Push Dagger ?

Are Push Daggers illegal to carry because they are daggers or because of their shape ? I'm trying to figure out if someone made a single edge push knife would it be illegal to carry ?

Interpretations vary. Some communities, I believe, specifically call out for double-edged daggers as illegal.

Others list them as dangerous weapons, which is interpreted differently.

Still other communities go by intent of the person carrying the weapon. A push dagger is not a good tool for cutting rope, batoning wood, opening packages, or slicing tape. In some eyes, the only reason you would carry one is "as a weapon," which makes them illegal to carry.

I imagine my post here is of no help to you.

In my part of the world, it wouldn't matter if it was double edged or not--it would be illegal either way. The law says any knife which is held in a fist with the blade protruding between two fingers is illegal. You need to read up on your state and local laws.

I asked some local LEOs and their response was "Uggghhhhhh, I dunno." The laws I can find only talk about length and concealed carry, I'll take another look though ...

In Canada at least, it would be because it's a dagger... many an ulu has a similar shape, but because it's a traditional utility blade, we let it sliiiiiide. Then again, I don't see a lot of folk carrying ulus this far south.

There's a design I've seen in a museum showing a kind of bar attached to a push dagger, such that if you clenched it in the hand you'd get a fairly good grip on it. The commercially available models with the small T-shaped handle would not work well and probably fold back against your fingers if encountering any serious resistance. They really seem like poor weapons given that much stronger and better tools exist. Like, say, almost any other kind of knife.

In Canada at least, it would be because it's a dagger... many an ulu has a similar shape, but because it's a traditional utility blade, we let it sliiiiiide. Then again, I don't see a lot of folk carrying ulus this far south.

I like this idea. "Officer, it's not a push dagger; it's a modernized modification of the traditional ulu."

I asked some local LEOs and their response was "Uggghhhhhh, I dunno." The laws I can find only talk about length and concealed carry, I'll take another look though ...

i was an LEO, for several years. i can tell you this - NEVER ask a cop a specific legal question, unless (1) you are doing to solely for entertainment purposes or (2) it falls under his particular area of expertise.

this is by no way a slam on LEO's. i say "particular area of expertise" because it is totally unrealistic to expect any LEO to completely understand the 42 bazillion laws, in his/her state. if you catch a really cool LEO, who isn't busy, he/she might just grab his statute book and chill with ya for the few minutes it takes to look it up. i've been known to do this. unfortunately, ALOT of LEO's are to proud to say "i don't know". so they pull some bravo siera out their backside and pitch it as the gospel. as a result, i've heard MANY people puke this misinformation back up with total confidence they were steered in the right direction.

NOW, alot of them DO have an area of expertise. i was the "violent crimes investigator" for my agency. so.... Chapter 790 :thumbup: however, you ask me a traffic question and i'd tell you "ya got me, i don't run alot of traffic" what i really meant was "i couldn't care less about traffic" i have a reason, but that's a different topic.

as for the push daggers. i can tell ya why they're not kosher to conceal in FL - because they are NOT "a common pocket knife".

btw - you should appreciate the "i dunno" because it was an honest answer and the world needs more honest cops

Are Push Daggers illegal to carry because they are daggers or because of their shape ? I'm trying to figure out if someone made a single edge push knife would it be illegal to carry ?

In Alabama, the code seems to indicate that it is only illegal if concealed, so open carry should be fine. However, Alabama doesn't allow you to conceal any fixed blade knife or oversized folder that will not fit entirely "into a trouser pocket."

There are a few single-edged push knives I've seen. Some, like the Safekeeper III, are pretty good utility knives.

Zignal Zero- I did appreciate the honest answer, I'd rather here "I don't know look here." than "I think . .. ".
Tyr- That's what I'm trying to figure out, if someone carried or made a smaller push dagger that could fit in the pocket, would it be legal to carry, back to the interwebs I guess.

Tyr- That's what I'm trying to figure out, if someone carried or made a smaller push dagger that could fit in the pocket, would it be legal to carry, back to the interwebs I guess.

Well, according to my interpretation of AL penal code, all fixed blades appear illegal for concealed carry, regardless of blade length. BUT . . . if it is properly concealed who's to know, unless they search you for suspicion of being suspicious or something. Anyway, it is only a misdemeanor, so it is probably a $500 fine and a month in gaol if you get caught (for a first offense). If you think that's a fair trade off, go for it . . . but may as well go all the way and do double edged since its the same charge anyway.

Here's the best thing I can say, First off benchmade sells a push dagger and it's restricted to LEO/MIL only. I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T carry a push dagger it has weapon written all over it, it just isn't a tool. It's like brass knuckles which are illegal as well. If you already have one I'd keep it at home.

Depends on the State. They are not illegal in Arizona or Idaho to carry or possess. Other States, like Connecticut for example, they are illegal to carry, but not illegal to possess in your dwelling. You would need to delve into your local laws concerning daggers etc. Remember there are local ordinances particular to a county, town or city concerning weapons as well.

Back