hunters have been sold at AC over the past few years (including a few 6377's). Do a search for "Puma", you'll have to look through several other knives to find the White Hunters.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Whenever I want to know the current or recent selling price of a pre-owned/vintage knife I look the knife up at Arizona Customs. It's a well-known and heavily used online knife consignment shop. Unlike Ebay, which often only shows asking prices, AC shows what people were actually willing to pay for knives (knives marked as "sold").

Several versions of Puma White Hunters have been sold at AC over the past few years (including a few 6377's). Do a search for "Puma", you'll have to look through several other knives to find the White Hunters.
Ebay has selling prices if you use the "completed listings" option in the search engine.....and they sell many more knives than any knife shop ever did....The list shows there have been some 100 or so Puma White Hunters offered and sold in the past 2 months alone, along with purchase prices.

Ebay has selling prices if you use the "completed listings" option in the search engine.....and they sell many more knives than any knife shop ever did....The list shows there have been some 100 or so Puma White Hunters offered and sold in the past 2 months alone, along with purchase prices.

Make sure you search for sold auctions, not completed. Completed auctions will include the knives that didn't sell because the seller had a fantasy about it being worth far more than anyone was willing to pay.

Make sure you search for sold auctions, not completed. Completed auctions will include the knives that didn't sell because the seller had a fantasy about it being worth far more than anyone was willing to pay.
Yes, but that leaves out some listings such as Buy-it-now with best offer. To see everything that got sold its best to use the completed listings option.

Very nice White Hunter. I try to collect vintage Puma pocket/folding knives myself.
It takes some effort to find nice unused ones for reasonable prices.
Only the unused knives WITH original box and Garanty Card are worth the high prices.
If yours is made post date code, you should find it stamped in the guard.
The sheath suggests it's a very old version. A beautiful heirloom.

GuideToCollect.gif

Are they still putting the date codes on the knives today? I received a new one yesterday and I couldn't find a date code.

Thanks for the link, my first "serious" knife is my Puma General folder, I could not remember when I had bought it, thanks to the link I now know that it was made in the second half of 1979. So I guess I bought in 1979 or 1980, at the time I wanted something different than a Buck 110.
View attachment 1795727

That's a great knife! I had one given to me by my German father-in-law. I used to use the knife to gut fish in a stream and that knife never rusted. I have since given the knife to my son as it came from his grandfather. I got the knife new in the late seventies and it did have a date code on it.

Reactions: TC
Are they still putting the date codes on the knives today? I received a new one yesterday and I couldn't find a date code.

That's a good question, judging from new production knives on the website, I think they might've done away with it. Sad.

Back