Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Horsewright Horsewright back in the late 90's when I was going to school in Prescott and doing fences in the summer, we used to stop by a great diner in Williams for breakfast when the stars aligned and we had a job in Williams, Flagstaff, or up towards the canyon. Heck if I can remember the name though. Will need to look on Google maps and see if it's still there.

ETA - Nope, looks like it's a pizza place now. :(

Last edited:
Great pictures Dave, looks like a good time!
Thank you sir!

Horsewright Horsewright back in the late 90's when I was going to school in Prescott and doing fences in the summer, we used to stop by a great diner in Williams for breakfast when the stars aligned and we had a job in Williams, Flagstaff, or up towards the canyon. Heck if I can remember the name though. Will need to look on Google maps and see if it's still there.

ETA - Nope, looks like it's a pizza place now. :(
We went to Goldie's Route 66 Diner. It was great, just regular food and good service. It had like a 5 star rating on one review place Josh looked at.

So much to catch up with around here. The Grand Canyon is awesome in snow. I miss northern Arizona, southern not so much though there is some nice wild desert down there. The south eastern corner of Utah by the Arizona border is a beautiful and desolate place. I've lived across a pretty good spread of the country and the desert is what I miss the most.

I've got 4 brut de forge knives getting ready for GAW's. I had one I wasn't happy with so I did a little destruction test. It was ground too thin and I just didn't like the profile, something just wasn't right. You're gonna have to work hard to break one of these.

I started by putting the blade in a vise and bending it back and forth in both directions. You can see it's probably 120 plus degrees or more, I ran out of room, I pushed it all the way until the tube was touching at the bottom. There's about 3/4" of blade in the jaws.
20240314_155904-02.jpeg

I wanted to stress it out before bending it so I beat the hell out of the edge on steel and chopped some nails. You can see the damage it took, no chipping though, and not catastrophic. For as thin as the blade was I was happy with the result. The blade was ground way too thin from edge to spine (part of the reason I scrapped it) so I knew flexibility wouldn't be an issue and after cranking it back and forth. It took a set but never broke.

20240314_160148-01.jpeg

I put the handle in the vise next and bent it a tight 90 degrees. I had the tube closer to the jaws when bending, that's why it folded so tight, I backed it off to get more leverage to snap it and check the grain.

20240330_152746-01.jpeg

I don't think you can get grain much finer than that. Four thermal cycles after forging does the trick with 52100 (a 1675, a 1550, and two 1450's cooled to black in between each). A million ways to do it, that's what works best for me.

20240330_153035-01.jpeg

Overall I'm pleased with the results, in normal or even hard use things should hold up. Just a little insight to the nerdy things knifemakers do.

In kids news, the blade below is straight off the anvil from Roy. He has an eye for design and listens really well. I coached him but this was all him. A really nice kind of gun stock handle with a really well proportioned clip. I have a hard time getting that length right and I think he freaking nailed it.
20240331_132739-01.jpeg

His anvil is setting in sand now and solid as a rock. A 57 Chevy driving around for good luck.
20240401_122645-02.jpeg

Here's both of our setups. Mine is in a steel drum filled with sand. His weighs around 140lbs and mine over 500. You wanna talk about a solid thunk when you hit that with a hammer, it's amazing.
20240327_130226-01.jpeg

So much to catch up with around here. The Grand Canyon is awesome in snow. I miss northern Arizona, southern not so much though there is some nice wild desert down there. The south eastern corner of Utah by the Arizona border is a beautiful and desolate place. I've lived across a pretty good spread of the country and the desert is what I miss the most.

I've got 4 brut de forge knives getting ready for GAW's. I had one I wasn't happy with so I did a little destruction test. It was ground too thin and I just didn't like the profile, something just wasn't right. You're gonna have to work hard to break one of these.

I started by putting the blade in a vise and bending it back and forth in both directions. You can see it's probably 120 plus degrees or more, I ran out of room, I pushed it all the way until the tube was touching at the bottom. There's about 3/4" of blade in the jaws.
View attachment 2542283

I wanted to stress it out before bending it so I beat the hell out of the edge on steel and chopped some nails. You can see the damage it took, no chipping though, and not catastrophic. For as thin as the blade was I was happy with the result. The blade was ground way too thin from edge to spine (part of the reason I scrapped it) so I knew flexibility wouldn't be an issue and after cranking it back and forth. It took a set but never broke.

