Recommendation? Pursue Grail? - or get a . . .

Unfortunately, what I have found (after obtaining my grail, the same as yours: NMSFNO) is that it is so precious to me that I use in minimally. Which is quite sad, as it is one of the best knives I have picked up.

All that being said, the Hell Razor is a close second to the NMSFNO, quite honestly. And I have 4 now (one older non-CBT Combat Grade Hell Razor with 6" blade, two BG Hell Razors, and now the Hell Razor 2). I have used one of the BGHRs extensively, and it is a fantastic blade. I haven't had the opportunity to use the HR2 yet, but based on my previous experience, I expect it to be fantastic as well.

So, I would say continue to pursue your grail. But recognize that once you get one, you'll want a second. Because it is such a great blade, you won't want to find yourself in a position without it.

Hope that all makes sense. Bottom Line: go for the NMSFNO. But recognize the risk of getting just one. And realize the HR2, or any Hell Razor, is 99% there. At least it was for me. Now I can freely use either the NMSFNO or the HR2, knowing that they are easily back-ups to each other.

Zombieassassin: always good to hear from a (former) owner that I am on the right path - thanks! I hope you get yourself another one soon!
And re Twiz, that is good to know and you are not the first to contact me and say so. (I was finally able to get a viable email out to him and hope to connect soon!)

Dogboye: Yes, that all makes great sense, actually. I know what you mean about there being some designs for which one is just not enough. As I alluded earlier, the ASH-1 is like that for me. I personally have a rule against safe queens (if I do not use something at least once a year, I have to get rid of it. But then, I was raised by terrible hoarders, so that is my absolute RULE as a response!), therefore one is usually enough, but with the ASH-1 in particular I have several. I reconcile my RULE with this behavior by telling myself that all of them are different versions and therefore not the same thing, AND I do use them all. But I know I am verging on "having for the sake of having" nonetheless! (Sadly, Ruger No. 1's are like this for me also :) ) So, I know that it is possible that the NMSFNO will be the same for me. We will see, and I am looking forward to finding out! :) When this happens, one can just hope to keep it "reasonable."

As for the HR2, I may have to get one at some point as I have always liked the HR and Mud. Not as an alternative, but for its own sake. Good to hear it is such a good all-'rounder for you! Encouraging! Still, I just don't know about CBT. I have never had one with that feature. I acknowledge that my objection may be based solely on aesthetics, which, although a valid consideration, is not and should not be the final word on just about anything save pure art for the sake of art (and though knives can be art, as I stated previously I believe in users - for myself that is).

Dogboye, not to go too far off-topic, but how do you feel about the new, improved Special Forces handle compared to the original? It looks like it is perhaps more "streamlined" or refined for lack of better words and not having handled them myself. Perhaps smaller all over? - kinda like the Nano Fusion and the old, original Fusion?

Hmmmm... to answer that, I probably should compare the side by side.

The only thing I FELT like I immediately noticed is the updated/improved SF handle, or scales, that is, do not feel as deeply contoured. But, as soon as I get a chance, I’ll pull both and check.

Dogboye, not to go too far off-topic, but how do you feel about the new, improved Special Forces handle compared to the original? It looks like it is perhaps more "streamlined" or refined for lack of better words and not having handled them myself. Perhaps smaller all over? - kinda like the Nano Fusion and the old, original Fusion?
Resizer_15601903037483.jpg
The original Hell Razors have much thinner blade stock and scales. I didn't put the calipers on them but I will tomorrow

I pulled out my HR2, a BG HR, and a BG SFNO. I guess the HR2 has an improved SF handle area, since Jerry said so. But I’m apparently unworthy of the improvement. Because I couldn’t feel one bit of difference. Not unmistakably. MAYBE the HR2 scales/handle is a little thicker? But that could just be my imagination, wanting to figure out what the difference is.

Now, the Nano-Fusion grip vs Fusion grip is unmistakably different. Even I can feel that. But I couldn’t tell a difference on the SF handle. Sorry I’m not much help.

Hold out for the grail... in 5 years you wont even remember the $ you spent but you'll love the blade like you did day 1

Thanks, guys! Looks like the new SF feels much the same, but rather than being "more refined" in the way one might think, it is actually thicker. Odd, because in an overhead view it looks less robust. Interesting.
Not a single one of ya's has said to forego the NMSFNO no matter how much you like the HR/2 and/or NFSH. And those knives are well-liked by this group, too. Really says something about both the NMSFNO and the absolute need for one's Grail!

Here’s a pic to add here :) :)

BE588BF5-0C43-4B6D-A996-360E66FE37C1.jpeg

I’d be in on a forsaken NMSFNO :) a nice high saber grind :)

Hmmm . . . perhaps I have unwittingly tapped into a need here with an off-hand remark?! Perhaps I shall throw it out there on a new thread?!

Super nice photo, Duramax! I really appreciate the side-by-side with my known fave, ASH-1!

Ken has hooked me up with my grail! My very first NMSFNO! And he did it while he was in the middle of a move no less at like 3AM after a hard day of moving and having to look through everything boxed up to do it! Not only that, but he hooked me up at the same time with the Pork Shank I have been hunting to replace the one I gave my father (who got me into customs as a wee shaver so many decades ago) to partially offset knives he lost when the home I grew up in burnt to the ground recently without insurance. AND he did me a package deal at what I will categorize to be a "deal." Ahem. :)

Thank you Hogs and Ken especially! WooHoo!!!

Ken has hooked me up with my grail! My very first NMSFNO! And he did it while he was in the middle of a move no less at like 3AM after a hard day of moving and having to look through everything boxed up to do it! Not only that, but he hooked me up at the same time with the Pork Shank I have been hunting to replace the one I gave my father (who got me into customs as a wee shaver so many decades ago) to partially offset knives he lost when the home I grew up in burnt to the ground recently without insurance. AND he did me a package deal at what I will categorize to be a "deal." Ahem. :)

Thank you Hogs and Ken especially! WooHoo!!!
Ken is an awesome guy and has a great collection!

Congrats on the NMSFNO and Pork Shank! May they serve you for years to come

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. I haven’t had much spare time lately to be on here but I’m glad I was able to help a fellow hog out. Since we are in the middle of a move I’ve come to find out I have a huge collection and need to downsize. If anyone is looking for something feel free to message me.

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. I haven’t had much spare time lately to be on here but I’m glad I was able to help a fellow hog out. Since we are in the middle of a move I’ve come to find out I have a huge collection and need to downsize. If anyone is looking for something feel free to message me.

Do you have any FMV14s, Hell Razors, Tank Busters, or Geminis that you're looking to get rid of? ;););)

Back