View attachment 2542287

I put the handle in the vise next and bent it a tight 90 degrees. I had the tube closer to the jaws when bending, that's why it folded so tight, I backed it off to get more leverage to snap it and check the grain.

View attachment 2542288

I don't think you can get grain much finer than that. Four thermal cycles after forging does the trick with 52100 (a 1675, a 1550, and two 1450's cooled to black in between each). A million ways to do it, that's what works best for me.

View attachment 2542299

Overall I'm pleased with the results, in normal or even hard use things should hold up. Just a little insight to the nerdy things knifemakers do.
One of the reasons I love 52100!!! Tough, fine grain, takes a great edge and holds it pretty well. Sure, it can patina/rust, but not terribly if you at least half-assed take care of it. It’s a great all-round steel! :cool: 👍

In kids news, the blade below is straight off the anvil from Roy. He has an eye for design and listens really well. I coached him but this was all him. A really nice kind of gun stock handle with a really well proportioned clip. I have a hard time getting that length right and I think he freaking nailed it.
View attachment 2542303

His anvil is setting in sand now and solid as a rock. A 57 Chevy driving around for good luck.
View attachment 2542305

Here's both of our setups. Mine is in a steel drum filled with sand. His weighs around 140lbs and mine over 500. You wanna talk about a solid thunk when you hit that with a hammer, it's amazing.
View attachment 2542306
That’s ALL just cool as hell! Roy has a hell of an eye! 🤯

My 3 year old found his first morel this morning. I couldn't have been more proud. He was walking behind me and said he saw a mushroom. I turned around expecting him to point to anything other than an actual mushroom. I couldn't believe it. Proud dad moment! We cut it down with my new spear point cowbell. 20240414_082938.jpg

My 3 year old found his first morel this morning. I couldn't have been more proud. He was walking behind me and said he saw a mushroom. I turned around expecting him to point to anything other than an actual mushroom. I couldn't believe it. Proud dad moment! We cut it down with my new spear point cowbell. View attachment 2551139
Very cool!

One of my posts got jailed this morning. It contained this offensive picture and was removed because of its offensiveness. Full disclosure its highly controversial and should be viewed my mature audiences only:

Here's the pic. Best keep the kids away John:

zaCb1yX.jpg

I warned ya!

My 3 year old found his first morel this morning. I couldn't have been more proud. He was walking behind me and said he saw a mushroom. I turned around expecting him to point to anything other than an actual mushroom. I couldn't believe it. Proud dad moment! We cut it down with my new spear point cowbell. View attachment 2551139
As a man who grows and forages mushrooms professionally, I approve of this post! I'm sending your son an internet high-five. :)

One of my posts got jailed this morning. It contained this offensive picture and was removed because of its offensiveness. Full disclosure its highly controversial and should be viewed my mature audiences only:

Here's the pic. Best keep the kids away John:

zaCb1yX.jpg

I warned ya!
richard-simmons-shocked.gif

I'm sorry I misled ya. It wasn't this pic above that was banned as I thought. it was this one that was banned:

Px1jfaI.jpg

Oh and lost the two click appeal!
Oh that ones even more terrible and offensive! It's getting ridiculous over there with the account restrictions over there with knifemakers. There's the option of deleting the restricted posts to get your account back to being seen but I'm too stubborn to comply with that kind of thing.

Oh that ones even more terrible and offensive! It's getting ridiculous over there with the account restrictions over there with knifemakers. There's the option of deleting the restricted posts to get your account back to being seen but I'm too stubborn to comply with that kind of thing.
Ya know funny thing is they don't even tell ya what is offensive. I figured it out! The first pic is of course non threatening as it is pointed to the “right”. The second is obviously very threatening as it is pointing to the “left.” Quien Sabe?

Ya know funny thing is they don't even tell ya what is offensive. I figured it out! The first pic is of course non threatening as it is pointed to the “right”. The second is obviously very threatening as it is pointing to the “left.” Quien Sabe?
Their A.I. program was just jealous of that lever action! I just changed my account type from Professional to Personal, you lose some of the functions but it looks like they don't block your account from being seen by folks outside of your followers, instead they just suppress it and don't tell you 😄

Back